openLuup: Turn-key Images & Linux (Aptitude) Guide

Received eMMC, bummer is my USB 3.0 Transcend reader won’t read it at all. Not too happy about that. Going to load the module and see if I can load from an SD card.

OK, Odrobian image definitely works on eMMC…
See attached for workaround, that is, until I receive my eMMC approved Transcend (I find this ridiculous). This method doesn’t use Win32DiskImager.

{  
   "version":"1127.031316",
   "host":"odroid-openLuup",
   "eth0":"10.0.4.140",
   "user":"root",
   "status":"0",
   "detail":{  
      "description":"openLuup_Backup",
      "abort_code":"0",
      "abort_text":"nil",
      "epoch":"1459043976",
      "input":{  
         "arg1n":"backup path",
         "arg1v":"/home/odroid/vera/cmh/ /home/odroid/vera/cmh-ludl/",
         "arg2n":"initiate failsafe",
         "arg2v":"",
         "arg3n":"output path",
         "arg3v":"",
         "arg4n":"unique disk id",
         "arg4v":"",
         "arg5n":"disk watch",
         "arg5v":""
      },
      "output":{  
         "arg1n":"backup path",
         "arg1v":"/home/odroid/vera/cmh/ /home/odroid/vera/cmh-ludl/",
         "arg2n":"initiate failsafe",
         "arg2v":"false",
         "arg3n":"output path",
         "arg3v":"/home/odroid/vera/backup/2016.03/week.12",
         "arg4n":"unique disk id",
         "arg4v":"f6939b56-f9a7-4815-bac3-aca25235ee14",
         "arg5n":"disk watch",
         "arg5v":"95"
      },
      "disk":{  
         "uuid":"f6939b56-f9a7-4815-bac3-aca25235ee14",
         "usage":"17",
         "unit":"percent"
      },
      "memory":{  
         "total":"2087456768",
         "used":"307146752",
         "free":"1780310016",
         "unit":"bytes"
      },
      "file":{  
         "filename":"1459043976[Sat]-openLuupBackup.tgz",
         "filesize":"1711300",
         "unit":"bytes"
      },
      "distro":{  
         "description":"Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)"
      }
   }
}

Now I need to look into why my script isn’t picking up the UUID of the eMMC…
Edit: Found the issue, I really need to grep the UUID (blkid provided the result in a different position) moving forward.

Thank you CudaNet for your detailed info. However, if you are going to get another reader, perhaps I will wait for you to make an image with that. I don’t have a micro SD I can use anyway.

ANyway, great work!

Yes, reader is coming from Amazon on Tuesday. Below is what I had to order, what’s odd is I have the USB 3.0 version and it acts like I never inserted the adapter/eMMC whatsoever.
“Transcend P5 9-in-1 USB 2.0 Flash Memory Card Reader TS-RDP5K (Black)”

Once I have the writer I’ll know what needs to occur, maybe a new image built using an eMMC (however that just seems so odd), maybe black magic or a perhaps a really strong drink. Regardless, we’ll get this figured out…

[quote=“bucko, post:63, topic:191587”]Thank you CudaNet for your detailed info. However, if you are going to get another reader, perhaps I will wait for you to make an image with that. I don’t have a micro SD I can use anyway.

ANyway, great work![/quote]

Yep. I hear ya. This has been nothing but painful for me as well because I know little to nothing about this linux stuff. I figure it will be a new image for emmc use.

Thanks for sticking with it and I hope you can figure this thing out.

Been wanting to try this on a hyper V partition on a Windows 10 machine I have with plenty of power. Could I use one of these?

Sorry if a dumb question … never mucked with Linux

Definitely not a dumb question…

Unfortunately, the turn-key images I’m hosting are only compatible with ARM processors. You have many options here though. You could use the Linux/Apt guide or AK’s guide to install an x86 Debian Jessie on your VM. Another great alternative is Oracle’s Virtual Box. This is a great way to build an image (x86) on Windows, clone it and load it onto another Virtual Box machine (x86) if you wanted. I can literally build one at home and take the image (thumb drive) to work and load it (very portable). I’ve considered hosting Virtual Box images but I wasn’t sure anyone would be interested.

[quote=“tomgru, post:66, topic:191587”]Been wanting to try this on a hyper V partition on a Windows 10 machine I have with plenty of power. Could I use one of these?

Sorry if a dumb question … never mucked with Linux[/quote]

[quote=“CudaNet, post:67, topic:191587”]Definitely not a dumb question…

Unfortunately, the turn-key images I’m hosting are only compatible with ARM processors. You have many options here though. You could use the Linux/Apt guide or AK’s guide to install an x86 Debian Jessie on your VM. Another great alternative is Oracle’s Virtual Box. This is a great way to build an image (x86) on Windows, clone it and load it onto another Virtual Box machine (x86) if you wanted. I can literally build one at home and take the image (thumb drive) to work and load it (very portable). I’ve considered hosting Virtual Box images but I wasn’t sure anyone would be interested.

[quote=“tomgru, post:66, topic:191587”]Been wanting to try this on a hyper V partition on a Windows 10 machine I have with plenty of power. Could I use one of these?

Sorry if a dumb question … never mucked with Linux[/quote][/quote]

Ha. I was your 1000th post!

I like the oracle idea, but don’t want to buy another Windows license file the VM… so may try the other routes! Will see if I can muck through it. :relaxed:

@tomgru

Happy to try and help from scratch. My documentation may be rubbish, but I don’t seem to have had any problem getting it running on any machine I have tried it on.

@CudaNet

Congrats on 1000 posts, and many thanks for the hard work on the turnkey solutions which does, of course, help those not prepared to muddle through my alternative!

[quote=“akbooer, post:69, topic:191587”]@tomgru

Happy to try and help from scratch. My documentation may be rubbish, but I don’t seem to have had any problem getting it running on any machine I have tried it on.

@CudaNet

Congrats on 1000 posts, and many thanks for the hard work on the turnkey solutions which does, of course, help those not prepared to muddle through my alternative![/quote]

I’m sure your docs aren’t nearly as bad as my understanding of Linux… which begins at zero and goes backwards from there! :-).

I totally understand, we’re all here to help so feel free to ask…

[quote=“tomgru, post:68, topic:191587”][quote=“CudaNet, post:67, topic:191587”]Definitely not a dumb question…

Sorry if a dumb question … never mucked with Linux[/quote][/quote]

Ha. I was your 1000th post!

I like the oracle idea, but don’t want to buy another Windows license file the VM… so may try the other routes! Will see if I can muck through it. :relaxed:[/quote]

I’ve made a lot of mistakes along the way, however I’ve learned so much and have you and others to thank for that. Just doing what I can and passing it along and hoping others do the same.

[quote=“akbooer, post:69, topic:191587”]@CudaNet

Congrats on 1000 posts, and many thanks for the hard work on the turnkey solutions which does, of course, help those not prepared to muddle through my alternative![/quote]

New reader/writer was delivered, hopefully we gain some traction here and I can post a solution tonight…

[quote=“bucko, post:65, topic:191587”]Yep. I hear ya. This has been nothing but painful for me as well because I know little to nothing about this linux stuff. I figure it will be a new image for emmc use.

Thanks for sticking with it and I hope you can figure this thing out.[/quote]

eMMC Micro SD adapter for the fail… Tested with MicroSD and it reads/writes. Load the eMMC w/adapter and Win32 Disk Imager won’t even run. Guess I’ll be emailing Ameridroid in the morning.

There is definately something wrong with your emmc. Mine at least writes fine ( done it a dozen times now)

Good Luck CudaNet

eMMC is fine, the adapter (which was free) is the culprit… Will update when/if they send me a replacement.

[quote=“bucko, post:75, topic:191587”]There is definately something wrong with your emmc. Mine at least writes fine ( done it a dozen times now)

Good Luck CudaNet[/quote]

would it be possible to make a VirtualBox image?

Absolutely… The only issue with OVB images is expanding the disk to your desired size. I have a document (somewhere) that explains how but I’ve never done it.

@Bucko

Haven’t forgotten about you… In fact, Ameridroid has intentionally forgotten about me… I’m going to send them (yet again) another email requesting a replacement SD adapter. Just wanted to keep you in the loop…

[quote=“CudaNet, post:78, topic:191587”]Absolutely… The only issue with OVB images is expanding the disk to your desired size. I have a document (somewhere) that explains how but I’ve never done it.

Thanks… would appreciate it… I have wasted days trying to get this running myself