Upgrade Firmware of Dragontech Dimmer switch

Hello all,
I’ve been conversing with an engineer at DragonTech about my dimmer switches and he is able to get me firmware that somehow can load on to the wall switches that would improve their scene control. Of course he doesn’t support the actual loading of the firmware so i need to figure out how to do that myself. The engineer says i need a hub that supports loading firmware or a PC controller.

Does the Vera have any function to send new firmware to a device? How?

No, Vera doesn’t do this currently. If you really need to update your Dragons would be to get Homeseer, I am hoping they will let you do this with the free trial install, you would need a PC, a z-stick (about $50 on amazon), and then download the Homeseer trial. One of the other free controller software is Domocitz but I am not sure if it supports over the air Firmware update, but since it is free, doesn’t cost anything to check it out. The only expense you end up with is the z-stick.

But the real question is why what is wrong with your Dragons?.. Vera barely supports the Dragon (or the rebranded Homeseer) dimmer, will updating the firmware solve your issues?

They added new features:

•      Added command class: "Scene actuator configuration" and "Scene activation"

•      Supports double and triple tapping for Central Scene

•      Send the message during reset locally to 5 nodes in the Group 1 for lifeline

I’d like to set up double and triple taps to control a scene…

It is doubtful that even with the firmware update on the dragons, you will get those features on the Vera, Vera needs to implement the command classes to support those features. It may work… but it probably won’t. You would essentially be updating your dragons to the same firmware that is on the Homeseer HS-WD100+ dimmer, and double and triple tap on those dimmers don’t currently work with Vera. The homeseer HS-WD100+ are Dragon dimmers that have been rebranded and flash with the homeseer firmware.

I would check the forums here and wait until someone confirms that the HS-WD100 double/triple tap works on Vera before spending time/money trying to update your firmware on your dimmers.

Good idea and thanks for the advice.

Since you sound very knowledgeable on these dragon dimmers, I’m going to hijack my own thread and ask a new question…

Would you know of any parameters on them i could change that would reduce the power on delay when using these dimmers with LED bulbs? The delay i experience is fine fro me but for unknowledgeable guests, it is very confusing. I end up giving guests a LED bulb mini-seminar every time :frowning:

Hmm, just doing a quick search for HS-WS100 show that folks see similar delays when using these on SmartThings as well, so I am doing to assume it is a “feature” that you get that delay and not adjustable :slight_smile: Theory is that switch has a slight delay built in to wait to see if you are double or triple tapping before turning on the load, and when you add that to the delay that LEDs naturaly have when powered on, well you are getting a slightly longer delay then normal. Some LEDs are faster to respond then others so you might look at your LED brand to see if you can get a little more speed to on.

I use to have 3 big LED floods in my garage, and one always came on like 1-2 seconds after the other two and use to drive me crazy, swtiched the offending led to the same brand as the other two and the issue went away.

I wrote to Vera support in May 2016:

Hi, I am looking at the new Homeseer branded z-wave wall switches which support instant status and scene activation using double-tap, triple-tap and press & hold:

The review linked above says:

IMPORTANT: HS-WD100+ and HS-WS100 provide instant status feedback and double-tap, triple-tap, press & hold functionality using the Z-Wave “central scene” command class. The feature is supported by all HomeSeer systems, including HS3 software and HomeTroller controllers. If you’re using another brand of controller, be sure to check with that manufacturer to see if the central scene features are supported.”

So my question is, will instant status and scene activation using double-tap, triple-tap and press & hold functions of those Homeseer switches work on my Vera Plus?

Vera support response:

Our developers are working on adding support for the central scene command class. I don?t have an ETA on when it will be available, however this will be announced on our software update release notes page : http://support.getvera.com/customer/portal/topics/666697-release-notes/articles

Thank you.

actron air conditioner

You will probably have to run new wires for the dimmer to work with only the light incandescent only. Most ceiling fans have a separate switch for lights and fan speed. This might be a difficult project for someone unless they know electrical work.

If you still have the firmware for the dragontech switches, I would appreciate it if you would provide a link or send it to me. I have several of these switches and I haven’t been able to find the updated firmware (my WD100+ switches are on v5.14 & my WS100+ switches are on v5.15).

FYI - If you are still looking for a solution to update the firmware, you can install an old trial version of HS3 and update the firmware for free (provided you have access to a Z-wave USB controller). The current version of HS3 no longer has the firmware updating capability as they want you to purchase their Z-flash utility.

Sorry to be late to this party. Do you have the firmware files for the dragontech switches/dimmers?

In the link below, I have firmware 5.14 and the software I used to update my WD-100 Dragon Tech dimmers. I received the firmware directly from Dragon Tech.

Thanks for providing the firmware for the dimmmers…does anyone have the Ws100 firmware> I would like to upgrade my regular switches and can’t find it anywhere…

+1 for the WS100 firmware or another firmware beyond 5.14 if anyone has it.