Lutron RadioRA2 Gateway plugin

I had originally written this off as “well, it doesn’t work” when I tried some time ago. But your question prompted me to dig into this.

Frankly this should probably be in the wiki now that it is known. Maybe Andrei can paste this in:

RA2 Motion Detectors have a unique Integration ID like any other RA2 device. But these Motion Detectors are in a Room "Area" as defined in the RA2 software.

Areas also have their own integration IDs.

The Plugin uses the ?Area command to query motion detector status. So the Integration ID you configure in the RA2 Repeater Plugin parent Object for A:? is the integration ID for the room and not the actual motion detector device itself.

You can find the room integration ID in the RA2 software or in the telnet window when you trip the motion detector. On the 7.8 firmware it is listed as “~Group,IntID,3,3” but it is manually queried with “?Area,IntID,8.” The plugin does this on a time-configured interval which by default is defined in the L_LutronTelnet.lua file as pollPeriodOccupancy=5.

I had originally written this off as “well, it doesn’t work” when I tried some time ago. But your question prompted me to dig into this.

Frankly this should probably be in the wiki now that it is known. Maybe Andrei can paste this in:

RA2 Motion Detectors have a unique Integration ID like any other RA2 device. But these Motion Detectors are in a Room "Area" as defined in the RA2 software.

Areas also have their own integration IDs.

The Plugin uses the ?Area command to query motion detector status. So the Integration ID you configure in the RA2 Repeater Plugin parent Object for A:? is the integration ID for the room and not the actual motion detector device itself.

You can find the room integration ID in the RA2 software or in the telnet window when you trip the motion detector. On the 7.8 firmware it is listed as “~Group,IntID,3,3” but it is manually queried with “?Area,IntID,8.” The plugin does this on a time-configured interval which by default is defined in the L_LutronTelnet.lua file as pollPeriodOccupancy=5.

[/quote]

Ah, thanks so much for this–never would have figured it out myself and I think explains some odd behavior I’ve seen with my lutron sensors! Will try it today. Luup for the phantom buttons is working out really well–so nice to be able to call scenes from our app and shut the house down!

Ramias, just wanted to see if you’ve gotten your motion sensors working reliably in vera.

Mine are working in lutron to trigger lights on/off, but the vera sensor behavior is odd. Showing as constantly tripped, so I set an alert to notify me when it’s not tripped, and I’m getting notifications occasionally (I think they are firing on reboot), but they seem to have nothing to do with motion. Not seeing any state change when it sees movement. It’s odd.

[quote=“tb001”]Ramias, just wanted to see if you’ve gotten your motion sensors working reliably in vera.

Mine are working in lutron to trigger lights on/off, but the vera sensor behavior is odd. Showing as constantly tripped, so I set an alert to notify me when it’s not tripped, and I’m getting notifications occasionally (I think they are firing on reboot), but they seem to have nothing to do with motion. Not seeing any state change when it sees movement. It’s odd.[/quote]

That is interesting.

I will check tomorrow.

Just a guess: the Lutron motion detector is destined to trigger lights based on light/motion that are then turned on for a set amount of time.

So it may report motion occurring. But it may not report when motion stops. I honestly don’t know how other motion detectors work. But it should be simple to write a scene triggered on motion that after a few seconds sets it back to no motion. This scene may fire a lot if there is frequent motion (or not… If the Lutron motion sensor doesn’t report new motion with a set time period).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

[quote=“Ramias, post:64, topic:177995”][quote=“tb001”]Ramias, just wanted to see if you’ve gotten your motion sensors working reliably in vera.

Mine are working in lutron to trigger lights on/off, but the vera sensor behavior is odd. Showing as constantly tripped, so I set an alert to notify me when it’s not tripped, and I’m getting notifications occasionally (I think they are firing on reboot), but they seem to have nothing to do with motion. Not seeing any state change when it sees movement. It’s odd.[/quote]

That is interesting.

I will check tomorrow.

Just a guess: the Lutron motion detector is destined to trigger lights based on light/motion that are then turned on for a set amount of time.

So it may report motion occurring. But it may not report when motion stops. I honestly don’t know how other motion detectors work. But it should be simple to write a scene triggered on motion that after a few seconds sets it back to no motion. This scene may fire a lot if there is frequent motion (or not… If the Lutron motion sensor doesn’t report new motion with a set time period).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD[/quote]

Interesting–that may make sense given what I’m seeing, though I don’t think I’m seeing a state change when the lights are triggered from the motion, but will check. I know when in test mode the sensor itself sees motion/no motion, but don’t know how much it reports back.

Ok so here are my observations with the motion detector:

When it is tripped the telnet console logs:

~Group,IntID,3,255

and after a time interval (probably the time interval I have set with the swtich on the motion detector) it logs ~GROUP,IntID,3,4

But the plugin issues a periodic query of ?Area,IntID,8

and gets a response of ~Area,IntID,8,1

The 1 at the end means unknown per:

GNET> ?help,?area,8
~HELP,
?AREA,<state=8> occupancy state
RESPONSE: ~AREA,,<state=8>,
FORMAT: occupancy state = 1, 2, 3, or 4 (1=unknown,2=inactive,3=occupied,4=unoccupied)

So bottom line: I am still doubtful these can be used for any meaningful motion detection purpose other than with the RA2 system UNLESS you assume that “unknown” means “tripped” and modify line 162 of L_LutronRA2Telnet1.lua to:

[code]if parameters[3] == “3” or parameters[3] == “1” then

[/code]

Interesting. I think you’re exactly right about the time interval on the sensor. If I enable the sensor, set the sensor itself to 5 min, and remove any programming associated with it, it will show as not tripped. Then when it senses movement, it will trip and stays tripped for 5 minutes and then resets after 5 min. So not 100% ideal, but probably OK for what I need.

Hey all. Wondering if anyone else has had experience with the Caseta Smart Bridge and getting that to work with the RadioRA2 plugin. I found this post the other day but it’s lacking in details: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,26562.0.html

So, just in case anyone was curious I did get this working with the Caseta Smart Bridge Pro (not sure about the Smart Bridge). So, that’s a pretty inexpensive solution for anyone looking to add some basic Lutron devices.

Ramis: Question for you. Is there anyway to set the keypads to “unclick” after the user has pressed the button? So, that is if I press the on button on one of my keypads and then let go of it, it will show toggled on as the state in Vera. Anyway for that to toggle back off once I release the button?

So keypads are tricky things.

First, there are two types of keypads:

1. Keypads that are simply just remotes that control other devices.
  2. Keypads that have one button that control load and other buttons that serve as remotes.
    —Keypads that control local load have two integration IDs and will have two devices in Vera.

You can then have a button that exists on the keypad but does nothing in the Lutron system. Vera can detect when this button is pressed (but not on/off; just pressed) and use it as a trigger.

The keypads have LEDs that are lit when a Lutron scene or Lutron device associated with that button is active. Buttons unassigned in Lutron (but used by Vera) do not stay lit when the button is pressed, since that button is not associated with a Lutron scene or a Lutron device.

In terms of keeping the Keypad device in Vera in sync with the wall keypad… this doesn’t work for me either. It would probably have to be written to show dark blue/light blue based on the status of the wall keypad LEDs. But this hasn’t been a big deal for me.

Since the keypad (except for the one button on a keypad that controls load and any unassigned buttons that can be used as “button pressed” triggers) don’t do anything else (because all they do is send signals to other Lutron devices, that also exist in Vera where the correct status is displayed) it’s never been a big deal to me. An annoyance, yes, but not a big deal.

Can you set up a scene for this? I have several virtual switches that I turn off immediately after they’re switched on. Seems like it would work the same way?

For the keypad button that I use as a trigger to play my Sonos, I have LUUP code that resets the button status in Vera.

–reset button press to blank
luup.variable_set(“urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:serviceId:LutronRA2Telnet1”,“KeypadCommand”,“”,DEV_Number)

That is exactly what I needed. Thank you!

I downloaded and installed successfully the plugin on my new Vera Edge. Thank you for the plugin.

I have a question. How do I activate the Phantom Buttons and TimeClock Modes?

Thanks for your help.

I have a mix of pico remotes some 5 button (On - 2, Off - 3, Fav - 4, Raise - 5, Lower - 6) some 4 button (On - 8, Off - 9, Raise - 10, Lower - 11) it seems my 5 button remotes work and I can trigger scenes with them by using button 2 - 6 in Vera.

The problem I’m running in to is I can’t map the 4 button remotes to anything because they report back as 8 - 11. Is it possible to remap the buttons or add more software buttons to the plugin?

I tried setting the variable componentNumber to 8,9,10,11,0,0, but that didn’t help.

Thank you for this plugin, very nice functionality.

One minor issue: for my two dimmers (testing), VeraEdge UI7 shows the OFF/ON button as always ON. If pushed, then lights will go off. Push again, nothing (does not turn light on, button says ON). The dimmer value icon, does go to zero when the OFF/ON is pushed). If I drag the dimmer value icon to zero, the lights go off, but the OFF/ON button always remain ON.

I’m using VeraEdge UI7.

Thank you, Erik

I have the same issue as above with the on/off button always staying on.
Also many many times, things seem fine, then next time I go to turn something on or off, I get “missing port” and nothing works.
Any ideas on this?
Lastly, picos…When I try to add them, only way I can see to add is by adding a keypad “K” code. but then it shows as a 6 button keypad. Anything else I could do, am I missing something?
Thanks
Greg

Ok so any help on the picos? I see where people are adding them, but everytime I add a K:8 code for adding a keypad o get missing port… And everything stops working. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks

Regarding Pico’s, I got one. I have the 5 button version. Very nice look and feel !!! Desks stand is very well done, as well.

I am using the RadioRA2 plugin (Cat5). Yes, you must to add the K: entry, -punch the help link for the app. And, yes, it shows up as a 6 button keypad jn UI7 (I tried to get rid of one button, but no go, and I have not figured out how to re-label the buttons), For the 5 button version my componentNumber value is “4,6,3,5,2,0”.

I read somewhere that for some Lutron keypads, I think it was the 4 button keypad, RA2 responded with component numbers in the teens and that the plug in did not support; as in “not seen by Vera”. It would be nice if the plugin supported the different keyboards better. I poked around in the source a bit to see how complicated it would be to add; I do not have available time to tackle it, sigh.

I have a test setup with VeraEdge UI7, with a MiniMote, some Smart Switch Energy (solid) switches, some Smart Switch 6 (problematic) switches and 8 Schlage locks. A Lutron RA2 system with dimmers and pico controller. It is truly bi-directional, yes!!! VeraEdge scenes can be triggered with Lutron remote and you can call Lutron devices from VeraEdge. In my setup, 99% of Lutron Pico remote events are seen/acted on by Vera. Vera to Lutron is 100%. I’m investigating, but very encouraged.

I have not encountered the “missing port” message and it is solid for me, except as noted above. No crashes.

Just to be sure: the K: code is required, but is not a constant as in K:8.

is Lutron system configuration dependent; I used TELNET to get into the Lutron repeater and found the correct number there.