URGENT HELP ! OH **** PLEG just died

I don’t think so its not on Github anyways.

I would assume this is HIGHLY impacting for Vera?

Shit happens, but this hasn’t happened very often at all for PLEG.

PLEG is a 3rd party logic engine, the developer sends new plugin files to MIOS to be published and then MIOS publish them.

There was some issue with the new plugin version and as most of us probably had auto update turned on, the PLEG apps they updated on the 28th of October.

I’ve never had problems with restoring Vera backups myself, so not a problem for me to do it and others here have done the same also.

So unless someone knows of an online repo for the older versions of the plugin files?

Or someone with a working system that didn’t have auto update enabled and they post the plugin files for you.

Or you do the restore

Or you just have to wait for the fix to be published.

That’s what I have asked already a few times. Any idea? Hours, days, weeks, months? Based on this I can make a plan.

How long is a piece of string ?

Richard will likely do a quick fix and if Vera drag their heels any to get it publish I’ll make sure they don’t.

So days probably.

It might be possible to install older versions of PLEG reading this post.

But we’d need to know the correct numbers for the versions

I think that’s a bit alarmist. A lot of people use PLEG, but a lot of people don’t. Tools like PLEG and Reactor are generally used by a minority of users that have need for special automations beyond the capability of native Vera scenes. That’s also an audience that’s (generally) accustomed to occasional bumps in the road. Yes, it noticeable when it happens, but it’s not a worldwide blackout Armageddon event. While it may seem here like a huge number of people do this stuff, remember that even these forums represent a small portion of the entire base of installed Vera customers.

Others have pointed out that Richard is working on the problem, and he’s a stand-up developer with a long history and a solid track record. Accidents happen, and I can tell you that the process developers go through to release plugins is fraught with peril and traps as a result of some poor design choices on Vera’s part, and it takes a lot of diligence to not have accidents like this. Everybody gets bitten by it sooner or later. One in a few years is nothing. As others have said, everybody chill.

If you need to restore a cloud backup from before the update, make sure you’re logged in via home.getvera.com and the daily backups should be listed. Those of you not seeing the automatic daily backups are probably not logged in to the cloud portal, and that’s necessary. Also, if you’re not doing your own backups regularly, this is a good time to start a new, good habit.

Richard’s plugins are generally encrypted and he does not publish the code. This is pretty rare in the ecosystem, but it’s his choice. He charges money for his work, so it’s a pretty clear and supportable choice as well, IMO.

Since the plugin in encrypted very likely using a key unique to the system on which it being installed, this would not likely work. Aside from this, freely passing around other people’s copyrighted work products also should not be casually encouraged.

2 Likes

Yeah good point I forgot we all purchased PLEG.

It seems like you are defending. I am not attacking or blaming, just asking “when” a fix can be expected.

As long as there are no numbers given, no one (also not you rigpapa) can’t tell the impact. And yes, also not me. But since PLEG is out there a long time and in the old day (old forum) LOT of people used it and → fire and forget… such an event like this may well result in a noticeable outage.

I’d also like to understand expected leadtime to a fix before I start reloading backups, the last one I have is from March. :frowning: Thanks

Do you not have any automatic cloud backups listed ?

That, of course, is up to Richard and to a great extent, Vera. The usual process for releasing plugins is that Vera reviews them once weekly. My experience is that if you have your work submitted for approval Sunday night (US Eastern), they are generally approved the next morning. It seems that the guideline is that someone in Romania approves them first thing Monday morning each week. That said, of late, that schedule has been pretty shaky, and they often miss it and it has been necessary to email them a reminder/request. That may explain why this popped up yesterday, even though the plugin updates were apparently submitted on 10/23. Normally, everyone would be freaking out on Monday, but I guess there was an approval delay this week.

When an accident like this happens, you generally have to ask Vera to do a special review/approval if you can’t wait for the next approval cycle. I’ve had to do that a handful of times over the years, and @Sorin has been monumentally helpful and agreeable with those requests, although it can be a day or two (I think mostly the time difference causes some drag on both communications and process).

Log in to home.getvera.com, then go back to the backup tab. You’ll probably have one of the automatic cloud backups from the day before the update posted that you can restore.

1 Like

I didn’t know about automatic backups, thank you. I’ll try to reload one.

@rigpapa

Any idea on finding the version numbers of the plugins ?

Seems you can download them:

Tag @Sorin again, the more, the better?

You can, and that works great, but you have to know that magic version number. If @RichardTSchaefer could publish it here with a full request URL, that would probably help a lot of people.

Richard: by the way, that same Luup request can be used to test plugin installs (it will let you supply a version number for an unapproved version). The version number can be found by examining the PK_Version parameter of the URL of the page opened when you click on “Show files” for the release in the “Versions” tab on apps.mios.com.

I have reloaded a couple of days old autocreated backup, turned off auto update for PLEG, looks good. Now I am much more calm, thanks a lot. I’ll follow this thread to see when a fix is available. Thank you all for your help.

1 Like

Hmmm… wait a minute… for anyone who has successfully reverted their system to 8.x, you have the release version magic number necessary to generate a URL to help others more easily revert as well. It’s a bit technical, so this would best be done by someone who’s comfortable doing Luup requests by hand.

Request this URL in your browser:

http://your-vera-ip:3480/data_request?id=user_data&ns=1&output_format=xml

Then use the in-page search feature of your browser to find the keyword “InstalledPlugins”. You should find a list with several entries. The ones you are looking for will have id="3086" and id="3066" and id="3018". From those entries, grab the value in the Version="xxx" attribute. PM me those, and I will verify them and post the URLs needed to downgrade.

Everyone let’s give Richard the space to work on a fix. He’s already figured it out and Vera have to approve it.

I trust he will look after the people who’ve invested in PLEG. We just need to be a bit patient even though our stuff doesn’t work.

1 Like

Who’s not giving space in this topic? Asking for an ETA isn’t equal to not giving space?