RainMachine

[quote=“rayp, post:40, topic:176726”]From Green Electronics:

Sorry for the delay. The real reason is that we are planning to release 2 new products this winter/spring and we try to publish an API that would work for all 3 devices, backwards compatible. That is a real challenge and we will probably publish a subset of this API in 3-5 weeks.

Thank you,
Dragos

[/quote]

2 new products?!? Damn it! I knew I should have just waited.

[quote=“Lonestar10, post:35, topic:176726”]I almost bought The Rain Machine until I read this:

There is no place to connect a rain sensor to this unit, though I suppose you could wire one up before your sprinkler leads.

The lack of a rain or freeze sensor is a deal breaker. I live 35 miles from the National Weather Service office. It could be flooding in my neighborhood and bone dry at the NWS office.

For $249, a sensor option should be included.[/quote]

I have a rain machine and how I got around this is I wired the rain sensor to break the common. So Rain Machine goes through its logic, but if the common is open the valves don’t actually get power to operate. My biggest complaint is opposite, it shows it could rain in my area so it doesn’t water the yard, even though my actual area never got rain.

If I had it to do again I would have gotten open sprinkler to integrate with Vera, but at time of purchase I didn’t have my Vera.

[quote=“Aaron, post:31, topic:176726”][quote=“bformato, post:26, topic:176726”]Having researched all of the available smart irrigation controllers I purchased the Rachio Iro. It seems to have the most advanced intelligence. The system is wifi based, so it won’t directly integrate with a Vera hub, but it doesn’t have to.

Here is a review of the product: http://www.groovemgmt.com/rachio-iro-review.html

[url=http://www.groovemgmt.com/rachio-iro-review.html]http://www.groovemgmt.com/rachio-iro-review.html[/url][/quote]

How is your experience with this ?

It seems people are overall happy in online reviews but there are still some quirks… like it is not smart enough to not water the ‘dy after’ a rain… when the ground is still wet/soaked! … not having this is a gap that cannot be forgiven - they should at least allow the owners to specify an option to turn the water off the day after X inches of rain. Heck, I often leave the watering off for 2-3 days after a hard rain.[/quote]

I’ve been using the Rachio 8-port units for a few weeks now and really like them. So far I’ve seen two water reductions and several watering cycles skipped due to recent rain. Tech support is also good and responsive to issues. They are actively developing the software short-term and a long-term road map. Use of the nearest PWS and recently support for IFTTT.

Yes, we’ve been monitoring this forum for a long time, and yes, we are late with the API release. But we have good news.
With the new firmware version, there is a public API. Documentation to come soon, but, update to version 3.63, and then browse to http://rainmachine_ip/api4.html
You will get the idea.

Most functions work only after you do the auth call.

We will also start a forum for developers on www.rainmachine.com

Thank you

Excellent! Thank-you.

Hello,
There is new public API for RainMachine.
Documentation is “work in progress” here:

For now, only functions marked with “hardware version 1” would work.

Thank you,
Dragos

Released officially…

RainMachine API for developers

200 OK - The request was successful
Welcome to the RainMachine API
We are pleased to announce the release of the RainMachine public API. The RainMachine API is a RESTful interface that allows developers to directly interface with the RainMachine hardware supporting RainMachine API:v4.0 or higher.

The Rainmachine API:v4.0 includes authentication, device provisioning, location info, watering programs and zone properties interface as well as access to daily statistics. System administration commands are now available via the RainMachine API, thus allowing full control over software updates, system diagnostics and even system reboots.

Using the new API developers can build their own application to integrate RainMachine with other home automation systems, 3rd party applications or cloud services. Public API allows the community to develop, integrate and take full advantage of the new generation of Internet of Things devices. RainMachine.com just added a smart sprinkler controller to the IoT world.

More documentation about the RainMachine API is available at: http://docs.rainmachine.apiary.io/

About Green Electronics: Green Electronics LLC , located in Fremont, CA develops and manufactures IoT hardware that assists and enhances the conservation of water resources though the use of applied science across multiple disciplines.

I just looked at buying one of these units but the website says they are getting ready to release new generation products in May. Hopefully they will include a hard-wire input for local rain sensors… It will be awesome if they could also provide a plugin for Vera controllers. That way control of it could be done within existing apps such as AutHomationHD

The Rainmachine Mini 8 for $175 looks perfect and they even say that they have an API they can share.

However, in regards to the last comment above… The manufacturer provides the API to enable third parties in this case Vera to integrate into. They will not write a plugin for Vera.

I am really considering buying this small baby end of this month and if anybody wants to develop a plugin for that, I would be very thankful.

It is now available on Amazon.

Just got mine from Amazon two days ago. So far; no Vera plug-in but I’m sure someone will jump on that soon enough.

I replaced an OpenSprinkler setup, which worked perfectly fine - but I’m always looking for something to tinker with. The unit itself is well constructed and very “modern”. I think they hired the people who designed the packaging for the Nest - it was almost identical.

Initial setup goes much like installing a WeMo device. The unit provides it’s own WAP to start - you join that network with your phone and install the app (iOS / Android). Once installed, it walks you through joining your own local network and takes it from there. This went off without a hitch and was very easy to do.

The iOS application appears to be very neat and tidy. You can activate/de-activate any of the zones (in case you are not using all 8) - this cleans up the interface and hides the ones you have disabled. Adding multiple programs is also a breeze. It provides watering history and even lets you specify the type of vegetation for each zone - not sure what this does at a low level.

It appears to work much like a Nest insofar as that you create a Rainmachine account; they provide a service which looks to log your historical use as well as proxy your connection when you aren’t on your local network. It works on my local network as well as if I’m just on cell data.

Anyway - so far it’s pretty nice. And, with the $25 promo code they sent me, it was cheaper than the OpenSprinkler, came with the power supply, and I didn’t need a separate WiFi-Ethernet bridge to boot.

Top marks in my book.

It’s very easy to use even without the phone app - it’s easy to switch between zones and turn them on with the interface on the hardware.

[quote=“triksterut, post:51, topic:176726”]Just got mine from Amazon two days ago. So far; no Vera plug-in but I’m sure someone will jump on that soon enough.

I replaced an OpenSprinkler setup, which worked perfectly fine - but I’m always looking for something to tinker with. The unit itself is well constructed and very “modern”. I think they hired the people who designed the packaging for the Nest - it was almost identical.

Initial setup goes much like installing a WeMo device. The unit provides it’s own WAP to start - you join that network with your phone and install the app (iOS / Android). Once installed, it walks you through joining your own local network and takes it from there. This went off without a hitch and was very easy to do.

The iOS application appears to be very neat and tidy. You can activate/de-activate any of the zones (in case you are not using all 8) - this cleans up the interface and hides the ones you have disabled. Adding multiple programs is also a breeze. It provides watering history and even lets you specify the type of vegetation for each zone - not sure what this does at a low level.

It appears to work much like a Nest insofar as that you create a Rainmachine account; they provide a service which looks to log your historical use as well as proxy your connection when you aren’t on your local network. It works on my local network as well as if I’m just on cell data.

Anyway - so far it’s pretty nice. And, with the $25 promo code they sent me, it was cheaper than the OpenSprinkler, came with the power supply, and I didn’t need a separate WiFi-Ethernet bridge to boot.

Top marks in my book.

It’s very easy to use even without the phone app - it’s easy to switch between zones and turn them on with the interface on the hardware.[/quote]

Appreciate the ‘real life’ review. Am I correct that this one has no controls on the unit? As in, I couldn’t manually run a station from there?

It looks like the big brother has a screen, but I only have 6 zones and won’t ever add any more!

Appreciate the 'real life' review. Am I correct that this one has no controls on the unit? As in, I couldn't manually run a station from there?

It looks like the big brother has a screen, but I only have 6 zones and won’t ever add any more!

The device has three buttons. An up and down arrow (cycle through zones) and an on/off button for those zones. It’s rudimentary but functional.

OK, cool. I don’t care to ever set things up in the hot garage, but I’d like the irrigation company to be able to manually run things during startup or shutdown. Sounds like this would work for that.

Thanks! :smiley:

Just installed a RainMachine also. So far so good. Not sure about the weather program usage. I have a PWS and would prefer to use that data (rain, temp, wind, etc). Also available via weather underground.

Any news on a Vera plug in?

Ordered a Min-8 today… waiting for the PlugIn for Vera…

-Sri.

anyone has any updates on the vera plug-in for RainMachine?

Heads up, the mini8 is on sale for $129 at newegg.com through April 28, 2016 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAEW3W50926&cm_re=rainmachine-_-9SIAAEW3W50926-_-Product

Any progress on a plugin?

Looks like there is IFTTT, wink, and smart things support.

Maybe someone can build off of those for a vera plugin? <3

Bump?