UI8 new interface, do you like it? please give us your feedback

[quote=“aPL, post:16, topic:199682”]Reverb is an app that lets you issue Alexa commands from your phone. It doesn’t have many features, just simple voice commands. Instead of opening the app, searching for a device, I just tap reverb, say what I want and I’m done. It takes 2-3 seconds depending on the 3g/4g connection. I’d love to see something like that but only for vera for quick access to things…

Regarding UI8

• setting for scaling per user/device
  • custom icons for devices
  • reorder / hide devices in custom categories / zone (for display only)
  • mix devices and scenes and whatever else i want on the same “page” / view
  • order “pages” left to right so i can swipe between them
  • quick access to commands via swiping up/down starting from an icon (for example tap and hold then swipe up on dimmer shows a percentage and by going up you increase the light level)[/quote]

We had voice commands on the beta version of the iOS app and it’s somethings that we are working on. We don’t know yet what’s going to happen but we are preparing for lots of ways to interact, automate or control a smart home.

• Scaling for tiles on the system is already defined in UI8
  • My Places - the pages of the dashboard where you’ll be able to put whatever you want… up to 10 places
  • Hide irrelevant devices any time
  • Custom icons - a huge predefined list for now, plenty to choose from
  • Modern device controls on the device control panel

We’re aligned :slight_smile:

[quote=“kellerman, post:32, topic:199682”]Well it sure looks promising!

For me an important feature is the ability to design my own dashboard so that I can add the device/scene/group or whatever there that I use the most.
I’ve tried the ImperiHome app which has that ability…but their UI is otherwise not that impressive.[/quote]

Be prepared for something better :slight_smile:

[quote=“reneboer, post:38, topic:199682”]Hi,

One thing I saw on an other HA app. A notification with a button or buttons. This way you can directly start a defined action, or not, on a notification.

E.g.: at 23:00 Get the notification; “The garage door is unlocked. Lock it now?” With Yes/No buttons. Yes would trigger a scene or direct command.

Cheers Rene[/quote]

Interactive push notifications. Noted and added to the input list. Keep them coming.

I like it and hope for a better Android app. Something like where I can define pages/dashboards and share them between devices.

Also being able to lock an action unless a pin or fingerprint is used is one of the main reasons I am using Imperihome.

You asked for it :wink:

Have plugin icons work local as well as remote.

In the web interface have simpler access to the log file, especially remote.

For all LUA code editing function use the nice way ATTUI does it. Syntax highlighting helps showing typo’s before you hit save, need to wait for areload and then dig into the log file to only see that annoying comma missing.

Cheers Rene

Mabye there could be a second access layer beside the pretty GUI? (just thinking of the Web GUI, not mobile)

I’m thinking a menu system with the same information as the other, but with more background available (logs, setup) in a format that is focused on the setup of i.e. sensors, scenes with scripts, special connections (home made IP stuff), etc…

I’m thinking one GUI where you decide whats important to show (like iOS), and another more focused on developers/advanced users (like android?). :slight_smile: Ideally, you don’t need to access the more advanced layer unless you really want to dig in and learn how this stuff works.

Quite!

Keep the input flowing… all good.

Will post a quick update/recap later today.

Good to hear from you too Colin!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quick view of all devices that are on.
Similar to what Veramate had on its app.

Was handy to click the icon and see which of my devices were on/running.

Where can I find the UI8 preview please?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

First post on this thread?

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,103076.msg412963.html#msg412963

Thanks, it finally popped up for me. [quote=“akbooer”]First post on this thread?

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,103076.msg412963.html#msg412963[/quote]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

What I really, really would like to have is a way to make automation with conditions easier and inside the UI8, not via plugins… But in a visually understandable manner.

Any sense on timing for something like this?

One thing i’m struggling with right now:

All changes (almost) to the setup calls for a luup reload, and this takes a lot of time when you’re changing a lot. Don’t quite know the best way to do this, but if there was an EDIT/APPLY button, you could press edit, enter your changes to the config, and then press apply to reload luup.

There is offcourse som depenencies that can be challenging here, but the idea of making multiple changes without waiting for a reload for every one is appealing. :slight_smile:

Yes certainly agree. If I want to move 5 devices to other rooms that’s 5 reloads.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Z-Wave Automation Bridge will i have to purchase this in order to get my integrated Google Home and Apple Home Kit or will it be integrated into UI8 , and will there be a garantee that wi will “always work” and not go like HAbridge

Nice that UI8 is prettier but not that vital. Please don’t be distracted by trying to make a pretty UI. Focus on making it a good backend admin interface. So, easier device setup, scene creation etc. Plus lack of needing reboots/reloads for each change. Don’t be distracted by creating voice input for users either. Alexa and Google Home handle that. For real end-user interface (e.g. Wife-Friendly), unless you can easily beat Imperihome (as an example), don’t waste your effort.

Glad to hear you are accelerating delivery of change. But focus on the things that matter. Maybe Vera will finally become everything it so nearly has achieved, but away from which for too long it has frustratingly remained. And before it’s user base finally loses hope (as many have). Listen to your very expert members of the ecosystem… akboer etc… Bring them inside the tent. So many are willing to help

a few things to add would be:

1. A connecting screen so that I know the vera is connected and updated all device states before I start inputting commands. I always find myself trying to turn a device on or off but I have not connected to vera yet.
  2. A better, cleaner way to deal with rooms, if you have a lot of rooms and a lot of devices the favourites page can get very long and confusing. Maybe a separate page for each room with a configurable icon pic for the room would be nice and clean.
  3. I know this one is super specific but for my harmony hub controlling separate devices in the app is pretty cumbersome because each command is a little button. So if I want to input channel number 1600 I have to swipe to get to each number. A universal remote UI would be nice where it would be bigger and have everything more logically laid out. Ie: Instead of having buttons for direction up,down…etc. there would be a directional pad instead. For numbers, all the numbers would be displayed on one screen. Something like what harmony has done for its native app (screenshots attached).

I am very excited for the new looking UI as the current one is pretty drab and messy. I didn’t touch on stability because almost every post has been about that, I am assuming that is being worked on as well.

I would like to have the option to change the behaviour of an on/off switch to a pulse switch. Soif pressed and during the press it is closed (or opened if NC) and vice versa.

And next to that a virtual switch which is the master over a normal on/off switch with the above behaviour.

Optionallya co.fgursble timer to set the pulse (eg. 1sec or 5 sec pulse (on or off)

Thank you.