Upgrading Two Vera3 to Two VeraPlus

I added back to door/window sensors that had failed in the transition and been removed a few days ago; the mailbox and the front door bell.

Both were added to the system sitting immediately adjacent to the VeraPlus, and both configured right off the bat. The mailbox sensor is installed about 75 feet from the Vera in the street-side mailbox, the door bell sensor in the chime about 14 inches from the VeraPlus. Neither pass the Stress Test yet the mailbox sensor works flawlessly from 75 feet whereas the door bell sensor does not work from 14 inches. Go figure.

I have come to the conclusion from my own experiences and reading the forum that many of the things I’m seeing are chimeras, created by UI7.

I have cases, many intermittent, of devices showing “Can’t detect device” when in fact they are working properly. Tech Support confirms this is a UI bug

I often find that a device will not respond to the Poll or the Stress Test and yet is working fine. I found this the other day with a sensor in the streetside mailbox about 75 feet from Vera. It worked fine and responded to poll and stress when first re-installed. A few hours later it wouldn’t respond and yet when the mail was delivered it tripped exactly as intended.

The Smoke Detectors many of which reflected “Can’t detect device” or “Waiting for wakeup…” all cleared with no action on my part and are working fine. I have code running in PLEG to check the “LastWakeup” and if a smoke detector missed two wakeup cycles it flags it as down. So far every device is waking fine on the expected time as reflected in the Device Properties in PLEG.

I still have questions about the Power Fail Sensor and the Front Door Bell Sensor but they are not urgent items.

Like many people I think UI7 is far from the ideal. Its a bit distressing to find that it has been in the field this long and is still in such a poor state. I’m hard pressed to see what it does for anyone that could not have been backed into UI5. ZWave+ could certainly have been retrofitted to UI5.

The radically reduced device name length in UI7 is a pain.

I’m continue to get some random Restarts which I understand may be related to 1.7.2044.

The VeraPlus is a big performance gain on Vera3. Both my Vera3 units were running 95+ % Memory and 15-30% CPU. VeraPlus has brought that down to 60% Memory and 2-7% CPU. Everything works more crisply, walk into a motion detected room and the lights are on instantly. Open a detected door and the lights are on before the door is fully open.

Kudos also to the Plug In developers. The new PLEG/VeraAlerts Editor is a delight to use. All the other Plug Ins I use are working fine with the minor exception of not being able to change the button names.

Since they weren’t working anyway in 1.7.2044, I removed almost all my Notifications (except for things like device battery level messages, etc.,) and implemented them all in PLEG Logic Actions to SendAlert via VeraAlerts per Richard Schaefer. Its much more flexible and can actually be easily edited, unlike the Notifications that have to be deleted and reentered.

I hate the fact that they put the LEDs on the top of the VeraPlus. I have mine sitting on top of a tall bookcase in the Family Room, which is just about the central point of the house. The Vera3 sat one on top of the other and the LEDs were easily visible so it was quick to see if there was a operational problem. I’m looking into a way to mount the VeraPlus units standing on their fronts, side-by-side so the LEDs are visible.

Once I get these two VeraPlus units settled down I’m going to replace the VeraLite that runs the BlueIris Camera PlugIn with one of the now-unused Vera3 units. Should make that a bit crisper and hopefully it will track the cameras more closely.

Simple Redneck DIY solution to the LED problem. Glue some aluminum foil (shiny side out) on a pie of cardboard and tape that on top of the Plus at a 45 degree angle(eg fold cardboard supports). That should allow you to see the LED’s easily. A small strip of mirror glass or stainless steel would also do the trick.

What no Alabama Chrome :slight_smile:

Actually this is about a third Vera upgrade to UI7 :slight_smile:

I’m trying to convert on of my old Vera 3 to UI7 to support the Blue Iris Plug In and replace a VeraLite UI5 unit currently doing that service

I successfully converted the Vera3 to I7 (1.7.830) but much to my dismay the plug in does not work well at all. I finally figured out where to place the various parameters and got the correct image once. After a few seconds I got “Failed to receive image from the camera” followed by a warning to change my camera password. Yet a few more seconds and it reverts to the INDEX composite image from Blue Iris. A check of the Advanced Parameters and it shows that the URL has been replaced by the INDEX rather than the specific Blue Iris camera selection.

That’s an issue with the browser refresh of certain pages where it seems Vera uses the cached page instead of the fresh one. RStrouse brought this up a while back. It seems to work better for me in Firefox than it does in IE.

This was in Firefox :slight_smile: I’ve found that using Microsoft Edge with Vera is a waste of time, effort, and sanity so I use Firefox for just about everything, life is too short to spend time with Edge :slight_smile:

I ended up going back to UI5 on the vera3 and restored from a today backup of the VeraLite and everything is working fine. Memory utilization is about 60% and CPU 2-10%.

I’m just going to leave it this way for now.

The two VeraPlus UI7 units seem to be settling down too :slight_smile:

I think I can finally close out the “Saga of Upgrading Two Vera3 to Two VeraPlus.”

Both systems are running and appear to be running as well as they can on 1.7.2044. I await another opportunity when Vera release a newer version :slight_smile:

I still have problems, unanswered, on the MultiSwitch Plug-In. I upgraded to the current release, 1.7, and added another MS. The new one displays in a familiar format, 2 rows of 4 buttons, but for some reason the existing switches retained their old display format, 1 row of 5 and 1 row of 3, and their inability to change button labels. Other than that :slight_smile:

More frustrations with UI7

Today one of my Fibaro Motion sensors suddenly decided to stop reporting the temperature. Its been working fine for over a year across both UI5 and the UI7 conversion.

And also today the temperature portion of a Fibaro Door/Window Sensor stopped reporting and the sensor suddenly shows tripped all the time.

Does anyone here have a working vera3? I need help.