UI7 ▾ Vera Software Update ▾ 7.0.30 - Nov 20, 2019

Oops?

I wonder if we see the ‘corporate’ line here?

C

@Sorin , just to make sure all is captured in addition to what @rafale77 is doing, I had previously reported to @edward (shy, perhaps, but rock star to us)… quoting from that thread.

"Basically, all you need to do is deny Internet access to the Vera (Plus running 7.30 Beta) somehow and wait. I do it by a firewall deny rule (so the physical port stays connected and local access remains). Basically we are simulating a long-term loss of Internet/outside-world access. At about the one hour mark, the system seems to take some step to try to recover, but it ends up in “Christmas Lights” mode (blinking Internet and Service lights) with no IP address or SSH access.

"Interestingly, if you leave it in this state, it will sometimes recover within 30 minutes or so, sometimes not. When it does, a short time after, usually with 5 or so minutes, it goes down again, and then does not recover–it stays in Christmas Lights mode until power cycled.

Edit: And Happy Thanksgiving to all. I am thankful for your fellowship, and humor. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I would not worry about this, as I said it’s my personal point of view. The open platform idea can be and most likely will be kept and addressed through a better platform, API and code review, among other ways. I’ve seen many ways a non-experienced but curious user can mess with Vera’s file system, during my time with the support team.

I’m neighboring Bram’s, Count Dracula :vampire:

This is how they’ve found a possible issue with file download on slower connections and addressed it server side. Don’t know the details. Thanks.

1 Like

There are so many things I could say :wink:

Have a great evening!
C

Would a “Lounge” board be something you’d be interested in?

Meh. Not massively. I partake of two other forums on and unhealthily regular basis. Only one I read the lounge, and that’s much because I know some of the people IRL and partly the way that forum rolls.

My view is there’s no ‘passion’ here. Investment, commitment, frustration and many other things, but none of us (my opinion) are here for the love of Vera.

Maybe :wink:

C

Most of us are not doing anything special with our Vera Plus, I have about 6 plugins and that’s it, no AltUI etc.

I’m not sure if ‘most’ is correct but have no data to support it one way or another.

You sound like the perfect customer for an Atom :wink:

C

:laughing:

I was kind of serious :slight_smile:
C

The Atom is too simple for me, I like things I can tinker with if I want to. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What about Vera Secure?
I have to turn off (manually, because i can’t connect with ssh) my controller 3 or more times a day because of xmas light mode.
Cloud connect also unreliable, i could see “there was a problem with the connection to the controller. Please check the internet connection and cables.” error for several times in a row.

1 Like

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand you are correct that in some specific cases are caused by ignorant file modifications but on the other hand, the mods are caused by QA failures and the openness is what saved the vera. So if I may suggest… implement a much release process realizing that there is only so much you can do with your own QA and work with your beta community, following alpha/beta phase for every build to be released. This would lead to a reduction of these rogue modifications. For me, and I am sure a large number of others, we would not be here anymore if it wasn’t for this openness of the platform because the system would simply not be working and we would not be able to do anything to fix it. I don’t think I need to list the number of mods and edits I made to enhance my vera experience… The problems we are reporting are on very simple test setups… Not related to what you are referring to.

1 Like

A mixed day today. A whole load of modules arrived. Some of which I knew had been associated before, so I was expecting things to be less than plain sailing.
They were, but when I got the hang of factory resets it was full steam ahead.

Up until 10 minutes ago I had managed to successfully add:
4 sockets
1 socket dimmer
4 motion detectors
2 door sensors
1 Multisensor
And a keyfob.
Had.

Can you see where this is going?

On the last restart, wiped everything back to a yesterday at some point. No idea why it picked that.
Fortunately I had an automatic backup to get me back to 0730 this morning, and of course adding is easier second time, but WTAF?

C

1 Like

Do you know if it restored you to a non extrooted backup (meaning if it loaded the user file from your onboard drive instead of your external drive)? Did you run a backuptovera script to sync up the two? Do you know if the vera rebooted at some point? (Not just luup reload)

I too included some devices last night and it appears to behave quite normally except for the problem with the sensative strips I posted elsewhere. It used to include successfully. Not anymore.

Nope, I haven’t had a non-exrooted backup for months and months.

I have no idea what backtovera is, so no, didn’t do that :slight_smile:

Uptime is 1:38 but that’s not telling us much as it’s going to have rebooted when I restored :frowning: I don;t think it rebooted, it didn’t take that long, but it did take longer than usual spinning its wheels after the last device added.

I’ve added 3 or 4 of the devices with no issues. Struggling with an Everspring door sensor (which might have been the issue last time as I think its battery is a bit low) but walking away for a few hours having done lots of backups! :slight_smile:

C

Don’t forget to set the wakeup intervals during the initial configurations to what you want from the default and also, after the first 1 or 2 wakeup, to disable wakeup ARR/NNU as it is not done by default either.

backuptovera is a script I posted in the extroot tools to backup your config data onto the onboard flash so that if you happen to boot from it, you will have the same configuration as the extroot drive.

Oohh missed that.

Wakeup intervals in general? I’ve not really messed other than with my SRT as that eats the batteries. Suggestions for wakeup on motion and door sensors?

I’ve used your ARR/NNU (I think) code. Does that need to be re-applied for new devices?

Cheers

C

Wakeup intervals have a big impact on battery life. Depending on the type of device, you may need to adjust it. I set mine to 86400 or 43200 depending on type.

Yes the wakeup arr nnu needs to be set for new devices. It is a per device setting and new devices default to enable.

1 Like

Cheers, that makes sense.
The Fibaro sensor I already has runs for year+ on the CR123 so I’m not overly worried. I guess the AAs in the motion sensors might get a bit more eek as the CR2450s in the door sensors. Maybe.

Cheers!

C

1 Like