Looking for reliable smart plug for cold temperatures

My HAOZEE wave Plus Mini Smart Plug isn’t cutting the mustard. It will work for a while, then become totally uncommunicative to my Vera Edge located 3 feet from the plug.

The problem may be that it’s located in my garage where temperatures drop to the high teens on occasion. I’m located in Central Oregon where temps do go low, but humidity stays quite low.

I’m trying to determine if there is a more reliable/robust smart plug that can handle the low temp environment. I use the smart plug to control a motor driven thermostat control (American Pacific) on my gas hot water heater.

I would use the GE outdoor smart plug more rugged and made for the outdoors.

1 Like

I was thinking of the GE outdoor plug too - it looks better insulated…

1 Like

GE outdoor plug… Will give this a try. Thanks for responding.

I’ve been using the GE outdoor plug in an outdoor application for about five years and it is still working fine. I don’t have it running any automation so it doesn’t switch regularly in sub freezing but it’s survived into the teens (Fahrenheit) without issue.
Hope it works out for you.

I’ve used a half dozen GE Outdoor Plugs for about five years now. I’ve never had a single problem with any of them. Among many uses I have them in automatons to turn Halloween & Christmas decorations on and off. Low temps here are frequently below zero Fahrenheit and even in sub-zero weather they have no problems.

I’ve been using two Leviton DZPA1 for two years installed in my unheated pole building. The inside temp is the same as the outside temp. January 2019 there were nights at -27 F. For outside applications, I simply enclose the device with connections in a container. No problems whatsoever, even though the device is not rated below 0 F.

Another option is place the device in a heated area and run a wire to an appropriately rated relay, which would control the thermostat control. Or place the device in a container with a low wattage incandescent bulb to generate heat. I’ve used both procedures years ago with X10 devices.

The GE outdoor switch is the way to go, it has worked for me even in -30 degrees Fahrenheit.