PLUGIN: Honeywell Total Connect Comfort Thermostats

JoeyD,

Just finished updating to the latest Vera firmware (1.7.541) and now I see the Auto Mode for my thermostat once again. I configured my RTH9580WF to be able to use the Auto Mode in the Advanced Preferences. Here are my results so far.

1. Can set my thermostat to Off Mode from Vera
  2. Can set my thermostat to Cool Mode from Vera
  3. Can set my thermostat to Heat Mode from Vera
  4. Cannot set my thermostat to Auto Mode from Vera
  5. When I set my thermostat to Auto Mode from the thermostat
    • The Auto button on the Vera indicates properly (see image)
    • The Temperature Setting on the Vera indicates 0 (see image)

Thanks for continuing the great effort!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Got this email from honeywell:

You are receiving this email as an alert that we have temporarily disabled your access to your Honeywell thermostat app. We?ve done so as a precaution because your account was generating an abnormally high amount of traffic and causing service disruptions

This will not end well if they continue to isolate those attempting to use outside of their circle (so to speak). Reducing (or eliminating) the polling rates may provide some longevity but once they get wise to what’s occurring, all they have to do is make a change and this is done. These guys need to up their infrastructure (really, service disruptions) and more importantly, build a single API for their product line. I’m seriously done with this and will start looking for alternatives to control my mini-split systems.

[quote=“memonstatus, post:103, topic:185402”]Got this email from honeywell:

You are receiving this email as an alert that we have temporarily disabled your access to your Honeywell thermostat app. We?ve done so as a precaution because your account was generating an abnormally high amount of traffic and causing service disruptions
[/quote]

[quote=“memonstatus, post:103, topic:185402”]Got this email from honeywell:

[/quote]

I received this exact same email from Honeywell today. I’m using this plug-in on a Veralite running the latest UI7 firmware. I’m also using Homewave on an Ipad to control the thermostats as well as the other Z-wave devices in my home. Does anyone know whether the traffic that Honeywell is complaining about is being generated from the standalone plug-in OR possibly from Homewave?

Just spoke to honeywell, they said my account generated 4200 pings over the course of one day, and they asked me to update the refresh rate to 600 seconds from the default 300 seconds. I asked about the API and they said because of the traffic being generated from 3rd party plugins, they are working to get it out sooner.

Yes either implement a webhook (or equivalent) for an event or allow us to communicate with the device directly. This polling the cloud crap gets old…

Mine is still working fine. I can see that if you had a number of thermostats with lots of changes that it could be a problem. I hope Honeywell doesn’t cut us off, but it does look like they are not entirely happy with what is happening.

JoeyD, haven’t seen you on in a while. Wondering if there is going to be an update to your plugin? Would like to see the Auto Mode feature working properly. Also wondering if you have heard anything from Honeywell on the API? I am hoping that will solve a lot of connection problems.

Thought I’d chime in. I am a programmer for URC’s Total Control equipment. I imported this plugin into the UI6, and now I am able to program controls into my automation system simply by using this. I was able to see the entire command structure imported in from my ZW1 into my programming utility.

Thanks and I hope the issues with Honeywell do not kill this. Many of us on the programming forums have been waiting for this for some time. Honeywell needs to release the API.

Great work,

LGSONE

Joining this late. Have installed the plugin and it seems to work fine. No apparent blocking from Honeywell web site.

Trying to understand what Cycle means on the fan control. If it is some sort of duty cycle running of the blower then I’d like to use that but not sure if duty cycle is configurable or fixed. Can you point me to some clarification of Cycle? I tied setting it but a minute or so later it just reverts back to Auto

I also don’t know what energy and normal buttons are for.

I believe the “Fan Cycle” equates to “Circulate” on the RTH9580. The manual defines this as … Circulate: Fan runs randomly about 35% of the time (home use only). I can set my thermostat to “Fan Cycle” in the Vera and it does change to “Circulate” on the thermostat. The fan does cycle on and off randomly. It does not revert back to Auto by itself. I am not sure how efficient Circulate really is though. You can find many opinions on the subject throughout the Internet.

I was hoping the plugin developer would set the energy and normal buttons to represent the schedule on and off, look back at reply 66 dated February 10. Haven’t heard anything from JoeyD in a while. As of today, the buttons don’t do anything.

Thanks. I have the lesser rth8580 thermostat so it lacks this circulate mode. I did get a scene to achieve the same thing. It is scheduled to run every 45 minutes and it turns fan from auto to on. Then 15 minutes later it reverts back to auto.

I was doing this in hopes of warming up my cold basement. Moved it up from 61 to 63 degrees but that is still 8-10 degrees cooler than main floor.

I am unable to change unit of temperature to F, my vera is only showing C

I’ve only had this installed for several days but I get “user authentication failed” errors a lot of the time. Sometimes it connects, sometimes it doesn’t. I can log in directly to the HW site fine.

The energy and normal modes will only be available (if they work - I don’t know) if your thermostat has that functionality to begin with.

I am a building performance consultant. One of the things we do is HVAC design. Unless you have a strong reason to be cycling your system every 20 minutes or whatever, you shouldn’t. Be aware that all ducts leak. If they are outside of conditioned space you will be exaggerating that leakage by running the air handler more, which costs money and reduces indoor air quality. There is also heat gain/loss through the duct insulation to that space. Finally, running the air handler blower motor costs money regardless of where the ducts are located.

I am building a new house and want to put a thermostat in every room, right now I only have 5, but plan to have 18. What is the best way to support this? My guess is that I should just get 3 Vera Lights one for each floor with 3 Honeywell accounts?

-Nathan

Nathan the issue that has already been encountered is over polling the TCC account from Vera. This resulted in account being locked out. The above was a result of multi thermostats and polling frequencies, so you may want to do a search on the forum for ore information or contact HW to see how they approached this. Constant polling could be treated as attacking TCC

[quote=“nstratton, post:116, topic:185402”]I am building a new house and want to put a thermostat in every room, right now I only have 5, but plan to have 18. What is the best way to support this? My guess is that I should just get 3 Vera Lights one for each floor with 3 Honeywell accounts?

-Nathan[/quote]

Look at radio thermostat, much less complicated.

Hello all you Honeywell WiFi Thermostat users. Looks like we may have lost JoeyD. We have two options at this point. Convincing someone with programming experience to take over the app. Not sure if anyone has the skills and is reviewing this particular forum but, we could really use your help if you are. All the others who use the Honeywell WiFi thermostat and know of a programmer who might be willing to assist should reach out and ask for help. Or, we could convince MCV to add direct support from within the Vera. I am not sure how to accomplish this. I don’t think MCV is interested in expanding their direct support unless they see a large user base for a given product. I assume that is why they started doing direct support for the Nest Learning thermostat. It is pretty and it is popular. The last time I had an issue and opened a ticket with support, I suggested they do direct support for Honeywell thermostats in my reply to the support email I received. The tech said they would pass the request onto the development team. Perhaps we could show our numbers by emailing support asking they start direct support. I have seen several comments in these and other forums that Honeywell has an API and should be releasing it soon. This would be the perfect time for someone to pick up on this plugin and convert it to a local connection instead of the current web login via TCC. Anyone else have any suggestions?

I just installed this app and it installed with no problems. However despite after entering my user name and password and, I have a login success confirmation it tells me “no devices were found”

I have 6 thermostats all visible on the TCC however I am running them through a Honeywell Gateway at Home. My system is 4 zoned all Honeywell equipment. Would this make a difference?