Lutron RadioRA2 Gateway plugin

I just have a reserved IP address configured in my router for my Repeater.

I do have the iPad app but am not a big user of it.

I just ran it and can turn my lights on/off from iPad and they show up in Vera and vice versa.

Try to set DebugMode to 1 on the Lutron Gateway device in Vera, do a reload and try to use it just from Vera. Then take a look at your LuaUPNP logs and see if they indicate anything.

I just tried to SSH into my Vera and telnet to the repeater from there but I just got the prompt for login (And never got prompted for the repeater password). But my RA2 plugin works. Must be an issue with a setting on the Vera telnet client that I don’t know about.

Not sure how to Title this post…

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

or

How one #$%^@% comma, cost me 8 hrs plus of my life.

Problem solved. The missing port error is caused by an improperly set up keypad. I have two keypads in my system. In troubleshooting, I reset vera (& not the main repeater). Reloaded the app and only set up only one light. Bingo, it works. Add another light, still working. Add all the devices - error. Add one device at a time, and find out my keypads are creating the issue.

Component variable must be recorded like this 1,2,3,4,5,6, - note the end comma. I had it set up as 1,2,3,4,5,6

This caused the error. One flipping comma, this is why I could never be a programmer…

Anyways, the app works very well. Thanks to all that helped, and thanks to the app author for a great app.

When the author has time, he might change the help file to reflect the importance of the comma, and being very precise in setting up the keypads and device list.

[quote=“cupofjoe68, post:22, topic:177995”]Not sure how to Title this post…

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

or

How one #$%^@% comma, cost me 8 hrs plus of my life.[/quote]

Oh shoot. I thought you’d already done that based on my post on the 26th:

Check your multi-key keypad devices. On the componentnumber field you can remove buttons you are not using. But make sure there is a "," (that is a comma) at the end. like this: 1,2,3,4,5,6,

lol.

Well glad you got it working. Now you can use it with various scenes.

I had one Jasco switch but it seems to lose its connection if the power is ever cut. My RA2 has been rock solid.

Arggggggggggggggggggggggggggg!!!

You totally gave the solution days ago!!! I just didn’t read that part of the post carefully.

LOL

Oh well, thanks for the help and I will try to contribute as much as I can to vera forums going forward.

Hi all,

I fixed the issues with the componentNumber comma at the end, there is no longer needed. I updated the plugin on apps.mios.com(version 1.3). Can someone confirm the fix?

@ingridorchris : For now, only a 6 button keypad is implemented. I intend to change this, but for now I don’t have the time. I can help you modify the plugin for your needs until then, just send me an pm or mail.

Best regards,

• Andrei -

[quote=“ingridorchris, post:18, topic:177995”]Keypad devices don’t work correctly. All of the Vera on screen devices show exactly 6 buttons on each keypad, even though all my Lutron keypads have either 8 or 19 buttons. Also, I don’t see any place to name the buttons. An example of the componentNumber field for one of my Vera keypad devices is:

Also, only one of my keypad devices has an Advanced field called “KeypadCommand”. Why would one be different from the others?

Great app otherwise. Much thanks.

Chris[/quote]

I can still use the button press numbers to trigger events in PLEG or LUA code even though those buttons aren’t in the GUI. For example buttons 18 and 19 are down/up on my 6 button keypad. I can use those to control the volume on my Sonos (though Lutron also dims the lights when I turn the volume down… not much I can do about that at this point).

Does the plug-in support more than one main repeater? I’ve more than 100 devices, thus I’ve got two main repeaters. Both connected to the same network, each with their own IP address (set statically and with a DHCP reservation). The large majority of lighting loads are on the 1st repeater. The 2nd repeater has mainly shades and ancillary devices (landscape lighting, attic, etc).

Hi wkearney99,

Plugin support only one main repeater. But you can create another Lutron device and configure it for your second repeater. You will have two Lutron devices on your Vera, each one with its own configuration. I didn’t tested this, but in should work. Here is how you should proceed:

1. Download the plugin and configure it for your first repeater;
  2. Go to Apps/My apps/Lutron plugin;
  3. In "Plugin control " tab you will find the button “Create another”;
  4. Click on it and a new Lutron device should be created;
  5. Configure this second device for your second repeater;

Hope this will help.

Regards,

• Andrei -

What issues might develop by having two plugins?

I’ve worked with a variety of automation solutions in the past and some are worse than others when dealing with a) multiple devices of the same kind and/or b) a lot of devices off a plug-in.

I’m basically asking at what point will a Vera bog down?

Hi,

Having two Lutron devices shouldn’t be a problem and your Vera should be working normally. Regarding the maximum number for z-wave devices, Vera light can handle up to 232 z-wave devices. If we are talking about non z-wave devices(plugin generated) + scenes, a Vera light can handle 500+.

Regards,

• Andrei -

Currently this plugin does not work on the RC of UI7.

Finally getting around to setting this up and have a couple of questions.

I have a ceiling fan controlled by a lutron fan switch (RRD-2ANF)–should I use the dimmer setting to add the device? Also, if you don’t have the software, is there any easy way to retrieve the device list? Or are the devices numbered in order of adding them to the system?

Great questions.

If you don’t have the RA2 software then connect to your Lutron repeater via a web browser. Username/password default is “lutron”.

You can get the Integration IDs from each component in the XML file.

Do that and make sure you get all your lights working first.

I don’t have a fan so am not able to test it but I can assume your fan works like your dimmers.

One way to test:

from a command prompt, telnet to your repeater (username lutron, password integration) and just leave the telnet window connected.

Then turn a dimmer on full, turn it off, dim to various levels and look at the results on the telnet window.

Then do the same for the fan controller. if they look similar then they work the same.

The only speculation I have is does your fan controller allow for a true 0-100 range like dimmers, or does it go in 20/40/60/80 increments or some other fixed number?

Feel free to post the output of the telnet window (and tell us which device ID is the fan). I’d be curious to see how it reports.

Assuming it works the same way it should not be hard to add the fan to the plugin so Vera really recognizes it as a fan type.

Thanks so much–very helpful! I had this feeling of dread that after spending way too much on hardware, I was going to have to shell out another big chunk on an installer just to get the configurations.

At this point, I’ve only set up the main and aux repeaters and added one fan switch. Thought it would be easier to troubleshoot things that way. I would guess the fan step is incremental and not continuous, as there are basically four step functions on the switch, so the dimmer may not work.

Unfortunately I think I may have something else going on with my basic lutron setup, as when I go to the website and get database info as xml, I get a blank page. The device IP seems to find my repeater, so that’s at least positive… The troubleshooting fun begins!

Strange on no XML. Try a different browser. Or maybe it was never set up to begin with. Can you control the fan from the Lutron iOS app? That will confirm your repeater was configured to begin with.

Yeah, I’m discovering that’s the issue. I was hoping to do it myself, by manually adding the devices to the repeaters, but it sounds like I’ll have to have someone come out to program it.

Bummer. If you take the Lutron online classes and pass the (easy) test you you can get access to the software.

Oh, that could actually be fun! Is it automatic (e.g. you walk through the classes online, pass the test, and then automatically are able to d/l the software)? I think I’ll do that just to learn a bit more about how the system works anyway–thanks for the tip.

Here:
http://resi.lutron.com/Portals/4/Training/3682540b%20Blast%20sellsheet.pdf

Do the Online option. It is a bit of a time investment. When you get the system programmed I am interested in seeing the telnet output when you engage your fan controller to see if it is like a dimmer or another function.

The on/off switches use 0/100. Dimmers and Shades use the range of 0-100.

I figured I’d post this in case it helps somebody in the future. Or maybe this should go in the wiki.

Lutron Radio RA2 has two types of keypads.

One is a keypad that draws power but all of the buttons just send an RF signal to control a device attached to a separate RA2 switch/dimmer and power source (like battery powered shades).

The other type of keypad is the Hybrid keypad. It draws power but also controls load to a single device. This device is controlled by the top most button on the keypad and that button serves as a dimmer.

The item worth nothing – the keypad will have two integration IDs in the Lutron software and this two IDs when configured with the plugin. The ID for one will be a dimmer type and allows you to address the load controlled by the top button on the keypad. The integration ID for the keypad itself will allow you to capture events from various keypad button presses (I use a button on the Lutron keypad with PLEG to turn my Sonos on/off).

See the attached screenshots to see the differences in the Lutron software between the hybrid keypad and the RF-only keypad. The circled part is the part on the hybrid that has its own integration ID.