Phone Call unlock for Airbnb apartments

Hi,

I am trying to develop very simple app for fleet of Airbnb apartments. I want to create simple to use auto apartment check in for any user with any kind of phone (it does not need to be a smartphone).

Idea is to have reserved SIP account online, that will trigger a web service on a ring on a specific number for specific apartment. It is pretty much easy when I set up port forwarding on a router (besides security issue), but I want to avoid that.

Is it possible to install, for example OVPN client on Vera, so I can call web service from OVPN server?

Does anyone have such experiences? Idea is to unlock an apartment on a regular phone call?

Is there any other, smarter solution for that? It needs to be scalable and very easy to maintain because apartments are in different cities, and it would require minimal technical skills for installation.

Any ideas?

There is an OVPN client for OpenWRT, so it should be possible.

I am worried about accidental unlocks. Maybe ring to a specific number FROM a specific number?

I unlock my home regularly while I am gone.
In fact I just ask Vera Concierge on my mobile to do that.
You just need a lock connected to Vera … and use the Remote access servers …
You can do this from Vera’s Mobile app (or any of a number of other apps, including Vera Concierge).

@wilme2 , thank you foru your suggestions. My idea was pretty much similar, even to pay attention to the security.

My only problem is how to install ovpn to Vera, since I saw no tutorials.

@RichardTSchaefer , I am affraid that Vera Concierge would not help me with scalability… but, thanks anyway…

You can create an applet on IFTTT where you?d call a phone number, leave any voicemail, and it makes a url call/web request.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you looked into using Amazon Connect or Twilio APIs? No need to manage your own SIP URIs with native integration into AWS Lambda and API Gateway. Through Lambda for Connect or API Gateway for Twilio, you can have a phone call execute a function that makes RESTful requests to a scene that opens the door. Blog - SmartHome

This opens up risk that you’d have to accept if using the API publicly like this. If this is too much, consider using Virtual Private Gateway to connect to AWS and use local URIs instead. FWIW–i use something in the inverse for Smoke detectors to make phone calls to me.