TempLogFileSystemFailure messages periodically in log

Thanks for the info.

I have another question…

I seem to have the following issue being logged many times. I’m not sure if it is normal or if it is hurting anything. It is as follows:

02 07/22/19 8:39:01.360 e[33;1mUserData::TempLogFileSystemFailure start 0e[0m <0x769f6520>
02 07/22/19 8:39:01.382 e[33;1mUserData::TempLogFileSystemFailure 6464 res:1
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 33 Jul 16 2018 /etc/cmh/HW_Key
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 31 Aug 23 2016 /etc/cmh/HW_Key2
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 9 Jul 16 2018 /etc/cmh/PK_AccessPoint
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 7 Apr 25 09:04 /etc/cmh/PK_Account

Then, it continues to list directory contents.

Is this expected? It seems to popup about every couple of minutes.

Thanks.

Yes. This is normal… Look for “exit” as a keyword for a reload.

This is such a common question, I thought it deserved its own topic in hopes of making it easier for newcomers to find by search.

Thanks again. I do not have the word “exit” in the log file.

Are you telling me that this error indicates that luup is reloading – every couple of minutes?

No I am saying that the report you showed is normal.

The word “exit” is what indicates a reload.

The message containing “TempLogFileSystemFailure” that appears periodically is simply part of the diagnostic output from the depths of Luup that indicate that it is currently saving user_data, the large data structure that contains almost everything it knows about all of your devices. This structure is used in RAM in an operating Vera, and if found to be “dirty” (modified), it will be written to non-volative (Flash) storage to preserve its contents across reboots/power failures/Luup reloads. On systems that are even nominally active, this event will occur every six minutes. On very quiet systems (and that basically means systems with no Z-Wave devices), there may be no modifications to user_data for some time, so these messages may appear at irregular intervals. But most systems that have Z-Wave devices (and especially those with polling enabled) will typically see this message every six minutes because user_data objects are being updated constantly.

This message is not an indication that Luup is reloading at that moment.

Those of us OCD types who get a schwitz and a rash every time the word “Failure” appears anywhere in a log file wish that Vera would remove this dire-looking but apparently benign message and the unnecessary chatter from the log file, but it hasn’t happened yet.

2 Likes

I believe this (lengthy) message was added in haste a while back when they were trying to diagnose a particular problem. It makes perusing the log almost impossible, and IMHO actually increases the frequency of reloads!

Between this and the “got CAN” coming back from every dimming action the logs are pretty cluttered indeed.

Yeah, that’s another one that makes me itch. Also the logging of every state variable change by default. The first thing I do on every new Vera is turn off log level 6. Even working on plugins, I rarely turn it back on. It’s like sipping from a firehose.

2 Likes

How do you “turn off log level 6”?

I log in to the Vera using ssh, then (carefully) edit /etc/cmh/cmh.conf. The line containing LogLevels has a list of comma-separated levels that are allowed to appear in the log file, and I just remove the “6” and its comma and save changes. Then Reload.sh and it’s done.

If you’re not fluent with vi for editing, ssh into the Vera and run this (copy-paste only, don’t retype–too risky/has to be exact–one line at a time):

cd /etc/cmh
cp -p cmh.conf cmh.conf-orig
sed -i 's/^LogLevels = 1,2,3,4,5,6,/LogLevels = 1,2,3,4,5,/' cmh.conf
Reload.sh

The first and second line change directory and make a backup copy of the file. The third line edits the file in place (conservatively).

2 Likes

Thank you very much!!!

Thanks for this! My logs no longer look like a crash dump of a circa 1978 VAX.

3 Likes

I’m sure there are plenty of threads out there regarding this, but you guys seem to know a lot :slight_smile:

Do you know what Ezlo is doing with Vera? Are they going to create any new controllers? I sure hope that they replace UI7 with something more stable.

If you’ve heard anything regarding the future of the Vera platform, I would appreciate some insight.

Thanks-in-advance.