I created a new plugin to control IKEA Tradfri light bulbs and outlets using an IKEA Tradfri Gateway. You can:
- Switch light bulbs on and off
- Set the dimming level
- Set the color temperature for lights that support it
- Switch outlets on and off
To a limited extend, it also updates the status of Tradfri devices.
It unfortunately does not use Veras Zigbee interface, but requires an IKEA Tradfri Gateway. In contrary to ALTHue, it does not work with nor support Philips Hue.
I posted this plugin in the openLuup category, because this plugin for now only works on a Linux system running openLuup. The reason is that Tradfi Gateway communication is based on CoAP. The plugin requires luacoap. I’m working on getting this to work on Vera as well, but that is rather difficult because its Linux distribution and openssl in particular is very outdated.
Installation instructions (as available in the Github repo):
- Copy or upload
D_BinaryLight1.xmlfiles plus the
.jsonvariants from your Vera and copy or upload these when you use
- Add a new device by clicking Create on the Devices page. Use
D_TradfriGW.xmlas the definition filename and
I_TradfriGW.xmlas the implementation filename.
- Wait for the new device to appear.
- Configure the IP of your Tradfri Gateway in the
- Lookup the SecurityCode on the bottom for your Tradfri Gateway and enter the code in the corresponding variable of the created device
- Restart Luup and your devices should appear after a short while. The
SecurityCodeattribute will be cleared after successful authentication to the gateway.
You will only see light bulbs and outlets. Other devices, such as remotes or motion sensors can be detected by the plugin, but due to limitations (or design decisions) by IKEA, it is not possible to get state notifications from these devices. It therefore has no use to add them as device in Vera or openLuup.
Device that are not supported (I might add support in the future):
- Multicolor bulbs
- Curtains (Fyrtur or Kadrilj)
- Wifi speakers (Symfolisk series - if possible)