Made a change to a notification >> unable to save configuration

Hello ,

Today I was doing some work on my vera plus with version 1.7.2414, vera alerts version 7.21

When I wanted to change a notification on the vera alerts dashboard, and wanted to exit , I got a “unable to save configuration”( or something similar) .

I was able to do a factory reset on the vera plus (6x pushing pinhole button in front within 6 seconds) , and load a backup and restore Z-wave.

But I am afraid of making a change again in vera alarts. What can I do not to have to reset the vera plus again?

Thanks,
Cor

Contact support … they have a fix.

OK thanks,

Just enabled support and send them an email.
I was hoping I could fix something myself.

Cor

looks like this is still broken in the latest firmware… amazing.

I have so much invested in Vera but getting tired of spending 10x the time I should on my system due to bugs - instead of enjoying it working.

Richard, is there a way around this? Maybe you could create an offline encoder/decoder parser (in Excel / NotePad++ / something) where we could edit the Vera Alert device variable, in an easy to read/write format then paste it into the Advanced → Variables section?

They fixed my vera plus again. But a lot of devices were gone, all my fibaro relais , thermostats , fibaro universal sensors.

In the mail they send to me (they fixed my vera plus within 5-6 hours, and I am on European time , so thumbs up here!) They said the issue was a issue with a "sensative strip"sensor , this one was faulty. I have now put back a backup and deleted the faulty device.

Since it is weekend I don’t touch the vera alerts or the sensative strip, I don’t want to brick my vera plus in the weekend :-X . Monday I will take a look of I can now work again with vera alerts.

Thanks,
Cor

Seems fishy… I don’t understand why a device could cause an issue with saving the notification config.

I put in a ticket, lets see what they say about mine…

Yep , indeed. That’s why I don’t touch vera alerts in the weekend, I will change something again on monday. :stuck_out_tongue:

Cor

After 30min of filling in a line, having it save, doing another, and another, then to have all that work disappear I just figured out a way to get it to work. Its crappy but it does work…

I used Chrome (don’t know if it works with other browsers).

I pre-staged all the messages I wanted to enter into Notepad

I then opened Vera Alerts Edit GUI and copied/pasted as fast as I could, not waiting for the Vera to catch up - soon as I was done I CLOSED Chrome, completely.

Then opened Chrome and went back… it did save several. I did this 3 times and was able to enter new and/or edit existing about 5-8 at a time.

I did reboot the Vera twice in the middle of entries just to ensure the changes stuck… they did

then I backed up!

ohhhh , that is interesting.

I use chrome as well… maybe a good idea to use another browser?

I will do the same on monday, , just to make it clear , when you say:"

soon as I was done I CLOSED Chrome, completely.

Do you exit the vera-alerts tab first as well?

Thanks,
Cor

Hi Richard, Aaron and all,

7.20b beta should have resolved many, if not, all the exceptions that were causing settings to not save, because of the new LUA code encoding method.

Among the noted exceptions that were causing such a behavior, I can name Sonos, PLEG, VeraAlerts and existing Lua containing scenes, and startup Lua page.

If you find any other exceptions that you think it might lead to the same issues, please us know.

@ John M.: I am running : 1.7.2414 on my vera plus and the issue is with Vera alerts running version 7.21

Is version 7.2B an upgrade? If yes , how to upgrade?

edit , I just see in the “official announcements” forum this is a new update, I will try this one on monday ( and keep my fingers crossed :-X

Thanks
Cor

@Cor – I’m on 7.20b and still have the problem. My workaround/hack is tedious but at least it worked. I closed the browser completely, not the Vera Alerts editor.

@John M –

There is still a bug, no doubt in my mind. I can reproduce the bug at will… I just did it 3 times in the last few minutes trying to simply make 1 change to an existing field (tested using 3 different fields) in Vera Alerts

Lat night I did try editing one field in VA at a time, then waited until the “Saving MsgOverride!” disappeared from screen. Several times I even forced a LUA reload immediately after (Vera Alerts has a button to do it)
– I spent 30 minutes on this route (tried IE11, Firefox & Chrome), it did not work at all. It would usually have the first item but then any edit after that it would not ? it would immediately throw the error I attached in the screenshot when editing a field. I just tried it again, same result. Heck, I even rebooted and tried immediately after a fresh boot.

Its clear there is a fundamental design flaw (or bug) with the way Vera?s OS works if every small change/update requires a full LUA Engine reload. I needed to make 15 updates (10 new adds, 5 changes to existing) ? it looked to be impossible, changes looked like they saved and then after few minutes they disappear, even doing one at a time.

The ONLY way it works fore me (and I tried multiple different sequences/methods) … make many, fast, changes all at once, then let the “Saving MsgOverride!” go away and immediately exit the browser completely.

Just updated to the beta version :-X :-X

Everything is still working as it was. ;D
meaning , I still get the unable to save configuration....

But using notpad and copy paste it in the vera alerts app works good !
Thanks for the tip!

Cor

I just installed VeraAlerts this week and was playing with it when I also noticed the same saving issue. What I did, with maybe 50% success, is edit 1 message, let it save, close the edit window, let LUA reload, and reedit to see if it took. If not, try it again, let it save, close the window, let LUA reload, and reopen. Not ideal but I do not see myself editing this very often. I know, I should not have to do this for something so simple, but I have learned since getting this Vera 3 in 2012 to just be patient.

This is Vera bug … they have been working on it … they do not have the final solution yet … There 7.20 beta fixes a lot more … but will not fix if a scene (a notification is just a hidden scene) is corrupted.

There is definitely still a problem with Vera saving … I have tried to move 12 devices into a different room and only 1 moved after the reload. I did this 4 times now.

2 Days ago Scenes & Vera Alerts started having problems. Called Customer Support & was informed they know of the issues & to update firmware 7.20b that this has the fix or Most of the fix? I updated the firmware, Scenes & Vera Alerts Notifications are back to normal, Buttttt adding or changing Scenes along with changing Vera Alerts is still impossible. The more things Change the more they don’t I Guess? Maybe next update?

Keep working with support … they need to know they do not have a final solution yet!

Richard, Sounds like a good app if I could get it working.

I’m running 7.21 of the app with 1.7.2608 firmware on a VeraPlus
Nothing I do gets saved. At the end of the reload process I get the “unable to save configuration” message.
I still get my notifications from Vera, but not VeraAlerts.

Reading the posts here, it sounds like it’s a known issue. Is that accurate? Should I just wait until it gets fixed with a firmware update?

Another thing - Is there a “VeraAlerts for Dummies” document? I’m looking to get my cell phone chime when a specific alert gets sent out. I see the template for this, but don’t know where to put it. A step-by-step instruction would be great.

thanks

At the end of the reload process I get the "unable to save configuration" message.
I do not know exactly what you are referring to here ... can you send a screen shot. Make sure you power cycle your Vera after installing the Vera Alerts Plugin (or after upgrading).

With Vera Alerts there are two major tasks to check to get going.

1. Make sure your profile is working.
    Here you work with the Profile tab and the Send Alert tab to make sure you can send a message from Vera to your target device.
  2. After (#1) is working … Add Device notifications
    Here you add device notifications using the notifications tab of devices on your Vera. You need to specify a Vera User for this notification.
    Then in the Vera Alerts Plugin
    In Settings … Associate the Vera Users to the Profile you want that user’s alerts to be sent to (can be more than one).
    In Configure Notifications … specify any message over ride. (This step is mandatory every time you add or modify a notification).