new rental - stick with VeraLite or go Edge or Plus?

I have VeraLite’s in three locations and I’m now adding a 4th home/location.

Have had very good luck with VeraLite stability and simplicity, and am wondering if best to stick with it or are there real advantages to moving to one fo the newer units?

Reliability is a primary factor - I am not close to one/now two of the homes. I do not have even close to 50 devices, so the device limit is not a factor. I see Edge and now PLus can connect to more devices/protocols (z-wave+ and others), but not sure that mean too much either.

Looking for thoughts from those who have remotely located homes and use (or have tried) the Edge or Plus system. VeraPlus system is real new, so maybe there is not enough tie to generate opinoinst here. But how about VeraEdge?

TIA

I have both a “regular” Vera and the Vera Plus. So far the Vera plus is very stable but I don’t have a lot on it yet. A DSC alarm with Envisalink 4 works great also. Well, except I haven’t figured out how to chip the horn when arming or disarming yet.

I would recommend the Vera Plus for sure.

[quote=“mdaecher, post:1, topic:192389”]I have VeraLite’s in three locations and I’m now adding a 4th home/location.

Have had very good luck with VeraLite stability and simplicity, and am wondering if best to stick with it or are there real advantages to moving to one fo the newer units?

Reliability is a primary factor - I am not close to one/now two of the homes. I do not have even close to 50 devices, so the device limit is not a factor. I see Edge and now PLus can connect to more devices/protocols (z-wave+ and others), but not sure that mean too much either.

Looking for thoughts from those who have remotely located homes and use (or have tried) the Edge or Plus system. VeraPlus system is real new, so maybe there is not enough tie to generate opinoinst here. But how about VeraEdge?

TIA[/quote]

Hi mdaecher

I have a very similar configuration and similar concerns (i.e., have vacation property 160 miles from home).

I have made some progress moving from vera3s to several vera plus. Although the UI7 reliability has improved it still is not 100% reliable (like Vera 3s on UI5). That may change in the future but I’m keeping my options open (i.e., continue to rely on vera 3s and UI5 while continuing to evaluate the vera plus for stability).

Z

I keep tabs on a distant home 2nd home with a Vera Lite and have had no problems that would make me want to upgrade to UI7 or Vera Plus.

However, I recently moved to a new primary home and took the plunge and set up a Vera Plus from scratch. I am very happy with it. It’s easily handling 30+ devices. I like that it works with newer-generation z-wave devices. The home energy monitor finally works!

Will I upgrade my distant home to Vera Plus? Someday. My greatest concern is getting seven (Foscam) cameras to integrate with Vera Plus. It took a long time to get them all working in UI5 and I’m not sure it will be any easier in UI7.

I install the VE and V+ and have Vera Lites on my rentals which are rock solid. The old adage applies. If they work, don’t fix em!
But if you are starting with something new, definitely go with the latest hardware.

We use the buses all the time and find them very convenient. They have a lot of local character too. Taxis are a cheap alternative as well depending on where you stay. Where in PV are you staying?