Vera Alerts Android app May 2019 updates broken

Richard, do you plan to resolve the issues so many of us are having???

I have all the same problems you guys have described. Vera Alerts is version 7.13.

Have a Huawei phone with Android 9.

I contacted Richard via email. He had no idea this many people were having an issue. I will send a link to this thread to him. Hopefully he will assist soon!

I do not know of ANY problems. There are changes in behavior.
The OLD 6. x versions of the APP are not available … Google was supposed to shutdown GCM at the end of June. Version 7.x was me moving to Firebase messaging and newer Google development kit.

TTS is NOT a notification from the android perspective … so muting notifications does NOT disable Vera Alerts TTS notifications. Apparently muting the phone does NOT mute the meda channel.
TTS is presented on the MEDIA channel (See Volumes panel)

Vera Alerts does have quite time and will mute it’s use of TTS.

The multiple notifications and various sounds are caused by the changes to android notification channels for Android 8 and Android 9. Every time Vera alerts has a background task it signals the “Default” notification channel. This is require by new Android versions so a user knows when background tasks are running … but it’s in it’s own notification channel so you the user can turn this off.
You NEED to see and make changes to the “Notifications” tab.

I will look to see if I can get an event when the phone is muted and then mute the TTS. I might also se if I can move the TTS to the notification channel.

4 Likes

Hi Richard, great to hear from you!

Sigh,
Android 9, newer Samsung phones, new notification channels, attempted battery optimizations, etc have played heck with many of my apps running in the background.

Live long & prosper
Chris
C

Keeping the dream alive

Not sure if Richard monitors this thread or not? I’m still having all the same issues as I haven’t seen an update to the current app? Any news that perhaps I have not noticed?

Still broken for me as well. Anyone figure out why this app doesn’t work like it used to?

Any progress on this Richard?