New Plugin: Deus Ex Machina

The new “Vacation Ghost” was sent for approval to apps.mios.com:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,12952.0.html

I’ve just installed DeusExMachina… Looks like a nice app. However,I’m having trouble getting the lamp configuration to “stick”. I check the lamps, hit “back”, hit “save changes” … Now if I go to configure again, all lamps are un-checked again… What gives?

Same here, selection of devices doesn’ seem to get “saved”.
I bet this is another fluke due to UI7 :frowning:

I have the same problem in UI7, the configuration doesnt stick. Bloody shame too since I really needed this.

Same here…

Any update on this?

Have you guys tried refreshing your browser after saving your changes? Vera has an aggressive caching mechanism on the advanced pages. If the developer did not code for this then you will be served the last page that was served by Vera. This page will not contain your current values. Try to make your changes then refresh your browser to see if they stick.

It appears that both the original developers have moved on.

Yeah, I think this plug in should be renamed Deus ex Gonna.

I wish there was some method that plug-ins can be removed from the app store when developers abandon them and they no longer are supported (and no longer work).

Great point. Perhaps MCV should look into methods to do this or at least provide a method for user to let them know when apps become defunct.

[quote=“nortish, post:44, topic:172207”]I have the same problem in UI7, the configuration doesnt stick. Bloody shame too since I really needed this.[/quote]Same feeling here. I made somthing in LUA, which allows some randomness:[code]math.randomseed( tonumber(tostring(os.time()):reverse():sub(1,6)) )

function schakel(apparaat, toestand, schakelzekerheid)
randomgetal = math.random(0, 99 )
if ( schakelzekerheid > randomgetal and luup.is_night() ) then
luup.call_action(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1”, “SetTarget”, {newTargetValue = toestand}, apparaat)
end
end

function wacht(tijd, variatie)
maximumtijd = tijd + variatie
tijdms = math.random(tijd, maximumtijd) * 1000
luup.sleep(tijdms)
end

aan = “1”
uit = “0”
woonkamerlamp = 49

wacht(0, 900)
schakel(woonkamerlamp, aan, 50)[/code]It allows me to vary actions in two ways: waiting (wacht-command) is in this example randomly distributed between 0 and 900 seconds (15 minutes), and the switching of my livingroom light to on has a change of 50%. This isn’t as random as “Vacation Ghost” used to be, but it does allow you to make a scene and run it with some random effects.

Jaap

Hey, this app is still working for me. Worked ok on UI5. Now on UI7 and still working, although it’s not as straightforward to add devices but can still be done. Don’t kill it!!

I believe that I have found and fixed the bugs for this plugin in UI7. The bugs that I know of (and fixed) are:

[ol][li]On UI7, the Configure interface doesn’t save changes (threads here have noted that adding variables manually gets the job done);[/li]
[li]On all platforms, setting a “LightsOutTime” before midnight doesn’t work; only times after midnight work properly.[/li][/ol]

I am not the developer of this plugin, and it seems that the developer has gone AWOL, which is to say, I haven’t tried to contact him, but the problems people have been having are long-standing, and requests for fixes seem to have gone unnoticed. As such, I cannot update the plugin in MCV’s catalog. But, I can post the updated files somewhere where they can be downloaded, and then it’s just a simple matter of pushing those files up to your Vera through the Developer interface.

Testing is going on right now. Stay tuned for the updated files, if you’re interested. And yes, I will be making a better effort to contact the developer and see if there’s interest in incorporating my fixes to the official repository.

[quote=“rigpapa, post:51, topic:172207”]I believe that I have found and fixed the bugs for this plugin in UI7. The bugs that I know of (and fixed) are:

[ol][li]On UI7, the Configure interface doesn’t save changes (threads here have noted that adding variables manually gets the job done);[/li]
[li]On all platforms, setting a “LightsOutTime” before midnight doesn’t work; only times after midnight work properly.[/li][/ol]

I am not the developer of this plugin, and it seems that the developer has gone AWOL, which is to say, I haven’t tried to contact him, but the problems people have been having are long-standing, and requests for fixes seem to have gone unnoticed. As such, I cannot update the plugin in MCV’s catalog. But, I can post the updated files somewhere where they can be downloaded, and then it’s just a simple matter of pushing those files up to your Vera through the Developer interface.

Testing is going on right now. Stay tuned for the updated files, if you’re interested. And yes, I will be making a better effort to contact the developer and see if there’s interest in incorporating my fixes to the official repository.[/quote]

just so you know… if you contact andrei he will most likely give you control over a dead plugin…

however… i see no reason why you cant release your own … Called version ui7

Every plugin on here is a copy of a copy of a copy

There are LEGAL issues if Andrei provides the code or if you COPY the code and share it without the original authors permission!

like what…?
we create plugins and submit to mios martketplace which gives them full rights over the plugin…

you believe different?

They have done it for other plugins

I would never take credit for someone else’s work, but I’m happy to put forth effort to help improve it, and ensure that the original author gets the changes if he’s interested and can move forward with them freely if he chooses. If not, I’ll be happy to discuss other possibilities, too. But…

Based on other posts I’ve since found here, it sounds like the original author was quite disgruntled, and the last statement he made that I’ve found (Jan 2015) is that he’s not interested in even allowing derivative works. None of the source files bears any copyright notice, so I don’t think he has much ability to prevent me or anyone else from solving the problems in the short term, if he’s still of the same mindset today. And if he is, that’s fine. I’ll just write a new one, and withdraw the patches once I publish it.

Edit: Never mind that second paragraph, looks like a different person. Either way, let’s see what the author wants to do. If he’s tired of it, I’m happy to pick up and run with it if he’s willing to let that happen.

Putting a plugin on the Marketplace does NOT sign away our rights!

Just a quick follow-up. I made contact with Andy over the weekend and he is going to turn over the github repository to me. So, update is coming! And a huge thank you to Andy for being so cool. Deus will live on!

well done

Hi rigpapa

Please keep us updated on the status of this plugin.

Thanks

Z

Richard, maybe you can provide an example PLEG that mimics the same functions as this for people that use it?
I don’t use this plugging but I have a PLEG that mimics our real life schedule, adding minor randomness that is more “real”… In case anyone is watching the house.