UI7 ▾ Vera Software Update ▾ 7.0.30 - Nov 20, 2019

No one reported having that issue on 7.29, not even during the beta.

I can confirm that I even have problems with the edge on 7.30 as I am observing intermittent Xmas light mode upon reboot. I have recovered my 2 plus to virgin 7.29 and they both do not see this problem.

1 Like

i really think extroot is our best option here 7.30 would be good if it was merged with the extroot

@dJOS, As I mentioned in my initial post, this issue I had with 2 separate Vera+ 7.29 hubs losing their configurations following a reboot only occurred AFTER the 7.30 firmware was pulled. The firmware check page is now coming up as the initial page following this 7.30 removal as well.

Since no one else has yet reported this happening, I will write it off as a very strange coincidence. It’s also possible that since customer service was engaged in helping with this issue that they reported it to engineering and fixed something.

I’m being harassed by my VeraEdge to upgrade to 1.7.4832, but based on this lengthy thread I’m going to hold off for a long time. What I’d like to know though, is the mapping between the version number 7.30 everyone is talking about and the number I’m seeing on my unit. Is there some formula I need to use to calculate one from the other?

I will try to get this done in the next couple of days now that I have a couple of vera plus up and running for testing!

2 Likes

So other than the single post from Edward, has anything heard anything from the Vera camp? @melih, @Sorin, any update? It would be nice to hear something… like “We are working on a fix and will push it to everyone on 7.30 as soon as it it reliable…” or “Working on a way to fully downgrade the kernel and firmware back to 7.29…” or even “Sorry we bricked your devices… we are working on a solution to the issues introduced with 7.30”

Silence is not golden in this case. I understand the devs and support folks are heads down working, and I wouldn’t expect them to do any posting (I was surprised Edward found a free min to respond), but it would be nice to hear something from Vera, even if its a non-update update.

3 Likes

Agreed, it’d be nice if they let us know what is going on! I expect to have issues when running beta software, this was supposedly production ready FW!

2 Likes

@jaredrs1 I noticed that as well. I wouldn’t expect, or really want, developers spending their time on that; but not everyone in the company is in development and someone in management or an administrative or sales capacity isn’t devoting all of their time finding a fix. @melih and @Sorin seem to be posting less than usual, when you’d expect in a crisis situation they would be posting more to keep everyone informed. With nothing but silence to go on I ended up ordering a Hubitat and started migrating devices over to it last night. If I’d have known there was going to be a way to downgrade the kernel back to the stable version coming in the next few days I’d have held off on it, but with no communication and the company’s track record of slow development (is IFTTT out of beta yet?) I don’t have much hope that a fix would be coming any time soon.

5 Likes

I am still waiting for Vera to be able to properly configure the Leviton Vizia RF+ 4 Button Zone Controller, VRCZ4-M0Z. Three or four years now…still waiting and wanting!

Can’t help but agree (cautiously) :wink: about the radio silence.

In (some?) defence, it is Thanksgiving week in the US for my fellow forum dwellers who may not be aware…

C

Or could have something to do with the situation in Hong Kong? Not sure if Vera is run/located there. I see on the current website the address is in US now, but I swear I have seen a Hong Kong address there before:

:rofl: A Letter From The CEO for Vera Community | Vera Shop - Vera by Ezlo :joy:

Pretty sure they’re US but…

:wink:

Just found this:

Ezlo is headquartered in Clifton, New Jersey, with offices in Ukraine, Romania, and Colombia.

C

My Vera Secure lost internet for only 10 minutes. Had to power it off completely to get it to work again using Ethernet connection.
This is the fourth time I’ve had to power off in three days. My house has fantastic internet, so I feel very badly for others. Before this update, I never had to force a power off (internal battery backup).

I will never install another firmware until a month goes by since the devs would allow something so obviously messed up to be released. I’m an industrial controls engineer and would get fired for sloppy work like this.

I’d also like to know why a fix has not been issued already to resolve this???
Incredibly frustrated.

1 Like

Ummm, might be thanksgiving but they’ve certainly served up a turkey!

Happy Thanksgiving to our friends over the pond.

Just to cut the radio silence I’m gonna try to respond to a couple of concerns.
On the firmware front, ONLY VeraPluses have been affected by this!

If anyone else had issues with other controllers they were various other cases, mostly storage management(as a general rule of thumb I would recommend: 1. make a backup, 2. wipe controller, 3. upgrade, 4. restore backup.).

I know that the guys have covered up 1-2 use cases that were part of the main issue and they trying to wrap this up. Expect a more technical explanation from my shy colleague @edward. Hoping for a patched up version, next week.

??

True.

Couldn’t the update script handle the “wipe and restore” part? Or at least have a check for storage space before starting?

Happy Thanksgiving Sorin! And thank you for the update.

I too have been working up some testing with the three units I have and I want to say that I am concerned about what @edward is reporting around the fact that what he is saying does not match with the user experience and emphasize even more the need for your team to strictly release firmware builds which have been beta tested without any more untested commits. Your QA alone is insufficient to validate.

Two things I have validated so far:

1. On the Vera Plus, all problems seem to be coming from the kernel upgrade. I don’t know if it is due to the kernel getting corrupted during the upgrade or if you have a corrupted kernel image which you have publically released. We saw the xmas light mode during the beta 4800 and is a critical defect.
  2. This kernel is also preventing extroot on my two units even though @edward doesn’t seem to have reproduced it. It reinforces again my statement that what works in your QA does not work for the public and for the beta testers. I also saw this during the beta.

I was able to eliminate these two problems by manually upgrading my units to 4833 squashfs without a kernel upgrade.

3 Likes

It is doing some checks about the storage as far as I know but I don’t know the technicalities behind the process and I’m not sure how safe it is to do this automatically giving a nand’s limited cycle.

If you ask me, militating for an “open platform” with everyone having access to uploading/editing/deleting files unconditionally is Vera’s Achille’s heel and causing many corner case issues, even a QA army would not cover. (my personal pov)

@rafale77 -Thank you for your work, helpful as always, the QA team is eyes and years on your posts.

Curious! I thought you were over the pond as well :slight_smile:
C