RainMachine

Anybody have one of these?: http://www.rainmachine.com/

This is a really sweet device with a touch screen and is a much improved update to my Hunter controller. It looks pretty new and I haven’t played around with it much yet, but it would be nice if Vera could interface to it!

I don’t have one. I’m getting a new irrigation system soon and came here to find the same info you’re looking for…

It looks pretty new to market and so far I am happy with it. Almost all of the comments (which are largely positive) are spot on when you read the reviews on Amazon. Works as intended for me with 6 zones. Maybe this will be something that ports over easily from other irrigation devices that have vera apps that support http?

It looks like an very nice control device, but the biggest up-front integration challenge will be the absence of a published API.

Without this, you’re left with attempting to reverse-engineer how the iDevice/Android/PC entities communicate with the RainMachine, and then replicating that at some level.

Convince GreenElectronics to publish/support the API for HA integration, and you’d be a whole lot closer, since someone could likely step you through converting one of the existing plugins over to handle the interaction.

I left them a note on their contact page to see if they’d be willing to supply that information.

I just did the same through the support page. Will post the response.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

At least the response was prompt!

Dragos Ana (Green Electronics LLC)

Sep 12 19:07 (MST)

Hi,
Thank you for appreciation.
We do not have an API published yet. We plan to do that but I cannot give you a timeline yet.

Thank you,
Dragos

Small update ;D

Dragos Ana (Green Electronics LLC)

Jan 17 14:31

Hi,
It is in testing phase. We expect to publish it by the end of February.

Thank you,
Dragos

Thanks for they update, and good to hear they’re still working on it.

It’ll be interesting to see if/how it handles water restrictions also, since it sounds like CA is about to go that route. Hoping the measurement devices from Soneter see the light of day also… Being able to measure what the usage, and maybe feed that data back, would be handy .

Sounds very interesting while the price is rather high with $259. I have 11 zones at this supports 12 zones. Keep us posted with the integration. Thanks.

Got this reply from today :slight_smile:

Ciprian (Green Electronics LLC)
Jan 20 08:35

Robert,

The API will be published in about 4 weeks.

Thank you,
Ciprian

help@rainmachine.com

That is great news. I installed a RainMachine a couple of months ago and the iOS app is lacking in many ways. It also does not support IE as a browser so remote control is very limited. I like the onscreen UI but I don’t like having to walk to the garage to use it.

Is anyone planning to create a plug-in for Vera when the API is released?

I’d be interested in this if it gets integrated with Vera AND gets a native Android App or a good web UI… the current Android app looks like it is really a bad web UI using old-school iOS graphics.

[quote=“qwen3579, post:10, topic:176726”]Got this reply from today :slight_smile:

Ciprian (Green Electronics LLC)
Jan 20 08:35

Robert,

The API will be published in about 4 weeks.

Thank you,
Ciprian

help@rainmachine.com[/quote]

Still no API available. ???

It looks to be little more than a very low end android tablet running what is possibly cupcake. If they don’t release the API, hacking it shouldn’t be difficult. It looks like all it is doing is hosting a little webserver, an the app is just a browser shell loading it up.

very interested in integrating this into my system because of how horrible the app is.

BTW: I know I just signed up…but having to fill out 3 different am I a human capatchas on registration, every post, and every edit seems a bit extreme…

[quote=“CoryS, post:14, topic:176726”]It looks to be little more than a very low end android tablet running what is possibly cupcake. If they don’t release the API, hacking it shouldn’t be difficult. It looks like all it is doing is hosting a little webserver, an the app is just a browser shell loading it up.

very interested in integrating this into my system because of how horrible the app is.

BTW: I know I just signed up…but having to fill out 3 different am I a human capatchas on registration, every post, and every edit seems a bit extreme…[/quote]

Yeah, it’s a pain, but it goes away once you reach a certain threshold. 5 or 10 posts, I think?

If you hack the api and get a plugin for Vera, I think a lot of people will be interested. I will. Looks like an OK price for 12 zones with the features.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Just asked them again about the API -

Hi Robert,

The API is still in active development but we do not have any ETA yet.
When it will be ready we will announce it at RainMachine Support

Thank you,
Mihai

I do have it in Spain, and so far so good. I do use it with my android devices and Chrome browser. They just released a new android app. I am controlling it from Canada and I can say that I like it. I do not see any point integrating it with Vera for now.

I can’t say that I agree with that at all… I really want integration wit Vera for many reasons… notifications, PLEG, triggering zones at will when I’m planting in the yard… etc. etc. etc. did I mention PLEG??

The iPhone app stinks… and thee is no option for Windows Phone… which is my 1st choice… We need Vera integration.

-Jasone

seems like the device is pretty self contained… not sure why you’d need PLEG integration if the intelligence is built in the device to adjust the watering schedule itself based on weather, etc. What notifications do you need? “I watered, just like you programmed me to” :wink: jk