LED Strips

[quote=“RexBeckett, post:25, topic:185698”][quote=“smwein, post:24, topic:185698”]Trying to get this work with my strip LEDs. I have the LED controller connect to wifi bridge and everything works. But it doesn’t seem to work via the plugin. Also I’m running UI7. Is that the problem? Any help would greatly appreciated.

Thanks[/quote]

I have not yet released the version for UI7. The changes are required to fix the UI, though. Version 1.0 should work on UI7 although not all the controls can be used.

Here’s the debug checklist:

1. You have lamps enrolled on the bridge and can control them with the smartphone app.
 2. The bridge has a constant IP address set on the bridge or with the router.
 3. You have set[b] ip[/b] in the plugin's [b]Advanced[/b] tab to match the bridge.
 4. The port number at the end of [b]ip[/b] is correct for the bridge. Recent bridges use 8899
 5. You have set [b]Group[/b] on the [b]Advanced[/b] tab to match where your lamps are enrolled (1 - 4).[/quote]

Hi Rex,

Thanks for creating a full set of plugins! I’m having a problem getting them working, have you seen this before:

I’ve checked the debug items above, and am OK with 1-4. For 5, there isn’t a Groupon the Advanced tab for me to set the required Group.

Vera UI5, latest “black” milight wifi bridge, milightRGBW LED controller used with RGB LED, v1.2 of the milightRGB plugin.

Thanks
James

Hi James,

If you are using the MiLight RGBW LED controller, you need to use the MiLightRGBW plugin. The controller emulates an RGBW lamp even though it is driving an RGB strip. This allows you to have four groups.

I’m user the rgb+w, MiLightRGBW version 1.0

Here is the image, group 1 has 1 device and group 2 has 3

@destinet, do you have the ip attribute set correctly on the second device? It is showing a CommFailure which should not be there.

it’s same ip for both device, i will verify tonight if the hub has changed but i dont think so.

it’s same ip for both device, i will verify tonight if the hub has changed but i dont think so.[/quote]

Also check that the Group field contains only the single digit and no extraneous characters. An error in converting this field to a number could result in the device controlling all groups instead of just one.

Really weird, came home all the light were red so no link. I did the hole linking process and now it’s seems to work fine. i will keep you posted

Hey guys!

I have had one room setup as a test for a while and getting ready to do the rest of the rooms. Got a question

I have one room that’s gonna use 3 strips of 5m LEDs. I’m gonna use a 15amp power supply.

How many feet can I run off a single controller before I need to split it up?

Can I just run 15amps into the controller then split the output RGBW 3 ways to go to 3 strips?

I thought I read that it can take 6amps per channel (that means color right) and if my strips are only 5 amp total with 4 colors does that figure out to 1.2amp per channel per strip? Or is the White LEDS alot more draw vs. the color LEDS?

The Mi-Light RGBW LED strip controller is rated at 6A per channel. Current requirement for LED strips depends on the type of LEDs and the number per metre. Even with 60 x 5050 LEDs per metre, a 5 metre length would typically need less than 5A total (all colours). One controller should be able to run three of these 5 metre strips.

Note that each strip need to be connect to the controller. Do not try to run one strip from the end of another. This would exceed the current capacity of the first strip and it would probably melt.

[quote=“RexBeckett, post:49, topic:185698”]The Mi-Light RGBW LED strip controller is rated at 6A per channel. Current requirement for LED strips depends on the type of LEDs and the number per metre. Even with 60 x 5050 LEDs per metre, a 5 metre length would typically need less than 5A total (all colours). One controller should be able to run three of these 5 metre strips.

Note that each strip need to be connect to the controller. Do not try to run one strip from the end of another. This would exceed the current capacity of the first strip and it would probably melt.[/quote]

Thanks for that info. I am aware of the voltage drop and was planning on wiring all 3 directly to the controller one going in each direction and the third with a long 5 meter wire set going down to the end of one of the strips to start the third/final strip.

Does anyone know which plugin is needed to control a milight strip controller.
This one is a single zone controller it does RGB + W

[quote=“pkcosgrove, post:51, topic:185698”]Does anyone know which plugin is needed to control a milight strip controller.
This one is a single zone controller it does RGB + W[/quote]

If it is a single zone LED strip controller, try using MiLightRGB. Multizone LED strip controllers usually work with MiLightRGBW.

[quote=“pkcosgrove, post:51, topic:185698”]Does anyone know which plugin is needed to control a milight strip controller.
This one is a single zone controller it does RGB + W[/quote]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4X-2-4G-Wireless-MiLight-LED-RGBW-Strip-light-Controller-WiFi-iOS-Android-APP-/261643007233?pt=US_Lighting_Parts_and_Accessories&hash=item3ceb237501

I have this and use the RGBW. I didn’t think or know that you can use the controller without the wifi modal.

I have 8 of the 9W RGBW Bulbs and just hooked up one RGBW strip. From the app, and the plugin, the strip and the bulbs do not sync color in disco mode. All of the colors are correct when choosing a static color but the strip is cycling a bit faster than the bulbs and grows more out of sync as time passes? Is there anything I can do? Is this a resistance problem with the strip?

I expect this is due to slight differences between the hardware and/or firmware of the lamps and LED Strip controller. Unless you can find a speed setting for each type that matches, I doubt that there is anything you can do to synchronize them.

I’ve tried all the modes. The strip controller does all of the modes faster by quite a lot. For example, the flashing modes on the strip are probably twice as fast. I like the speed better for the flashes but I tend to use mode 1 cycle and fade on the slowest setting. By the time it changes to the second or third color they’re already way out of sync.

That begs the question if there are firmwares available?

Why not swap one controller to the other to find out if its a controller issue or a resistance/light issue?

I have 4 strip controllers. I did try another. Same exact thing.

I have 4 strip controllers. I did try another. Same exact thing.[/quote]

So maybe more test needed but sounds like it’s not a controller or firmware issue.