openLuup: Turn-key Images & Linux (Aptitude) Guide

Thank you CudaNet. I will download it now. I’ll give it a shot without a VPN, but I expect a little trouble. So far I haven’t been successful setting up my Astrill VPN on the XU4 yet. But I will try again.

Thank me when you’re up and running… :slight_smile:

I went to the link on pg1 and downloaded the image. (v7_rjl8_031316) I believe it turns out to be the same image as your original one. It has the same name and it will not boot my XU4.

So could you give me the URL link to this new one?

OOPS! Ok I found the link. I didn’t go far enough down the page. But the link want me to sign into One Drive.

I generated a new link, give that one a try…

[quote=“bucko, post:43, topic:191587”]I went to the link on pg1 and downloaded the image. (v7_rjl8_031316) I believe it turns out to be the same image as your original one. It has the same name and it will not boot my XU4.

So could you give me the URL link to this new one?

OOPS! Ok I found the link. I didn’t go far enough down the page. But the link want me to sign into One Drive.[/quote]

I was ready to jump into this again with attempting to bridge to a spare Vera, but after re-reading Page One I don’t see any mention of the bridge files.

Is it possible to include these in the Jesse Lite version?

What happened to the install you just did the other day ? I’m not sure I follow regarding the bridge files ? What bridge files …

[quote=“zedrally, post:45, topic:191587”]I was ready to jump into this again with attempting to bridge to a spare Vera, but after re-reading Page One I don’t see any mention of the bridge files.

Is it possible to include these in the Jesse Lite version?[/quote]

Bridge to Vera.
I’m unclear how to do this. In the Github doc. it mentions uploading Vera bridge files, are these already provided in the image or do they have to be uploaded?

Are you referring to Step [31] within the Jessie turn-key guide on page 1 ? This step explains exactly how to bridge an openLuup instance to Vera.

[quote=“zedrally, post:47, topic:191587”]Bridge to Vera.
I’m unclear how to do this. In the Github doc. it mentions uploading Vera bridge files, are these already provided in the image or do they have to be uploaded?[/quote]

I think my problem is that I don’t know enough about the documentation.
Just as a suggestion:
Post one needs an Index of the Steps so as to stop questions like this. ( I can’t be the only N00b)!
Then, if I (or anyone) else can’t find it we know it’s not there and can ask rather than spending time reading and re-reading sections unsure if the instructions are actually contained in the document.

Appreciate all the time and effort you’re putting into this. :slight_smile:

Odrobian Vanilla added to the turn-key images… Odroid guides will be released tomorrow.
Ubuntu for Raspberry Pi will come sometime next week…

I had more issues with Debian Jessie for XU4 than the Odrobian Jessie image. I kind of like Odrobian, figures I installed that one last.

[quote=“bucko, post:35, topic:191587”]Did you get the imaged emmc card with your XU4? That uses Debian.

BTW, the Odrobian image may not work with openLuup. I played with it and found something about that since Odrobian actually creates a double boot, there are issues with some linux apps working correctly. But you may know more about this than I do.[/quote]

CudaNet,

I went with the Vanilla image this time on my 32gb emmc. At boot, it hangs at this point and does not complete. What do you think? I re imaged it 2 times and get the same result.

Hmm, not sure why that is. I downloaded the image from One Drive and loaded it to an 8GB Micro and expanded the partition (built using 4GB card). Works fine on my end and I’m using the standard Win32 disk imager. I’m in uncharted territory here. Which Win32 Disk Imager did you use ? Do you have an SD card you can try ? I don’t have an eMMC to test with on my end but I don’t see why that would cause an issue.

Edit: This might help…
[url=http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:odroid_flashing_tools]http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:odroid_flashing_tools[/url]
[url=https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=9276]Arch Linux ARM • View topic - Odroid XU4 eMMC installation problem

[quote=“bucko, post:52, topic:191587”]CudaNet,

I went with the Vanilla image this time on my 32gb emmc. At boot, it hangs at this point and does not complete. What do you think? I re imaged it 2 times and get the same result.[/quote]

Yes very strange. I am using WinDisk Imager v13 with the correct adapter. I am imaged my emmc several times before and working.
I even increased the boot partition to 5gb before I imaged it with your Vanilla image.

I do not have a micro flash card to try, but I don’t see this as a problem.

Ifter the boot stops where I showed you, maybe 5 minutes later it keeps adding the line "LCD is on: This repeats every 5 minutes. I have this set up using the HDMI cable.
Why is it changing eth0 to eth1. Never see this at boot before.

I just re imaged it again with the ubuntu 15.10 mate odroid image (original). Everything came right up and working.

So something with your image and I guess the emmc is going south.

No telling… The image probably isn’t the issue as much as the eMMC.
This was on that 2nd link on the post above… Seems they solved it using an SD Micro and eMMC loaded. So odd !

I recently received my Odroid XU4 and have installed Arch linux on an SD card which is working well. However, I cannot get an eMMC install working. After I go through the partitioning and system installation steps I cannot get the kernel blue-LED "heatbeat" when I insert the eMMC and adapter into the XU4 SD slot and so cannot flash the bootloader to the protected area of the eMMC card.

The eMMC card works fine, after several failures of the Arch install, I installed the hardkernel Ubuntu 15.04 image onto the eMMC card which is working well.

Has anyone had any success getting Arch linux to boot from an eMMC card on the Odroid XU3 or XU4?
apm

[quote=“bucko, post:55, topic:191587”]I just re imaged it again with the ubuntu 15.10 mate odroid image (original). Everything came right up and working.

So something with your image and I guess the emmc is going south.[/quote]

Ordered an eMMC for my Odroid last night, hope to reproduce and provide a workaround.

[hr]

The Ubuntu image is just a smidgen to big for a 4GB card, Snappy isn’t supported by a Pi3 nor is LTS 14 (yet). So let’s shoot for a 8GB install which should be just below 1GB download. That is, unless someone knows of a distro that’s headless (post a link please) or perhaps I should just wait.

Thoughts ?

Good luck with the emmc. 8gb would be a minimum size to use I think.

I opted for the 16GB 5.0 module pre-load with Ubuntu 14.04…

Added Ubuntu Server 15.10 for Pi2 and 3 (turn-key). Installation guide will follow sometime tomorrow.