Plugin: AutoVirtualThermostat (AVT)

Hi,
There is a problem of reading the temperature from the modules netato. Modules can see, but the temperature can only be taken from the central one.

Sorry, I need some clarification. Are you able to select a module as a temperature sensor in AVT’s settings, or do the modules not even show up?

I can choose. The thermostat sees them. But the testimony takes only from the main.

Cool. OK. And have you either set MinBatteryLevel to 0 or applied the hotfix release 1.2.1? If no to either, go the first message in this thread and follow the instructions there under Troubleshooting to do that, and then test again.

If yes, or the problem persists after MinBatteryLevel or hotfix, then please run the status URL documented in the Troubleshooting section of the head post in this thread and PM or email me the output (both are available on my profile).

Yes! It was done! Thank you!

I am having some trouble where the AVT goes offline with the error that it hasn’t seen the temp device is awhile, however i do confirm that its polling correctly at present yet the AVT is not coming back on line.
M

Can you send me that actual message from the log?

Will have to try next time. What lines am i looking for?

M

If you look through your log file specifically for the word “ineligible”, you will find messages that will tell us more about what it thinks. I’m guessing I know, but I want to be sure.

Fast way to get your log is this URL: http://your-vera-ip/cgi-bin/cmh/log.sh?Device=LuaUPnP

[quote=“rigpapa, post:22, topic:198289”]You can USB and all that, but I think using the built-in CGI log reader is the most straightforward:

[tt]http://vera_ip/cgi-bin/cmh/log.sh?Device=LuaUPnP[/tt]

Notice we don’t use the 3840 port number in this URL… it’s just straight HTTP to the Vera. This will display the log. You can copy-pasta from there.

EDIT: By the way, on temps not updating, I’ve already found a UI7 bug and reported to Vera, and they’ve committed to fix in 1.7.26. I found another bug yesterday working on a separate plug-in where UI also doesn’t update when dependent state variables change. Sigh…[/quote]

Rigpapa, can you give me some more info on this bug? I just had a ticket with support on temp sensors not updating, and they couldn’t find anything wrong?

Those were just UI bugs in the handling of the setpoint controls and their (temperature) display.

But there is a known bug in AVT right now related to battery-operated sensor (from Vera’s perspective) sensor handling. As I mentioned in an earlier post here, the flag for a possible occurrence of the bug is seeing the word “ineligible” in the logs related to the sensor AVT is attempting to use. The bug causes AVT to be overly strict and reject the sensor, which puts the red warning triangle up over AVT’s icon if that’s the only sensor. If you think you are seeing that bug, you can try setting MaxSensorBattery to 0 and seeing if your AVT stabilizes. If not, it’s something else, and I want to take a closer look, but I’ll need logs.

Ok, no, ethis seems to be a problem outside AVT… AVT reports dead sensor, and rightly so… some of the sensors flatline for 8-10 hours at a time, and this behaviour started with the infamous firmware updates after .3015 i think… I think i’ll revert to that one to see if it helps… Thanks!

I finally got around to doing some good testing on AVT and I am having some issues and need some clarification.

Overall I like the changes from SVT and I think it may be beneficial to no longer have the co-efficient calculations on the temperature, but rather straight forward set points that just turn on the heater(s) when low temp is reached. The downsides are that I could not really get it to work correctly as it did not turn on my heaters all the time (see below).

First some interface issues:

[ul][li]What is the difference between the green and red icon ?[/li]
[li]Changing the set temperature in the dashboard takes too long as it has to reload between clicks. It can take quite some time to move it by a couple of degrees. This works differently in SVT.[/li]
[li]I always forget which temp is what. i.e. what is left and what is right. Can you distinguish between them ? Perhaps just text above ?[/li][/ul]

Then my test findings:

[ul][li]If I want to use 2 heaters you recommend to use the Fan for the 2nd heater. In the Variables there are settings called FanOffDelayHeating and FanCycleMinsPerHr. Will these settings have an impact if I run a second heater in the fan slot ? how would I set these if I wanted the 2 heaters to run in parallel ?[/li]
[li]When heating, the “Fan” will turn on first and then the main heater about 15 seconds later. Is that by design ?[/li]
[li]If I set the temp at 17.5?c the thermostat will turn on the heaters as mentioned above, and the Thermostat will say “heating”. A few minutes later the heaters will turn off, but the thermostat will still say heating. I have to set it to off and then Auto for it to heat again for a few minutes (1-2) but then turn off again without reaching the set temperature.[/li][/ul]

My testing “Room” still contains the SVT, but it is turned off, so I assume it should not interfere with AVT.

The red icon indicates heating, the green “auto” (idle), and the blue cooling.

2.Changing the set temperature in the dashboard takes too long as it has to reload between clicks. It can take quite some time to move it by a couple of degrees. This works differently in SVT.

I don’t know why that control takes so long to respond. I will send a note to Vera, but it’s a UI7 thing, not something I have any control over. The good news, however, is that you can click directly on the temperature and just type in the setpoint you want.

3. I always forget which temp is what. i.e. what is left and what is right. Can you distinguish between them ? Perhaps just text above ?

It’s low on the left, high on the right. So the low on the left is the heating setpoint, the minimum temp the thermostat will allow before acting. The high on the right is the cooling setpoint: the max the thermostat will allow before activating cooling. The heating must be lower than the cooling, and the thermostat enforces this. Note, however, that there are update problems with the UI7 control, and these have been reported to Vera. I would love it if UI7 had style capability for controls. I’m going to ask amg0 about this for ALTUI (it may already exist there).

Then my test findings:
  1. If I want to use 2 heaters you recommend to use the Fan for the 2nd heater. In the Variables there are settings called FanOffDelayHeating and FanCycleMinsPerHr. Will these settings have an impact if I run a second heater in the fan slot ? how would I set these if I wanted the 2 heaters to run in parallel ?

If you are going to use the Fan slot for the second heater, you need to set FanOnDelayHeating and FanOffDelayHeating to 0. The fan has start and stop delays associated with its default behavior. Setting these variables to 0 stops those delays.

The FanCycleMinsPerHr only applies when the fan mode is set to PeriodicOn. In that case, this variable set the number of minutes out of every hour that the fan will be run. It does not apply in your use case, as long as you leave the fan mode in Auto (which you should if using a heater on the Fan slot).

2. When heating, the "Fan" will turn on first and then the main heater about 15 seconds later. Is that by design ?

Yes, that is the effect of the two fan delays described above. Set them both to 0 and this will stop happening.

3. If I set the temp at 17.5?c the thermostat will turn on the heaters as mentioned above, and the Thermostat will say "heating". A few minutes later the heaters will turn off, but the thermostat will still say heating. I have to set it to off and then Auto for it to heat again for a few minutes (1-2) but then turn off again without reaching the set temperature.

I would need to see either logs or a status dump, maybe both. You can get a status dump by requesting the following URL: http://your-vera-ip/port_3480/data_request?id=lr_AutoVirtualThermostat&action=status

Please send them to me via PM or email (on my profile). Edit: But wait! See below first, before we both go to a bunch of work…

My testing "Room" still contains the SVT, but it is turned off, so I assume it should not interfere with AVT.

Well, that could be the problem above. SVT has a periodic timer task and watches on configured devices that run in all modes and update its status. When “off”, that code explicitly turns off its configured heaters. You should either remove the SVT device, or remove the heater devices from its configuration, and then do a Luup reload and retest. Not saying you haven’t found a bug, but this is highly suspect.

I don't know why that control takes so long to respond. I will send a note to Vera, but it's a UI7 thing, not something I have any control over. The good news, however, is that you can click directly on the temperature and just type in the setpoint you want.

I didn?t know that. That is nice when doing large changes. I do however sometimes change temp by a few degrees so any fix to that functionality would also be good.

It's low on the left, high on the right. So the low on the left is the heating setpoint, the minimum temp the thermostat will allow before acting. The high on the right is the cooling setpoint: the max the thermostat will allow before activating cooling. The heating must be lower than the cooling, and the thermostat enforces this. Note, however, that there are update problems with the UI7 control, and these have been reported to Vera. I would love it if UI7 had style capability for controls. I'm going to ask amg0 about this for ALTUI (it may already exist there).

As I don?t use the cooling, until now I have set both to the same temp. Does that matter with regards to how it works ?

If you are going to use the Fan slot for the second heater, you need to set [i]FanOnDelayHeating [/i]and [i]FanOffDelayHeating [/i]to 0. The fan has start and stop delays associated with its default behavior. Setting these variables to 0 stops those delays.

The FanCycleMinsPerHr only applies when the fan mode is set to PeriodicOn. In that case, this variable set the number of minutes out of every hour that the fan will be run. It does not apply in your use case, as long as you leave the fan mode in Auto (which you should if using a heater on the Fan slot).

This seems to work well to start the fan (2nd heater) when temp changes, but when I move the slider from Comfort to Eco the “fan” stays on, of course it makes sense since the Eco is lower than the Comfort and if you would have a fan it should help cool the room, but when it is used for a second heater this behavior is not ideal since it will continue to heat and not cool…

Yes, that is the effect of the two fan delays described above. Set them both to 0 and this will stop happening.

Yes, that works fine.

I would need to see either logs or a status dump, maybe both. You can get a status dump by requesting the following URL: http://your-vera-ip/port_3480/data_request?id=lr_AutoVirtualThermostat&action=status

Please send them to me via PM or email (on my profile). Edit: But wait! See below first, before we both go to a bunch of work…

Well, that could be the problem above. SVT has a periodic timer task and watches on configured devices that run in all modes and update its status. When "off", that code explicitly turns off its configured heaters. You should either remove the SVT device, or remove the heater devices from its configuration, and then do a Luup reload and retest. Not saying you haven't found a bug, but this is highly suspect.

I think you are right with your hunch. Once I removed the devices from SVT the AVT seems to work fine, so it seems like a conflict even though SVT is off.

I also tested the AVT in Imperihome and it does indeed work well internally (as I only set that) and shows the same interface as SVT but externally it won?t work as I haven?t filled in the URL. Is there a way to connect externally to AVT so that it can be added in Imperihome ?

If the Fan issue and the Imperihome external “issues” can be fixed I think AVT will be a great replacement for SVT. The main problem today with SVT is the fact that it seems to require a periodic LUUP reload or otherwise it will hang on temp measurement on some of my Rooms. Only time will tell if AVT is as sensitive, but SVT is of course a very old plugin that may not have the newer connections to UI7 that AVT has so I would assume it would work better.

[quote=“kulfsson, post:75, topic:198289”]I think you are right with your hunch. Once I removed the devices from SVT the AVT seems to work fine, so it seems like a conflict even though SVT is off.

I also tested the AVT in Imperihome and it does indeed work well internally (as I only set that) and shows the same interface as SVT but externally it won?t work as I haven?t filled in the URL. Is there a way to connect externally to AVT so that it can be added in Imperihome ?

If the Fan issue and the Imperihome external “issues” can be fixed I think AVT will be a great replacement for SVT. The main problem today with SVT is the fact that it seems to require a periodic LUUP reload or otherwise it will hang on temp measurement on some of my Rooms. Only time will tell if AVT is as sensitive, but SVT is of course a very old plugin that may not have the newer connections to UI7 that AVT has so I would assume it would work better.[/quote]

Fan issue? Did my instructions not work?

External Imperihome in this form is unlikely. As it is, ImperiHome support is a bit of a kludge, meant to get everyone’s local dashboards working. Remote access for Vera is a whole big can of worms that goes far beyond simply providing a remote URL to ImperiHome. I’m still looking into what can be done long term.

Fan issue? Did my instructions not work?

I added this my previous quote heavy reply, must have gotten lost: when I move the slider from Comfort to Eco the “fan” stays on, of course it makes sense since the Eco is lower than the Comfort and if you would have a fan it should help cool the room, but when it is used for a second heater this behavior is not ideal since it will continue to heat and not cool.

i.e. moving the slider to Eco will produce the expected results (heater(s) turning off).

External Imperihome in this form is unlikely.

I use Imperihome almost exclusively outside of the location, so that is a dissapointment, but I assume I could work around it. I hope you are able to add this at a later date.

Hmmm. It’s working properly in all three of my test configurations. Can you request the following URL in your browser, and PM or email (on my profile) me the output:

[tt]http://your-vera-ip/port_3480/data_request?id=AutoVirtualThermostat&action=status[/tt]

It looks promising but I guess there’s more to improve. I just hope that it will work fine.

I was going to record a video of this “problem” but now it seems to work fine. I can only assume that a possible LUUP restart or otherwise leaving it alone “cured” the issue. If I had to guess it may be because of the change from the SVT to AVT.

This is of course really good news. I assume I can work around the inability to use the thermostat in Imperihome outside of the network.