Restarts on just about any scene or Reactor

So I’m not sure where to start, but my Vera Plus restarts are WAY higher than normal. Like running almost any scene or Reactor activity set will trigger it - and often the actions don’t complete obviously. I ran through the log to see if anything jumped out, and noticed this IP a few times in red… and it’s my Samsung Gear S3 watch - no clue why it would be on Vera, and even more concerned with some user/pass in there… Any ideas?!

FileUtils::ReadURL 7/resp:0 user:admin pass:admin size 1 http://192.168.1.198/common/info.cgi response: <0x761de520>

I am experiencing that same issue too.

Oh really? Like suddenly (~week ago?) without any ‘known’ changes?

Yes. No idea why because I have not made any changes. It seems pretty random so can’t tie it down to a particular app???

My Plugins:

• Harmony
  • Reactor
  • PLEG
  • Ecobee
  • Ademco Vista Alarm Panel with EVL3
  • House Modes
  • Vera Connect WWN (Works With Nest)
  • Dark Sky Weather
  • Rachio
  • Yeelight
  • Virtual Switches
  • SiteSensor
  • Vera Alerts
1 Like

wait! what was that putty command again? i was going to check that too!

is this same thing?

Blockquote

SSH into your vera (using Putty or any other SSH client)
Login as root with the password thats on the back of your box.

At the prompt type:

<df -h>

If you find something like:

/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 503.9M 20.2M 458.2M 4% /tmp/log/cmh

Blockquote

1 Like

Exactly that. It may be you’ve run out of space

C

1 Like

I may (a bit strongly) urge you to migrate the following plug-ins:

PLEG ► Reactor
VeraAlerts ► Reactor
HouseModes ► Reactor
Dark Sky Weather ► SiteSensor
Virtual Switches ► Switchboard (built-in import!)

All of @rigpapa’s plug-ins are very resource-friendly and well-maintained!

2 Likes

The big suspect for me here is WWN. I banished that plugin a long time ago. It really wreaked havoc with my system. I wasn’t happy, because I have Nest thermostats exclusively in my house, but having my Vera tanking all the time was worse. That was my experience. For the record, my system got a lot more stable when I stopped using PLEG, and that’s a big part of the reason I wrote DelayLight, and then Reactor.

2 Likes

Agreed - I’ve moved 95% of my pleg stuff in Reactor. I’ll need to learn more about sitesensor for replacing darksky. I use it to determine cloud cover for gloomy conditions (which turns on more lights, and turns off if sun returns, etc.)

Yeah WWN very well could be causing issues - I use ecobee for thermostat, and this is all for the Next Protects… but I like the idea of having them tied into the automation for turning on lights, disabling hvac in event of alarm, etc.

But I’m seeing small things like using Autovera (via tasker) trigger a single virtual switch, which only does 2 things: Disarm the alarm panel and then unlock deadbolt. Even that tiny activity triggered a restart the other day. That was probably the worst “easy” thing that triggered it. The other large scenes (both native scene or using Reactor to carry actions) is almost 100% restart occurrence. But those scenes (morning and goodnight) run many things, harmony, alarm (only goodnight), ecobee, etc.

I think DarkSky is low on my list of suspects. It’s supported and developed by a well-known and very skilled developer here.

2 Likes

Recalling that my own Vera Plus was randomly doing Luup reloads as recently as last month, I can tell you the two (and probably only two) things I did that quited it down:

I (re-)ran the code by @rafale77 which (re-)enabled “Reload on Time Jumps”…

…and I rebooted my Vera using Settings > Network > Reboot. I have a strong suspicion that this second move was the more effective of the two. It had been a mighty long time since doing a restart of that nature.

No random restarts (ok, maybe one) since then! I realize all of this may not help with your particular issue, but it can’t hurt, eh??

Ran that code via test luup code, hopefully that was the right way lol
And then rebooted - fingers crossed. I’ll know within a few hours haha

thanks!

You did good, son. :wink:

1 Like

Ok, here’s my memory/space readout:

No dice on this resolving as the restarts continue during scenes/activities.
I will add that I think it’s tied mostly to a change in house mode, fwiw

1 Like

Space looks OK

What have you got set to change when house mode changes?

C

Not much - a handful of sensors change arm/disarm state, but there are no actions like lights on/off/dim/etc.

I’ve got 206 devices so think it might get hairy doing that through mode changes

We know that Vera generally degrades the larger your Z-Wave network becomes, and ironically, it has been shown that leaving the stacking of (many) multiple jobs in a row will cause her to behave erratically.

May I suggest porting some of those Arm/Disarm toggles over to Reactor (maybe a dozen at a time, until the problem abates), since you can there introduce a [Delay] action between batches.

This advice comes on the heels of a separate discussion in which we all essentially agree that such delays are key to keeping Vera from puking on long chains of actions (i.e. Mode change panel).

If you’ve confirmed it’s house mode changes, try stopping the sensor changes?

Or stop the house mode changes? See if that narrows it down?

C