Lutron RadioRA2 Gateway plugin

Plugin is now available on apps.mios.com

You can find installation instructions here:
http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_lutron_radiora2_gateway

Post here any bugs you find or any feature requests, or send them to my e-mail address:
andrei@mios.com

Also, if you have any questions, post them here.

Are there any hardware requirements for using this plugin (Other than RadioRA2 devices)? I saw someone mention a USB to Serial device, didn’t see any mention of it in the install guide though.

For this plugin there is no need for a USB to Serial device, Vera communicates with LutronRA2 devices via telnet. As mentioned in the plugin description, all you need is to have both devices in the same network. Configure the plugin and everything should work properly.

I followed the instructions (which are quite simple btw) and all the devices got created as supposed, but I’m still unable to communicate with Main Repeater or any other devices. I get a “Missing Port” message in a red bar, at the bottom of the Gateway, as soon as I try to operate any device. Any help would be welcome.

Hi Phil,

After you installed the plugin, you must configure it. Here you will find all you need to do so : Lutron RadioRA2 Gateway.

I get a "Missing Port" message in a red bar, at the bottom of the Gateway, as soon as I try to operate any device

I believe you forgot to add the IP address for your Lutron Gateway.

Bests,

• Andrei -

Thanks mcv.andrei,

No, IP address is properly setup, I can ping it with success. I’ve set it all up according to your tutorial, which is very simple and clear. But still not communicating. Telnet user and pass has been verified with programming software. But still no clue as far as what could be wrong. Also Vera firmware is up to date.
Thanks.

Hi all,

A new version for LutronRA2 plugin that support “SHADEGRP” and “AREA” command is now available on apps.mios.com.

Bests,
Andrei

[quote=“PhilM2”]Thanks mcv.andrei,

No, IP address is properly setup, I can ping it with success. I’ve set it all up according to your tutorial, which is very simple and clear. But still not communicating. Telnet user and pass has been verified with programming software. But still no clue as far as what could be wrong. Also Vera firmware is up to date.
Thanks.[/quote]

I have this working and love it.

Are you still having issues? Let me know and I can look at my config.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have this working and love it.

Are you still having issues? Let me know and I can look at my config.

I am having the same problem Ramias, could you help me. Did you create a new telnet login in the lutron software?

Ok.

From your PC, try this:

1. If Windows you may have to go to add/remove features and install the windows telnet client.
  2. Then telnet to your ra2 repeater. Use the Lutron software to get its IP address or your router or some thing.
  3. Default user name is just “lutron” and default password is just " integration"

Once you verify you can connect then go to your Lutron RadioRA2 Gateway device. The Advanced tab.

Enter the IP address, the user name and the password.

Then (and this is important) there is a field called DeviceList.

Mine looks like this. These are the Lutron Integration ID numbers

D:7,8,9,11,12,18,24,26;B:14;S:19,22,27,30,32;K:10,25

The D is for Dimmer, the B is for Blinds, S is for Switch and K is for the fancy Lutron Multi-Button Keypads.

To get the Integration ID numbers you can go to Settings/Integration in the lutron Software. You’ll have to know the device type yourself though.

Then reload a few times.

Then see if you have any error messages.

Check your multi-key keypad devices. On the componentnumber field you can remove buttons you are not using. But make sure there is a “,” (that is a comma) at the end. like this: 1,2,3,4,5,6,

Hey Ramias,

Thanks for the reply!! Unfortunately none of this is working.

The problem is that when I set up the app and the devices. I click on the device tab and adjust dimmer 2 for example, I get the missing port and a red light on the gateway device.

The ip is correct.
I can control the Radiora2 via my ipad app.

The ipad app uses the telnet login I created in the Lutron software. I changed it to the default lutron & integration, that work as well. I have since changed it back the original login.

According to the Ipad app, the telnet port is 23. The http port is 80. The Ipad app works flawlessly.

I tried change the ip in advance tab to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 23 to reflect the telnet port. This stopped the port missing warning but I still don’t communicate with the Lutron main repeater.

I am at a loss to what else to try, perhaps the app’s author can chime in.

Further info,

My lutron firmware is current 7.5
I am running this on UI5, and 1.5.622

Any further thoughts or suggestions??

On mine I have only the IP address listed and not the port.

Did you populate the DeviceList variable listing all your Lutron device types and integration ID numbers?

I am also running the 7.5 firmware and it works fine.

Yes, I have done the device list with integration numbers. This populated the device list with my dimmers etc. When I adjust an individual dimmer, is when I get the port error.

Hmm.

If you change the light in the real light switch does anything happen in Vera? And do you have any keypad devices and if so did you populate their component lists with a trailing comma?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ramias,

Thanks for all your help. I have figured out the problem. I have a pretty heavy network in my home and I had to many switches between the vera unit and my main repeater.

I plugged the vera in my router directly and changed my switch setup. I had 3 cascading prosafe switches and the vera and main repeater were on the last one. So I think the commands had to go down the chain and then back up and this caused the issue.

Thanks again for your input and hopefully if other people encounter this, the can learn from my drawn out discovery.

Cheers

I give up…

Either I have a defective Vera unit or the vera system is too flakey.

I have done many many different combinations of reset, new passwords, settings in Lutron and Vera.

Bottom Line -

I can control the lights via Lutron Ipad App - no problem, either the default password or created passwords in Lutron Software
I can control the lights via Pro Control Remote - no problem, various passwords and telnet into the system.

Regardless if the above are online or not, the Vera system will not login.

One time it did login, I lost it after a ‘reload’ of the software to the vera unit.

Unfortunately this is looking like a waste of $200 and 10+ hours of my time…

Do other people seriously have this much problem, is the firmware very beta and undeveloped??

First off this is considered a third party plugin and not a standard feature of vera. It is most likely a configuration issue or a bug in the plugin. This is not the fault of vera.

• Garrett

Keypad devices don’t work correctly. All of the Vera on screen devices show exactly 6 buttons on each keypad, even though all my Lutron keypads have either 8 or 19 buttons. Also, I don’t see any place to name the buttons. An example of the componentNumber field for one of my Vera keypad devices is:

Also, only one of my keypad devices has an Advanced field called “KeypadCommand”. Why would one be different from the others?

Great app otherwise. Much thanks.

Chris

Plugin works great for me.

I’m wondering if something is causing the connection between Vera and the Lutron repeater to drop.

Either bad network conditions, or a limit with Lutron that kicks a connection off if another app (or multiple apps) connect in.

The Vera plugin connects and basically just monitors the Lutron for changes that are echoed to the console as ~OUTPUT,3,1,17 and various strings like that.

It then sends commands as well.

If you reboot the Lutron repeater (like through a config upload or firmware update) you do need to reload Vera.

First of all, like to apologize for the frustration in the previous post. I am custom installer so I can usually figure out most devices, so far this one has my number.

To answer some of the suggestions:

I'm wondering if something is causing the connection between Vera and the Lutron repeater to drop.

Either bad network conditions, or a limit with Lutron that kicks a connection off if another app (or multiple apps) connect in.

I thought of this to, I factory reset my Vera, I actually bypassed switches that I had on the network. I change out my router (had been planning to do this anyways). Wired both units into router directly, so far nothing has work. The repeater is suppose to handle up to 5 devices, so I assuming that this is not the issue.

For those that have lutron software (I have it). Did you turn off the DHCP settings with find the main repeater command. It recommends them to be off and setup a fixed ip within the repeater itself. I have tried it both ways. I think this is the problem, I going to factory reset my repeater and see if this helps. (WARNING, do not reset your repeater if you don’t have access to the software or your installer)

Is anyone else using the ipad app? The ipad app can change settings in the repeater, I might not reload this app after the reset.

I will let you know how this works either way.

Cheers