SQ Remote won`t authorize with BOX.NET

Same problems here :frowning:

I have updated the configuration files with some more switches, but it’s not possible to download the files to the IPad.

I have heard that the technical guy with all the know-how no longer works for SC anymore, so they have some challenges in order to solve these problems.

Luckily my blaster is still in the warranty period. I have discussed the possibilities for returning the blaster to the shop (despite all the work I’ve put into it), if there’s no solution to these problems by the end of this year. I consider this system as ‘defect’ as long as I cannot update my remote app.

They should pull the app from iTunes as well, as you cannot use it any more. I tried with all my ipads and iphones, none of them can download any configurations any more. I tried manually transfering files to them via iFile, but have not managed tio get that working (iOS 8.1, jailbroken)

I don’t think so. The app works well, the only thing is at the moment, that you cannot up- and download the setup.
Nevertheless you can configure each device individualy.
If Apple would delete the app from the appstore, it would render the hardware useless.
That certainly is not an option.
I have managed to get a lifesign from one of SQ’s developers. Lets see what he can come up with. (fingers crossed)

BTW, If you have jailbroken devices, you can transfer the complete app including the setup from one device to another.
I have tried that, it works.

BTW, lets not forget, that BOX.NET is to blame here. They disabled an API that is in use by an application that is made by another company.
In my opinion it is unacceptable that a company that sells cloud space disables hardware and software at their will just because they can.

Cheers
Umtauscher

Don’t know the reason why Box did change the API key, but I think that if you choose to work with third party services for your product, you can expect that development has to be done from time to time. It is the same with the aps on your IPad. They also get updates from time to time because Apple makes changes to iOS. Welcom to the world of software :-X

Box informed SC almost 2 years ago (??) about the upcoming changes with the API key! If they were able to update the software, we would certainly not have had these problems. Unfortunately the problems of SC became our problems. Removing the app and the blaster from the store until problems are solved seems fair to me.

That is in no way the fault of software. Its the fault of greedy companies. (I am a software developer myself)

Sorry, but to me it is totally irrelevant if box informed anyone or not. (I doubt it though)
They modified their API it to be inkompatible with the previous version.
I fact I asked them for the old API documentation and they claimed it wasn’t available.
(The idea was to setup a local server with an emulation of the old api so we could use it to transfer the files)

So from BOX.NET they are in no way willing to help to solve a problem they produced themselves.
I think the change was intentional to kick out old users/apps.
Just my 2 ct.

What would you gain if the App were removed from the App store? Up- and downloading the setup files is not the only purpose of the app.

Hi Umtauscher,

I don’t say it’s the fault of software. I think that if you make an application, you cannot expect that it will work ‘forever’ despite software development around you (operating systems, third party systems). And again I don’t know the reason why Box did change the API key. Maybe it is ‘greed’, maybe not.

I see the app and the blaster and the designer software as a complete system and as user, it is reasonable to expect that it will work. The remote app doesn’t work if it is not able to download config files. Up- and downloading config files is not a purpose, it is an important function of the app. Okay, you can create some buttons local in the app, but saving your creation is not working. If you need to re-install the app, you can start all over again. New buyers of this system must at least be made aware of these problems. They will be disappointed until the problems are solved. Temporary removing this app is only fair. But that’s my opinion :wink:

update full

:wink:
tanks

@Jep71
That is exactly what i meant. Yes i can create something on my iPad. But if you see my setup that’ll take days or even weeks to do on the iPad. And i had to upgrade the iOS on one of my iPads, and as i cannot download the setup nor access box.net, it is useless.

@Umtauscher
I have tried copying everything in the directory from my iPad mini (iOS 6.1.2) to my iPad3 (iOS 8.1) both jailbroken. It did not work. Opening SQ remote on the iPad3 after i copied everything over just gave me a blank or empty carousel. Nothing was there. I think part of the problem is the folder structure is different, and even though i copied everything into the equivalent folders, it did not work. It is possible that i missed something, i might have to spend some more time to try but it is certainly not straight forward, and i do have some knowledge although not an expert unfortunately

Hmm, I copied the app from my iOS6.1.3 iPad3 to my iOS5 iPad1 (that’s the only device that I have that could be completely restored without risking having to upgrade to iOS8)
I took the complete application directory and copied it to the other device.

I don’ know about iOS8, sorry

There have been some great points made here. Unfortunately this type of thing will happen increasingly as we purchase hardware that has a reliance on the cloud. Some companies will fold or get bought and there will be semi-useful or useless products left that still have life left in them. That’s one thing I do like about the vera. If MCV folded, I could still access my system remotely with some work by a VPN setup until I could find something else.

That being said, it would be nice if Square Connect would fix this issue or make their existing apps open source so we could fix this.

[glow=red,2,300]Hooray for open source ;D[/glow]

I think that will not happen due to licensing issues.
The thing that I would like to have is to be able to send the setup via mail from one device to the other.
I think the problem is, that Apple insists on an app being updated for IOS8 if they upload a new version, which might be much additional work.

Square Connect just announced on their facebook page that they are now aware of the problem and will provide an update when it is available. Their post: “box API issue: Box.com have changed their API. We are working on a solution and will update this page when it is available. Many apologies for the inconvenience.”

I’ve found a way to put the configuration inside ipads and iphones, using the softwareiexplorer i can change the files of the app and overwrite them for the one i’ve created on the sq designer.

@privus
Could you please let us know of what you copied from wheer, and which iOS version ? That would help quite a few people myself included

Inside the App, there is the folder Documents, inside you will find the files SQ… and devices… , open the zip that sq designer created and extract that, you will have packge… and the devices… , trade the name of the packge… files by SQ… the files inside the app and paste the inside the app. Open the app and you will see it runing the newest version of your desing. Also the files are all .xml so you can change little things easyer if you need it to.

All IOS Versions are ok.

Srry about my english.
Regards

Just came across this issue today. I noticed a few months back that Square Connect didn’t seem to exist any more and wondered how long it would be before things started breaking.

Hopefully they get a fix sorted soon or I’ll be moving over to iTach.

Hi together,

I use a lot of idevice as remotecontrol for Mios Control

When you have an internal access to your iphone:

go to /private/var/mobile/Applications/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/Documents, you must found your own directory xxxxxx of your SQremote.app in your idevice, then past all the xml file.

It works ;D,

Bye and happy new year 2015 …

This is a solution when your iphone or ipad is jailbreaked. My ipad isn’t it.