Vera and an ISY994i

Ok, this helps, thanks.

Am I correct in assuming that the method of calling that scene from the KPL button in the Vera is to use the “Add trigger” tab in Automation (UI5), selecting the device created by the ISY plugin, and then using a “scene number” corresponding with the desired button?

I haven’t tried any of this, so I am just guessing. But yes, choose the “ SC” then either “A scene is activated” or “A scene is de-activated”, name it, and enter 1-8 corresponding to a KPL button number. (Remember an 8 button is 1-8, and a 6 button is 1,3, 4, 5, 6)

However, I would question why you would want to call an Insteon scene from Vera when initiated by a KPL. But here goes some ways to do it?..

It depends on your setup.

Case A) If you have the KPL button setup as a Controller for an Insteon scene or kicking off an ISY program, Vera need not be involved for Insteon devices. If you want to use that KPL button to alter Z-Wave devices within Vera, you would use the KPL activation as a trigger, and set the Z-Wave devices as you want. Ignore any Insteon.

Case B) If you do not have the KPL button setup as a Controller for an Insteon scene or ISY program initiator, Vera could handle it all. You can have the scene set the Z-Wave devices as you want. Then you can also have Vera set the Insteon devices as you want, or you could have Vera call an Insteon scene that you already defined in the ISY.

Clear as mud right? It’s flexible to the point of being too flexible! The reason I would use Case A over B is less network traffic and ease of use. Insteon/ISY will nicely handle the Insteon side of things. And let Vera handle the Z-Wave side. This cuts down on Insteon traffic, IP traffic, etc.

Funny, tested it before reading this and used 2 as the random button on my 6 button KPL dimmer. Will try again with 3.

As far as the basis for calling the scene from the Insteon that involves the both the Vera and ISY, there’s two scenarios in mind:

1. Living Room: Activate Sonos along with lighting as part of a scene triggered by KPL. As far as I know, Insteon does not have (simple or robust) Sonos integration as yet.

2. Living Room: Activate a Philips Hue device (Living Colors) along with Insteon devices.

3. There will be more.

Edit: That worked; I have the Vera responding to KPL button presses. Thanks again. Another shipment of Insteon devices on the way.

[quote=“Ds514, post:43, topic:177592”]Funny, tested it before reading this and used 2 as the random button on my 6 button KPL dimmer. Will try again with 3.

As far as the basis for calling the scene from the Insteon that involves the both the Vera and ISY, there’s two scenarios in mind:

1. Living Room: Activate Sonos along with lighting as part of a scene triggered by KPL. As far as I know, Insteon does not have (simple or robust) Sonos integration as yet.

2. Living Room: Activate a Philips Hue device (Living Colors) along with Insteon devices.

3. There will be more.

Edit: That worked; I have the Vera responding to KPL button presses. Thanks again. Another shipment of Insteon devices on the way.[/quote]

This would only be wise if you wanted to manage the action of the kpl button on one controller. But it would be better to have the kpl button issue the isy scene on the isy side and the actions for vera on the vera side. This would require setting up the action for the kpl button on both controllers, but you are already configuring the scene on both anyway.

• Garrett

PurdueGuy,

I granted you access to the git repository. You can now commit. I merged your changes to the code and made some additional changes as well.

Merged the zwave code.
Merged the iolinc code.
Changed the zwave dimmer child creation to use the dimmer device and not the binary device.
Added code for the family tag for use in distinguishing between z-wave and insteon devices.
Other minor bug fixes and code cleanup.

• Garrett

Ok, I will begin experimenting with calls to scenes on the ISY via the PLEG approach.

As it is, this is working quite seamlessly. I am able to activate existing Vera scenes incorporating devices on multiple networks via the KPL. The KPL button lights up when the scene is called. I can then program an “off” scene that is activated along with the KPL button turning off. This really is a best of both worlds scenario, though, as - on the same KPL - I can create native Insteon scenes (whereby the devices interact without any controller involvement), mixed with ISY scenes (and I imagine programs), mixed with Vera scenes.

I have a few motion sensors on the way, and will report on how the plugin treats these. An on/off plug in module is also on the way, but given that the dimmer equivalents function correctly, I do not foresee any issue there.

Motion sensors are not supported yet. I do not own any and so I do not know what the device data looks like. PurdueGuy only added support for the IOLinc. I have no problem adding support for motion sensors, I just need access to the device data.

• Garrett

I picked up a motion sensor as part of the Black Friday sale. If I can get time tonight to link it, I can check out the node info.

I only picked up one because of the stories I read about battery life. My Z-Wave motion sensors have lasted a surprisingly long time, but they are by no means perfect. Depending on how the Insteon sensors work, I might have to figure out just how bad I want to crawl around in the attic to run motion detector wires? 18" of insulation with a low roofline makes it tough.

[quote=“PurdueGuy, post:11, topic:177592”]The ISY works much better if it is left in charge of all links in the system. When you add a new device to the ISY, it asks if you want to:

[ol][li]Remove Existing Links[/li]
[li]Add devices found in links and remove existing links[/li]
[li]Add Devices Found in Links and keep existing links [/li][/ol]

It is recommended that you choose option 1, which will clear any links you created in the device. If you choose 2 or 3, your previous links will still work, but you will end up with all kinds of random scenes in the ISY, which aren’t named and are tough to figure out/use.[/quote]

Wish I had followed your advice. Trying to be cautious, I also started with option 3. Once I had everything running the way I liked, I figured it was time to pull the plug on Vera’s native Insteon. As soon as I did that, perhaps because many of the links in the ISY originated in links found in the Vera’s PLM, the entire Insteon network crashed. Deleting all the earlier links and starting over did not work, as the ISY’s PLM was no longer responding and/or accepting new links. After much ado, and a series of factory resets, things are going again. Yikes.

BTW: Anyone know a way to make Vera stop giving the No Insteon error?

Are you guys going to move completely to ISY? I’m getting tired of trying to get Vera to work for my complex scenes… Even with PLEG stuff does not work properly and troubleshooting it is nearly impossible.

I ask because I rely on Authomation alone, and with Tasker. These are invaluable for my setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

It looks like Jacob has moved to an ISY-centric configuration. I am not sure what Garrett is doing, but I suspect he is remaining Vera-centric. I, myself, am remaining Vera-centric. The reasons - for me - are that (1) the Insteon mobile applications do not serve my needs, (2) my environment has too many technologies (e.g., in no particular order, Z-wave, Insteon, Zigbee, Sonos, Squeezebox, Nest) that the Vera integrates well (much better now thanks to this plugin), and (3) the strength of the Vera community.

I am finding that this plugin permits a lot of versatility (perhaps Altsteon does as well, but I didn’t get into it).

I am looking to move to ISY for most control (scene controllers, KPLs, etc). The ISY (to me) has better logic controls (conditional logic-ANDs and ORs).

It also has nicer triggers. For example, it differentiates from:

• a switch being turned on remotely
  • a switch being turned on physically at the switch
  • a switch being turned on “fast” physically at the switch (double tap)

For most zwave switches, Vera just knows if they were turned on (physically or remotely). That makes programing harder.

ISY can handle more things natively. I don’t need plugins for Vacation Ghost or Smart Switches. I just use programs with ANDs, random waits, etc.

Vera will also be the go between for bridging mobile apps (HomeWave and AutHomation HD). I prefer those apps for more than the ISY counterparts.

For now, Vera will handle my zwave scene and zone controllers. I haven’t tried adding one to ISY, since it has just technically entered beta.

[quote=“Aaron, post:50, topic:177592”]Are you guys going to move completely to ISY? I’m getting tired of trying to get Vera to work for my complex scenes… Even with PLEG stuff does not work properly and troubleshooting it is nearly impossible.

I ask because I rely on Authomation alone, and with Tasker. These are invaluable for my setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2[/quote]

I have no intention so completely switch over to the ISY. The plugin was developed so that I can use both. Vera for z-wave and plugins, ISY for insteon. Besides, I have too much blood and sweat into AutHomation :).

• Garrett

I got my stuff in from SmartHome, unfortunately they shorted me two KeypadLincs! :frowning: I contacted them via email and hope that they can remedy the issue. I am going to start adding support for the RemoteLincs. I picked one up to use in an area where I can not put a switch in.

• Garrett

Motion sensors are working with the code Garrett checked in earlier.

I just checked in some small changes for Z-Wave dimmers. As it turns out, Leviton dimmers are working for the REST API, just not via the 4.1.1 UI.

I discovered Z-Wave dimmers are in the range 0…100, so I added a little tracking code to determine what family of device it is (Insteon vs Z-Wave), and adjust accordingly.

Glad to see that the motion detectors are working. I added it blindly and was not sure if it would work out of the box or not. I pulled your changes (great work by the way) and merged them with mine. I pushed out a new commit that includes your changes and also added RemoteLinc support. Also added the Family variable to the scene controller devices.

The only little thing with the RemoteLinc device, it will use the name of the first button. For example, the ISY controller creates 4 devices for the 4 button RemoteLinc. Name - A, Name - B, Name - C, Name - D. So in Vera one device will be created (SceneController) that will use the name Name - A. This is only a cosmetic issue.

• Garrett

I just checked in code to allow programs to be run, similar to scenes.
There is a new action for the main device, called “runProgram” - this takes 2 inputs:

[ul][li]program - program id[/li]
[list]
[li]obtainable from http:///rest/programs?subfolders=true[/li]
[li]MUST be 4 digita - leading zeros are required[/li]
[li]field is ASCII-hex, so digits can be 0-9 and A-F[/li]
[/list]
[li]path- must be one of the following[/li]
[list]
[li]run - runs and checks If - runs either “Then” or “Else” branch[/li]
[li]runThen - turns “Then” path explicitly[/li]
[li]runElse - runs “Else” path explicitly[/li]
[/list][/ul]

My example attached runs program is 0032 “If” path. The ISY checks the program “If” statement and determines whether to run the “Then” or “Else” path.

Smarthome had a sale on the ISY994i for $212 w/ PLM, and my PLM died so this means I paid $150 to experiment with the ISY994i…
I look forward to joining you guys in this endeavor in a week or so!

[quote=“Aaron, post:58, topic:177592”]Smarthome had a sale on the ISY994i for $212 w/ PLM, and my PLM died so this means I paid $150 to experiment with the ISY994i…
I look forward to joining you guys in this endeavor in a week or so![/quote]Come on in, the water’s fine! :slight_smile:

I just added a number of Insteon devices. They are all currently configured on the ISY. However, I seem unable to get the new devices to add to the Vera via the plugin. I tried Initialize, Update Names, and Restart. I am reluctant to uninstall and re-install the plugin, but that is a likely solution.

Any thoughts?