License for PLEG and PLTS Plugins (Starting April 1, 2014)

One thing though.

What happens when people start moving to Vera 4? I assume there will be new hardware at some point.

I presume we can pay more if we think its worth it? This modest amount is cheap.

Have bought my licenses, more than happy to support your endeavours. Without PLEG and Veralerts we would be struggling to make Vera a worthwhile device.

David

@RexBeckett thanks for the link. I think my problem now is how to translate what I want into logic

Richard,

From a tax perspective, I’m a bit confused about the mandatory tax being added. If you’re an international (i.e. non-US) or from a state that doesn’t tax sales (DE, NH, OR, AL, MT), a sales tax doesn’t apply…

Not that the amount is big, but the challenge may come when you’ve got places like Europe where they may impose their own taxes and tariffs on top of whatever the amount is).

[quote=“sjolshagen, post:25, topic:179805”]Richard,

From a tax perspective, I’m a bit confused about the mandatory tax being added. If you’re an international (i.e. non-US) or from a state that doesn’t tax sales (DE, NH, OR, AL, MT), a sales tax doesn’t apply…

Not that the amount is big, but the challenge may come when you’ve got places like Europe where they may impose their own taxes and tariffs on top of whatever the amount is).[/quote]
@sjolshagen,

In the US one only has to collect sales tax on sales made within a state where the person (in the US a corporation is a person) is domiciled or otherwise has nexus (e.g. business domiciled in Florida but has employees in Georgia). Also, if a person travels to another state and makes a sale, it would be subject to the local sales tax where the sale was made.

This is why Amazon.com doesn’t charge sales tax in some states (and of course also has an advantage in some states over local retailers).

Richard,
I followed the ,ink in my PLEG device and bought a license.
I then entered the Registration ID into the PLEG devices in vera and clicked verify.

This said it was successful. But when I view a status report it tells me “You are not licensed!”

EDIT Sorry fixed now. Just took a bit of time for it to update

[quote=“Bulldoglowell, post:26, topic:179805”][quote=“sjolshagen, post:25, topic:179805”]Richard,

Not that the amount is big, but the challenge may come when you’ve got places like Europe where they may impose their own taxes and tariffs on top of whatever the amount is).[/quote]
@sjolshagen,

In the US one only has to collect sales tax on sales made within a state where the person (in the US a corporation is a person) is domiciled or otherwise has nexus (e.g. business domiciled in Florida but has employees in Georgia). Also, if a person travels to another state and makes a sale, it would be subject to the local sales tax where the sale was made.

This is why Amazon.com doesn’t charge sales tax in some states (and of course also has an advantage in some states over local retailers).[/quote]

However, it is up to the BUYER to send that sales tax to the state at the end of the year for all items bought and no sales tax was made (for instance, I bought a printer off Amazon, but I’m in FL, so Amazon did not charge me. At the end of the Year, I am responsible for paying it)

Interesting note: Amazon is trying to get legislature passed that will make all online businesses collect tax for all states and send it in. This is mainly because

1. People never do it on their own (this is why the States want it), and
  2. As Amazon grows and puts distribution centers in more and more states, they are having to pay tax, which puts them at a disadvantage to those online stores that aren’t as big. So Amazon feels that if everyone is charging tax, it will once again make them more appealing.

Sorry to get off topic. I will be buying the licenses as soon as my plugin’s update (they never seem to auto update)

I don’t mind paying for the license for pleg. But I’m curious why you would limit the number of conditions I can use after I pay to license this plugin. If I have more than four why would that matter to you? Having more than 4 doesn’t take any bandwidth on you part does it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richard is not limiting the conditions when you purchase a license. He is limiting the amount of PLEG devices you can create. Conditions and actions are unlimited when a license is purchased.

• Garrett

It’s no the number of conditions which is limited. It’s the number of PL devices which you can create per license. Four Program Logic devices per license. Unlimited conditions per device. So in theory you could have one license, one PL device and hundreds of conditions.

So I will ask It this way. Why limit the number of devices. I paid for the plugin. Whether it’s 4 or 6 devices how does it effect the developer. I’m only installing it on one vera device.
If I buy a license for a computer program and I can only install it on that computer. But then when I launch that program it only allows me to create 50 word documents. Then after 50 word documents I have to pay again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can do a lot more with pure LUA and Scenes for FREE.

But I love the free market economy in the USA. And this is another small experiment in that great concept.
This is called value based licensing. If you use it a lot … it has more value.

There is no way I will ever recover the dollar value for the time I invested in this product. It’s not a goal!
So what does the developer get out this ?
Mostly satisfaction in providing something that others place a value in. So when you buy a license … it’s like buying me a beer and saying … nice job!

And if it’s no body places a value in it … and I get thirsty … I will find something else that might interest you.

Richard,

During the recent (not latest) updates there was a little noise on issues that came about as a result of the updates. So, I disabled auto-update on PLEG and I am presently holding on Version 5.93. I have been on the sidelines whilst you manage the latest update, as I am eager to add the new functions in your latest version.

Because I am nuts about being able to get back to where I was, I want to backup my Veras (I have a few) so that I know I will be able to return to a ‘operating’ backup if down the road I have a problem with say the upgrade to UI6 or with an update with PLEG (or another plugin for that matter). This is sort of critical for me because I manage some of this while I am away from our summer/winter home. A functioning Vera is super important to me, being at the bleeding edge on software runs a distant second.

I hope that you could clarify for me (or us) wether:

a) I need to get a license key for Version 5.93 and
b) If I choose to remain on it while I watch the upgrade chatter get resolved, will I have to register 5.93 within the timeline you outlined.

Like I said, I want to assure myself that I can get back to a happy place if everything goes pear-shaped.

The reason I am asking is because I cannot seem to locate exactly where in version 5.93 I would purchase a license.

And finally, are we to assume your license is good for 4 PLEG devices regardless of how many units there are on my account?

Thanks in advance for your assistance and like the others, I appreciate what your tools bring to Vera.

P.S. I hope a percentage go to Rex for his amazing support of your brilliant work ;D

[quote=“dbmet, post:32, topic:179805”]So I will ask It this way. Why limit the number of devices. I paid for the plugin. Whether it’s 4 or 6 devices how does it effect the developer. I’m only installing it on one vera device.
If I buy a license for a computer program and I can only install it on that computer. But then when I launch that program it only allows me to create 50 word documents. Then after 50 word documents I have to pay again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

I’ve been recently looking into Windows Server Licensing for my company. You want to feel like their bending you over and taking advantage, then go look that up. Server licensing, THEN user licensing… THEN if you want remote acccess, RDS CALs are needed… Want to use MORE Ram (Yes, if you have 128GB in yoru server and have standard, you can only use 64GB of it)? Better upgrade to Datacenter edition then (Standard is limited to 64GB for 2012). Want to access more CPUs? Datacenter again (from ~$900 to over $6k PER MACHINE!).

To be fair though, going from Standard to Datacenter does allow you to create unlimited VMs on that one machine using that license for all the OSes for the VMs. Standard you can only do 2. Still, though, If I am building a SQL Server (which I am), and I want more ram, my OS cost just went from $900 to $6k just to add more than 64GB of ram.

I think that $5.5 for 4 devices is fair in this case. I understand where you are coming from, but it’s a small price to pay to support someone who has done a TON for this community.

@Bulldoglowell
I totally understand managing your configuration …
I will document the procedure later this month for how to obtain and install a license.

Actually the software to request a license has been in all versions since last November.
It’s just disabled in your version.

Understood, and thanks.

I’m just standing by to let you work out the release issues on the latest version.

I’m liking the idea of putting Lua into PLEG and that is definitely worth getting the upgrade.

I hope you earn lots of ‘beers’ :wink:

@ RichardTSchaefer Can I use the same licence with the same Vera 3 and the U16 version?

I’ have send four times a mail to my Hotmail but I didn’t receive anything!

An email has been sent. Click the link embedded in the Email to Verify your Email Address

Did you check your Spam filter ?

The license will work on UI5 or UI6 … but it is tied to the same physical Vera.

Hi Richard

In the spirit of this forum, I wanted to share with you my thoughts on this…

For me your announcement was a big surprise, mainly because this is the first real step I’ve seen that moves this forum away from being a close community of contributors, creating and sharing free apps, to one based on a more commercial model. (Please Note - I fully accept this is an area that’s been in the background with Vera for a while, (you only have to look at the App Store) but this is the first real step towards embracing such a change and a charge)

You mentioned earlier that when you started this, it was a personal project, one which you decided to share. And like many others out there who share they work freely here, I really really appreciate what you do and what you’ve created , and i do accept your statement, about how you went into this particular venture with good intentions (if I try to read between those lines, you’re maybe also trying to say that you never had such a revenue model/stream in mind when you launched it - I hope that’s true.)

Now before I’m jumped on by others for being rude or ungrateful, please understand that I’m not saying that charging for such great work is wrong; (far from it) it’s a very good product and you have every right (and deserve) to seek revenue for the time/effort you’ve done.

What I will say however, is that I would’ve liked your timing to have been better e.g using UI6 or the new hardware upgrade later in the year would’ve been an ideal point to initiate such a change (now that’s just my humble opinion)

Please understand, (inc. all that are reading this) I hold this forum and it’s members in very highest regard, it truly is one of the very best and most supportive/collaborative HA spaces out there (and I’ve been on a few) . So please respect my desire to talk openly and honestly about my thoughts/feelings on what you have done .

It’s not personal, it’s very much more about what your approach represents a) to those of us on the forum and b) also to our future use/cost of Vera