Sharp TV ethernet control

[quote=“big517, post:20, topic:171325”]Ok, started from scratch so we’ll see. I’m not sure how to SSH into the VERA to ping this so hopefully it works.

Thanks again.[/quote]

You can use the same PUTTY program to ssh to your Vera IP address. The username is root and the password is printed on the bottom of your Vera unit. Once at the command prompt, just type “ping <tv_ip_address>” the same as before.

Works!

I think if you change AV Mode to anything other than AUTO and then Disable Energy Saver, it will not shut off the RS232 control. I was able to turn the TV on/off, and I think before I switched that I could only turn it off…

Is there any way to operate the TV other than Advanced Scene tab?

Now the next thing is to find the RS232 codes that do NOT show up in the manual.

EDIT:
Check this out… Maybe "RSPW1 " will fix the disconnected issues and not require a manual power cycle.

Section	 Command	 What it Does
POWER ON COMMAND SETTING	RSPW0	 Tells the TV not to respond to POWR1 commands when the TV is turned off.
POWER ON COMMAND SETTING	RSPW1	 Tells the TV to respond POWR1 commands when the TV is turned off.
POWER SETTING	POWR0	 Turns the TV off.
POWER SETTING	POWR1	 Turns the TV on if and only if the TV has received the RSPW1 command and has not received a RSPW0 command since.

[quote=“big517, post:22, topic:171325”]EDIT:
Check this out… Maybe "RSPW1 " will fix the disconnected issued and not require a manual power cycle. [/quote]

I’m glad it is working for you! Yeah, I think I must have issued that command a long time ago on mine, because it responds to the POWR1 command when I turn it off. I will add both of the RSPW commands to the Implementation so that it can be toggled from Vera.

The flash-based remote control builder has not been fixed yet, so you cannot really do anything with the commands outside of scenes yet. If it were working, you could build a custom remote to be accessed from your phone or tablet. That is found under the Devices>>AV Gear view in your Vera web page. Right now, it just loads to a blank lavender screen in Chrome and a blank black screen in IE9.

Do you plan to make a plugin that shows the device state etc…? That would pretty cool, only if it’s using the ON/OFF state (that’s all that is useful to me at this point it seems anyway).

Thanks,

[quote=“big517, post:24, topic:171325”]Do you plan to make a plugin that shows the device state etc…? That would pretty cool, only if it’s using the ON/OFF state (that’s all that is useful to me at this point it seems anyway).

Thanks,[/quote]

There is no reliable way to determine the state of the TV since it doesn’t report anything to Vera other than command responses. Being that it still responds to the power on command when off means that it keeps the network connection alive in order to receive commands. This means that you cannot use PING to determine if the set is on or not and there are no status commands implemented for incremental polling. You could say that if Vera turned it off, then that is the state, but what if someone turns it back on with the remote or on the TV itself? This would mean that Vera has the wrong state. I just don’t think there is a lot more that can be done unless Sharp implements more functionality in IP Control.

That is understandable… So the main benefit would be the ability to control from the gui… Let us know if you plan to tackle the project.
Thanks.

[quote=“big517, post:26, topic:171325”]That is understandable… So the main benefit would be the ability to control from the gui… Let us know if you plan to tackle the project.
Thanks.[/quote]

About the only things left to do on this are the following:

[ul][li]Add support for the RSPW commands[/li]
[li]Figure out how to incorporate username/password[/li]
[li]Figure out how to take in a custom port number for [/li][/ul]

Once these items are done, I will post it as a downloadable app. That is about all that can be done with it for now.

After doing some digging, I was able to use the Onkyo and Binary Light JSON files as examples, I was able to add buttons to the control pad for this. Here is the latest with the following changes:

[ul][li]Added Remote Power (RSPW) commands[/li]
[li]Added all the View Mode commands[/li]
[li]Added special commands for 3D Televisions[/li]
[li]Added On and Off buttons to the main control pad and in the Control tab[/li][/ul]

It looks like Sharp does a good job of avoiding overlap in commands for IP Control between different TV sets. None of the new commands for 3D TV’s overlap with the commands we already had. While the buttons cannot determine status, they do function for turning the TV on and off.

Now, I still need to determine if there is the ability to send authentication when using the raw or crlf protocol. I looked all over the place but could not find anyone actually doing this, and the documentation for Luup does not say whether this is or is not possible.

EDIT: I used modified code from the DSC Alarm Panel plugin Implementation file to add the capability to specify a custom port in the IP address field in the format: <ip_address>: (eg 10.0.0.1:10003). If no port is specified, it defaults to 10002. I also found in the documentation where you cannot specify a username and password using the built-in raw or crlf protocols. The function luup.io.open only takes the device ID, IP address, and Port number. Here is a list of the new features:

[ul][li]Added the ability to specify a custom port number in the IP address field (eg. 10.0.0.1:10003)[/li]
[li]Added a check to see if there is a connection before attempting to execute a command. The start up function is called before command execution if there is no connection[/li][/ul]

I feel like this is now complete enough to upload as a downloadable plugin and will work on doing that.

You are the man… Great work, nice to see something happen so fast!

Thanks @big517!

This app has now been published to the App Market for download, and I have verified that it works! Enjoy!

Very Nice, downloading now. I suggest you note that the FIRST thing they should do is turn the TV on and run that Command that disables the IP Control sleep policy. That way it’s always listening… Until I ran that I had to manually turn my tv on if it was off more than 1 minute. Otherwise people will say it stopped working and wont turn their TV on.

I had it in the testing section, but I also added it as the last Installation step just to make it more visible.

I installed this control, but I’m not sure I understand the last step on install:

“With the TV turned on, add it to the Advanced section of a scene and choose the command OnIP under RemotePower and run the scene. This will enable the TV to be turned on using IP Control.”

Where do I do this? I can’t find this option anywhere?

Also, where do I get other controls in the UI? All I see is On and Off, and Off works, but On only works if the TV was just turned off.

Thanks for the help!

@maverick,

You Do this under the Advanced tab of a scene. I have attached 2 screenshots to help.

First, you either create a new scene or use an existing one. Go to the Advanced tab as shown in the first screenshot. Select your Sharp TV and click the Add button. It will appear below with another drop-down for commands. Under RemotePower, choose OnIP as shown in the second screenshot. Click Confirm Changes and then click the Save button. After that process is complete, run the scene. You only need to do it once. This enables the TV to be powered on over IP. After that, you just use the normal buttons for on and off as you wish.

As far as other commands go, I didn’t want to clutter the control pad with a bunch of buttons, so you add individual commands in the Advanced section of scenes as described above. Once MCV gets the remote control building functionality working, you will be able to create your own remote control for it. Until then, we are stuck with individual commands. I figured that the On and Off buttons would be used a whole lot more than anything else. Please let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions.

EDIT: I have also added this process to the Help page.

[quote=“maverick, post:33, topic:171325”]I installed this control, but I’m not sure I understand the last step on install:

“With the TV turned on, add it to the Advanced section of a scene and choose the command OnIP under RemotePower and run the scene. This will enable the TV to be turned on using IP Control.”

Where do I do this? I can’t find this option anywhere?

Also, where do I get other controls in the UI? All I see is On and Off, and Off works, but On only works if the TV was just turned off.

Thanks for the help![/quote]

Alternately (depending on which Version of UI5 you are running), you can also call them from:
http://xx.xx.xx.xx:3480/data_request?id=lu_invoke

From this page, you can also find out which URL works for each action, and potentially build your own web based remote!

[quote=“strangely, post:35, topic:171325”]Alternately (depending on which Version of UI5 you are running), you can also call them from:
http://xx.xx.xx.xx:3480/data_request?id=lu_invoke

From this page, you can also find out which URL works for each action, and potentially build your own web based remote![/quote]

@Strangely, this link has saved me soo much time recently! How would I go about building my own Web Based Remote?
Thanks!

Have you ever done any HTML? You don’t need to be a programmer, and there are several paid for editing packages, free packages or even web based editors. You could even get away with doing it in MS Word to a certain extent!

I see… So just use the same URL in that page? Too easy!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

The broken remote control functionality from UI4 used image maps for the remote controls. That way, you just use an image of your choice and then determine what regions map to which link. If you have never worked with them before, here is a tutorial.

I see… So just use the same URL in that page? Too easy!

2[/quote]

My on/off functionality was spotless with the Sharp App until the recent upgrade to 1.5.408. Now i have no TV control. Is anyone else having this problem?
I can ping the IP of the TV so I know it is there. Any other test I can do?