TKB in wall switches clicking non stop

Have had two in-wall TKB TZ78 switches fail in recent weeks. Started clicking in middle of night and did not stop. Anyone know what the cause may be? Just as you think your setup is actually working …

Genuine hardware failure?

If you power cycle them, does that fix the problem?

In a rentals with guests so not sure when I can test. It disturbed them that much both sets of guests had to sleep in the living room. Have taken out for time being. Thing is they are connected to panel heaters (not needed at the mo in summer) and it worries me these switches would be turning the panel heater on and off all night.

Hi powisquare I’ve come across the clicking sound you’re talking about a few times, each time after a power loss (power outage). In my cases when there was that clicking sounds it was not turning the switch on and off, the switch was turned on and could not be turned off. I found turning of the breaker to the switch for 30 seconds and then turning the breaker back on solve the issue. The switches still worked after.

2 Likes

Thanks TDehnke - do you have the TKB switches also?

Reviving an old thread…
Not sure if this is the same issue but I’ve seen this behavior with the Zooz ZEN21 wall switchs. At somewhat random two of the switches would randomly turn off and on, sometimes even clicking back and forth like a slow strobe. After some screwing around with them I found that they would only do this when they were screwed down into the box. As best as I can tell the inner mechanism was being torqued on by the tension of bending the copper wires when clamped into the box. When the switches were hanging free on relaxed wires there were no problems.
Zooz replaced one of the switches that just wouldn’t stay on and the other is in my garage and still every once in a while will go on or off. If it starts going repeatedly on and off I smack the wall (plywood wall) and it will usually behave.
Because the problem goes away when the switch isn’t clamped into the box I’ve wanted to try wiring the switch to some flexible stranded wire pigtails so the wire isn’t able to apply torque to the switches inner mechanism. (It is still on the "I’ll look at it list.)

Interesting! I do like a problem resolved with a bit of a whack. I had another go on the blink a couple of weeks ago - this time a slow tick - still no idea what causes it but the switches are in tight with solid 2.5mm cable so there may well be some tension there. Power cycle did not resolve the issue. I am almost resigned to getting an electrician to install a contactor for the whole heating circuit - only one switch to go wrong.