rebooting Vera remotely

Rebooting Vera remotely it’s possible (theoretically) from Setup->Advanced->Tech Support->Reboot Router.
Somehow in the 602 release there is an issue in the javascript ( it calls an nonexistent file ).

You can fix this by going into Vera’s command line and pasting this:

echo -e “#!/usr/bin/haserl\n<?\necho \"Rebooting...\"\n/sbin/reboot\n\?>” > /www/cgi-bin/cmh/reboot.sh && chmod +x /www/cgi-bin/cmh/reboot.sh

In Openwrt it is an editor, and you can edit /etc/crontabs/root to add a periodic reboot.
0 1 * * * /sbin/reboot #automatically reboots at 1 o’clock

you can edit cron jobs also using command line crontab -e

After you’re adding a cron job you have to reboot Vera or restart crontab deamon using: /etc/init.d/cron restart

Feel free to add a feature request ( on our bug tracking system ) for an webpage that will add cron jobs.

CJ,

Since MCV already knows there is an error in the 602 release when hitting the reboot router button, is there going to be a correction so it works?

Most of the discussion on this page has been about cron jobs, which I have no clue what or how to do this since I’m not a programmer. I really like just having a button to push to turn off and then power on the router again so the Vera works again.

Seems to be fairly important in terms of getting Vera to work again when it locks up. Any thoughts?

For users with problems in holiday appartments and remote locations:

Apart from using a timescheduled Z-wave switch rebooting Vera ;

Are there people who find it usefull to get an HOWTO on rebooting Vera periodically using cron jobs?
This is a Vera internal command that lets your logging rotate, Lua UPnP check run on certain times,

But it can also reboot Vera periodically.

Standard cron setup for vera

/etc/crontabs/root

*/1 * * * * /usr/bin/Rotate_Logs.sh #Rotate_Logs
0 0 0 * * * /usr/bin/CheckUPnP.sh #UPnP checks are disabled

By adding a line like this:

0 1 * * * /sbin/reboot #automatically reboots at 1 o'clock

Vera would automatically reboot every night at 1 am.

Let me know if a HOWTO is needed/desired

–edit–
Syntax corrected on @oTi@ remarks

chron → cron

The question is, will the cron job run if something is wrong with Vera / she is hung.
One would also have to take care of correct timer use in scenes, as certain timers get reset.

If Vera is locked up it seems unlikely that the reboot will take place.
If MCV continues to have lockup issues they should consider introducing a watch dog timer in their next hardware release.
This is common in the industrial world.
Tim

I know some other users have an X10 Phone Interface and X10 Appliance Module for hard rebooting Vera remotely via phone. I came across this today on eBay and seems to be an all-in-one solution:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Way-Phone-Wireless-Remote-Control-Module-For-DC-AC_W0QQitemZ360193761745QQcategoryZ94879QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZe11014.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%26otn%3D9%26pmod%3D170567476535%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D323681980930563663

edit: Direct Link to Store:

I wonder about their compatibility with Phone service supplied by Verizon Fios or another cable company. Do you see any problems with this thing and Fios Phone?

Even as stable as Vera is getting, there will always be a need for something like this because Murphy’s Law prevails.

My Vera 2 is plugged into an APC Smart UPS with built-in network management card, which has a web server. if I need to reboot any device plugged into my APC, I login to the APC and power off and on the power to reboot connected devices. The APC and network card are pricey but great for doing instant reboots remotely when desperate. This assumes you’re not using the Vera as a router. If you want a cheaper route, you can get an older Smart UPS from eBay that takes the older AP9617 network card instead of the newer AP9630 network card.

$3.95
GE 50459 24-hour Lamp & Appliance Timer
Vera is now never unaccessible for more than 23:59 hours at a time…

http://www.amazon.com/50459-24-hour-Appliance-Timer-Multiple/dp/B0000CAPFM/ref=sr_1_10?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1307040471&sr=1-10

[quote=“anthonyris, post:28, topic:164494”]GE 50459 24-hour Lamp & Appliance Timer
Vera is now never unaccessible for more than 23:59 hours at a time…[/quote]

I had the same timer installed on Vera when I was maxing out memory, but now that Vera is running better I just want something I can use to get more immediate control for a reboot. I might also have it reboot my Router too just as a precaution.

For under $30 I think I’ll pick up one of those phone/relay boards or I might just get the X10 dialer as then I can re-use some of my old X10 stuff.

Which phone/relay boards are you referring to? I can’t seem to find reference to them in the thread. I’m looking to have similar control (inexpensively) for my Vera2 and routers.

Thanks!

David

In my post here:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=1130.msg42007#msg42007

I know this is old topic but via Google search, this comes up first. Thought I would update for others and help find quicker answer.

Here is lots of good solutions:

1. Create scene to auto reboot from UI
  2. Click reboot button from UI(new location in UI5)

http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Restart

I have my Vera powered through and Elk output. I even use a 19 cam power supply and eliminate the wall wart. I also have my routers, DSL modem, XEP, IPTV box set up this way. This is the easiest/cheapest way to reboot. I have an Elk rule that whenever this output is turned off, turn it back on in 10 seconds.

Then make a scene to turn off this output and even write a sched for it, OR, use PLEG to control it.

I can reset everything remotely no matter what state they are in.

Yes, I know this is an OLD topic, but I have come across a trick that may help both previous posters as well as future googlers of this page:

To reboot your Vera, the following URL works:

http://VERA_IP/cgi-bin/cmh/cmh_reboot.sh?cmd=reboot

This would only work if you could get onto the local network… but there’s always a possibility someone could figure out how to pass that through the Vera relay.

I use a Wemo switch and plug the Vera into it. if Vera hangs when I’m away from home, I can still reboot the Vera using the Wemo.

For $15 this is the best thing I did for Vera.

[quote=“doctorkb, post:34, topic:164494”]Yes, I know this is an OLD topic, but I have come across a trick that may help both previous posters as well as future googlers of this page:

To reboot your Vera, the following URL works:

http://VERA_IP/cgi-bin/cmh/cmh_reboot.sh?cmd=reboot

This would only work if you could get onto the local network… but there’s always a possibility someone could figure out how to pass that through the Vera relay.[/quote]
I get an authorization popup when hitting this URL in an Incognito window. Have you tried this outside of the current window/session?

[quote=“dannieboiz, post:35, topic:164494”]I use a Wemo switch and plug the Vera into it. if Vera hangs when I’m away from home, I can still reboot the Vera using the Wemo.

For $15 this is the best thing I did for Vera.[/quote]

I agree. If vera hangs ups Http commands will not work. This way guarantee’s you’ll be able to remote reboot no matter what the issue is.

I use an Elk controlled relay to supply power to Vera. That way I have independent control worldwide for doing a Vera cold restart.

[quote=“dannieboiz, post:35, topic:164494”]I use a Wemo switch and plug the Vera into it. if Vera hangs when I’m away from home, I can still reboot the Vera using the Wemo.

Where can I buy this for $15. Cheapest I can find is $30.

[quote=“packman, post:39, topic:164494”][quote=“dannieboiz, post:35, topic:164494”]I use a Wemo switch and plug the Vera into it. if Vera hangs when I’m away from home, I can still reboot the Vera using the Wemo.

Where can I buy this for $15. Cheapest I can find is $30.[/quote]

I bought one off amazon but not Wemo brand, just search for wifi outlet.