Need help editing JSON file

I’m trying to figure out how to edit a JSON file for my blind controller. This should be a pretty minor edit, but I’m not quite getting it right. The JSON file by default is D_WindowCovering1.json. I’m leaving that file alone, and renamed my working copy to D_WindowCovering2.json.

All I want to do is this. The current “Open” command set looks like this (I believe)

"Control": [
				{
					"ControlGroup": "1",
					"ControlType": "button",
					"top": "1.5",
					"left": "1",
					"Label": {
						"lang_tag": "ui7_cmd_open",
						"text": "Open"
					},
					"Display": {
						"Service": "urn:upnp-org:serviceId:Dimming1",
						"Variable": "LoadLevelStatus",
						"Value": "100",
						"Top": 60,
						"Left": 50,
						"Width": 75,
						"Height": 20
					},
					"Command": {
						"Action": "SetLoadLevelTarget",
						"Parameters": [
							{
								"Name": "newLoadlevelTarget",
								"Value": "100"
							}
						]
					},
					"ControlCode": "wc_open"
				},

I want to change the value to 50, so open will only open it half way:

"Control": [
				{
					"ControlGroup": "1",
					"ControlType": "button",
					"top": "1.5",
					"left": "1",
					"Label": {
						"lang_tag": "ui7_cmd_open",
						"text": "Open"
					},
					"Display": {
						"Variable": "LoadLevelStatus",
						"Value": "50",
						"Top": 60,
						"Left": 50,
						"Width": 75,
						"Height": 20
					},
					"Command": {
						"Action": "SetLoadLevelTarget",
						"Parameters": [
							{
								"Name": "newLoadlevelTarget",
								"Value": "50"
							}
						]
					},
					"ControlCode": "wc_open"
				},

Whenever I try this, it doesn’t effect the blinds behavior. I let luup reload after uploading the file, and I change the json file in the device as well, again waiting for it to reload.

What am I missing?

I suspect that if you look at how the icon for the blind changes you might see that it shows as being half way open. The icon for the blind should reflect the value saved in LoadLevelStatus. However, the blind itself may only respond to the Open command. I don’t know what kind of blind you’re controlling but I do know that many blinds do not have any feedback that indicates or controls their position. Some blinds have a way of setting an intermediate position. But to command them to go to this position usually requires a different command.

These are regular 2" blinds. The controller is a MyIblinds controller, and it does support different positions 0-100%. The blind controller calibrates itself upon connecting to the z-wave network. It acts sort like a dimmer, which you can see in the service part of the JSON file "“Service”: “urn:upnp-org:serviceId:Dimming1”,

Again, the existing JSON file uses the Dimming1 command for open and close, and set’s the value at 0 and 100%. The problem with that is the blinds are at two extremes closed with those values. The JSON file is essentially written for roller blinds, not horizonal blinds. I’ve asked for support from Vera and I get 'Oh, we’ll look at that in the devlopment path", which really means two years plus or never.

Did you do a hard refresh of the browser after reloading Luup?

Yes, although if the code is on the Vera appliance, it shouldn’t matter what my local browser does, right? The commands aren’t stored in my browser, they buttons are just rendered, and then place a call to vera when the button is pushed.

Theoretically, but current versions seem to have trouble maintaining sync between device data on the Vera and device state that is memory in the UI. I see this often. I think it is particularly suspect when you have changed the name of the static JSON file, as attribute changes are not included in delta/changes sent to the UI–only state variables are part of that set.

Okay, I found something very odd/interesting. My edits are actually working, so long as I’m in the device itself, i.e., the screen where Settings/Advanced/Device Options, etc are. it does not work from the Devices tab, when I’m viewing by Room or Type, at least in my computer browser. I’ve cleared the browsing history/cache, restarted, same effect. At least I seem to be headed in the correct direction.

It does work correctly from the Vera app on my iPhone on the Devices tab.

I also tried from incognito mode, same result.

Are the settings for the Device Screen (all the devices together) versus the individual device seperate/different? No matter what I do, I can’t effect the Device Screen on my computer browser, but inside the individual device and on my phone, all works as expected. I may be using the incorrect terms, but I’m saying Device screen because on the menu on the left, under Dashboard is Device, and you can view by Room, Type, or List.

“Device Screen” ← This Doesn’t Work (Chrome/Safari on Mac) | Works on Vera iOS App

“Individual Device Screen” ← This Works