Vera and an ISY994i

What devices?

I added a new Z-Wave switch to ISY, and a Vera LUUP restart brought it into Vera.

A dimmer, plugin module, and a couple KPLs. The dimmer has since surfaced in Vera, but the other devices remain MIA.

The most recent effort was to install the latest files from the repository (thanks), and then restart the luup engine.

I haven’t added any new Insteon devices, just Z-Wave. I have more Insteon to add, I’ll see if I can test one out.

Did you by chance reload the Vera webpage? My browser loves to sometimes show new devices with no buttons, or just am empty box, etc. Refreshing it brings it up.

I did reload the browser and also clicked the Reload button in the UI.

I will continue to fiddle. There is no huge rush with this but any insight would be appreciated.

It seems like there may be a few issues with the current build or possibly as a result of adding new devices via the ISY:

1. Not sure if the earlier reported issue with new devices not appearing is part of this.
  2. KPL presses that were earlier triggering Vera scenes are no longer responsive.
  3. Device On buttons in the Vera UI never go fully to On, instead ending with either the Off or both the On and Off buttons highlighted. Pressing Off responds as normal. The devices respond as normal.

I have power cycled the Vera and the ISY without effect.

I am going to uninstall and reinstall the first build and start over.

Update: A Stop/Start may have resolved the On/Off button issue.

The changes that PurdueGuy made should not effect the performance of the plugin, they are pretty minor changes. I would check to make sure that the daemon is running and connected to the ISY. This is most likely your performance issues.

• Garrett

[quote=“garrettwp, post:9, topic:177592”]Sorry for the delay. I have attached the files for my plugin that communicates with the ISY controller. Right now it should work with Relays and Dimmers, and their Keypad linc variants. It will also work with the Fan Linc as well.

Instructions: …[/quote]

Very interesting. Not knowing your work, I’d also written a (much simpler) rest interface from the Vera to the ISY. Probably I should upgrade to your code, but out of curiosity: how do you handle status updates? I keep polling the ISY’s rest interface, which of course is clumsy and adds delay.

The other thing I am surprised by is the (unconditional?) enthusiasm on this track of the ISY programming “language”. Aside from its reliability and the excellent support on the forum from Michel Kohanim - I find the ISY language very difficult to use for anything but simple stuff. For example, my sprinkler controller is very contorted (ok, written before variables were supported, perhaps now it’s easier). By comparison Lua is very expressive (although I never really learned that language).

As an early adopter of ISY and recently getting a Vera (and now resigning to using both but with the Vera in command), it’s interesting to see others go the other way. I guess both devices have shortcomings. E.g. on the Vera I am using Yale locks, Caddx security system, Sonos, and even an interface to my router - not sure any of this would be possible by the ISY. Of course in terms of documentation and polish the Vera is a pretty sad story.

The plugin uses the SOAP API to subscribe to event changes to they are done in realtime.

As far as the programming, check out the variables. They must make it easier.

One of the things I like best about the ISY is the easy program and conditional logic. However, I am a computer engineer, so conditional logic is second nature for me. I also like the fact that a change in status/variable/etc immediately halts execution of a program (at a wait/repeat/etc). In Vera, once a “scene” starts, you can’t stop it. Also, there are no loops in Vera, aside from setting your own variables, tracking them, etc. This eliminates the need for plugins like Vacation Ghost and Smart Switch.

I have the ISY network module, so I run two concurrent connections to an relay server, so both Vera (via the DSC plugin) and my ISY (via the DSCLink) can both immediately get notifications of DSC panel changes. I also have the ISY commanding my SQBlaster directly. The ISY also commands my Foscam cameras as needed (alerts, privacy modes, etc).

Also, ISY now has beta Z-Wave support, so I have moved my Kwikset locks to it. I did lose the ability for codes and scheduling, but that is on the agenda to be added.

But I will reiterate, the Vera mobile apps win very easily. That’s why I keep Vera in the loop.

[quote=“garrettwp, post:66, topic:177592”]The changes that PurdueGuy made should not effect the performance of the plugin, they are pretty minor changes. I would check to make sure that the daemon is running and connected to the ISY. This is most likely your performance issues.

• Garrett[/quote]

I do have the Running and Connected indications in the plugin’s dialogue. Also, the plugin continues to operate the devices that had been previously configured (other than that KPL issue). Also, one of the four devices installed yesterday did configure. I haven’t gotten around to a full uninstall/reinstall, but will hopefully get that done today.

Ok, so I deleted the plugin, installed the most recent build, and everything is operating as expected.

It is possible this was not, as suggested, related to the code at all. The plugin module, although fully functional under the ISY, is reported as an unsupported module in that system’s interface and one of the KPLs (6-button) that was not showing up today fried itself under its (light) load. I today added another dimmer and a motion sensor and those are appearing in the Vera interface.

So, the only issues remaining are the KPL response and an absent 8-button KPL, which is not propagating to the Vera. Is it possible that this KPL device is not supported (i.e., is anyone else using an 8-button)?

[quote=“PurdueGuy”]ISY now has beta Z-Wave support, so I have moved my Kwikset locks to it. I did lose the ability for codes and scheduling, but that is on the agenda to be added.

But I will reiterate, the Vera mobile apps win very easily. That’s why I keep Vera in the loop.[/quote]

How are you using Zwave in the ISY? Is the Vera being used as the Zwave interface?

I agree, Authomation is the lifeblood of my HA mobility. Maybe Garrett will add direct support for the ISY :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Ds514, post:70, topic:177592”]Ok, so I deleted the plugin, installed the most recent build, and everything is operating as expected.

It is possible this was not, as suggested, related to the code at all. The plugin module, although fully functional under the ISY, is reported as an unsupported module in that system’s interface and one of the KPLs (6-button) that was not showing up today fried itself under its (light) load. I today added another dimmer and a motion sensor and those are appearing in the Vera interface.

So, the only issues remaining are the KPL response and an absent 8-button KPL, which is not propagating to the Vera. Is it possible that this KPL device is not supported (i.e., is anyone else using an 8-button)?[/quote]

I have a mixture of 6 button and 8 button KPL’s and are working without issue.

• Garrett

[quote=“Aaron, post:71, topic:177592”][quote=“PurdueGuy”]ISY now has beta Z-Wave support, so I have moved my Kwikset locks to it. I did lose the ability for codes and scheduling, but that is on the agenda to be added.

But I will reiterate, the Vera mobile apps win very easily. That’s why I keep Vera in the loop.[/quote]

How are you using Zwave in the ISY? Is the Vera being used as the Zwave interface?

I agree, Authomation is the lifeblood of my HA mobility. Maybe Garrett will add direct support for the ISY :-P[/quote]

Not any time soon! I already have too much on my plate as it is. : P

• Garrett

[quote=“Aaron, post:71, topic:177592”][quote=“PurdueGuy”]ISY now has beta Z-Wave support, so I have moved my Kwikset locks to it. I did lose the ability for codes and scheduling, but that is on the agenda to be added.

I agree, Authomation is the lifeblood of my HA mobility. Maybe Garrett will add direct support for the ISY :-P[/quote]No, the ISY now has a Z-Wave dongle in beta, for $100. It is a daughter-board that goes inside the ISY. I excluded some devices from Vera, and included them on the ISY.

Re KPL presses as Vera Triggers: Rolled back to Dec03 build, certain that presses would start working again. Does not trigger scenes any longer in any build. Hard to explain. Will see if I can get the PLEG method to work.

Re 8 button KPL: Buttons work fine in ISY but there is a peculiarity with the load on this device. I am not sure if that could be a factor.

Update: Somehow, the native Insteon was still running, despite having clicked to remove support. This zombie service was possibly interfering as KPL presses seem functional now after killing it.

Glad to hear it is working!

• Garrett

Me too. A word to the wise:

[quote=“PurdueGuy, post:11, topic:177592”]The ISY works much better if it is left in charge of all links in the system. When you add a new device to the ISY, it asks if you want to:

[ol][li]Remove Existing Links[/li]
[li]Add devices found in links and remove existing links[/li]
[li]Add Devices Found in Links and keep existing links [/li][/ol]

It is recommended that you choose option 1, which will clear any links you created in the device. [/quote]

In addition, it may be best to be sure that Insteon is completely disabled in the Vera before proceeding with this. Yes, this may mean that a lot of work gets lost, but if this plugin is used, those original Insteon devices, scenes, and unobserved artefacts may be a hinderance.

Just installed ISY_20131203_v01.zip … suggestion: update post #1 with the latest so people don’t have to search every page :slight_smile:
It pulled in my 16 Insteon dimmers and I’m creating both ‘Programs’ (ISY) and ‘Automation’ (Vera) to test out how they both work.

• Programming the ISY, at least for simple If/Then/Else is such a breath of fresh air. I almost forgot how this stuff should be :slight_smile:

One issue and One FYI…

Issue… ISY Scenes do not work when controlling a light from Vera. In ISY you can create a “Scene” (linking two or more devices together - so they are synchronized). With this, when you control one device, either locally/manually or using the ISY - it will trigger the other devices in that Scene. When controlling any of those devices with Vera, it does not do this. I think what this tells me is that Vera. Clearly, not ideal :slight_smile:

FYI… Immediately after initial install, when I controlled an ISY Insteon device from inside Vera, the control worked, status reported properly in ISY but status in Vera UI never changed - Vera showed the device Off or whatever % it was when it was pulled in from the ISY. After Restart the ISY device in Vera - everything worked properly.

thanks for working on this guys!!!

It is actually in the MIOS apps repository, which is the main place to get it?it might be an installable plugin someday.

[quote=“Aaron, post:78, topic:177592”]It pulled in my 16 Insteon dimmers and I’m creating both ‘Programs’ (ISY) and ‘Automation’ (Vera) to test out how they both work.

• Programming the ISY, at least for simple If/Then/Else is such a breath of fresh air. I almost forgot how this stuff should be :slight_smile:

One issue and One FYI…

Issue… ISY Scenes do not work when controlling a light from Vera. In ISY you can create a “Scene” (linking two or more devices together - so they are synchronized). With this, when you control one device, either locally/manually or using the ISY - it will trigger the other devices in that Scene. When controlling any of those devices with Vera, it does not do this. I think what this tells me is that Vera. Clearly, not ideal :)[/quote]This is how it is supposed to work. That’s how the ISY works too. When you control a light from a physical device, that can be configured as a controller, so it will set the other light too. If you control just the light from ISY, only the one light with responsd. If you control the scene from ISY, the scene will respond. If you want to recreate that in Vera, you would need to do one of the following:
1- create a vera scene that calls “runScene” on the main ISY device
2- create a program in the ISY that runs whenever the “status” of the device changes to what should be the scene

[quote=“Aaron, post:78, topic:177592”]FYI… Immediately after initial install, when I controlled an ISY Insteon device from inside Vera, the control worked, status reported properly in ISY but status in Vera UI never changed - Vera showed the device Off or whatever % it was when it was pulled in from the ISY. After Restart the ISY device in Vera - everything worked properly.

thanks for working on this guys!!![/quote]Sounds like the daemon on Vera wasn’t running. If the daemon isn’t running, you can still do a bunch of control, but no status updates.

Gotcha.

Idea…
Can you add a feature where ISY Scenes are created in Vera as a Device?

• This would create some simplicity when interfacing ISY-Vera-RemoteUIs (like AHHD) and reduce the need to create Automation in Vera to trigger a scene.
  • My intent is to pull as much functionality from Vera into the ISY (keep Vera to a bare min). I use AuthomationHD and Zwave devices, so I still need Vera.

I need to find ways to move more Vera functionality into ISY…

[ul][li]Ping devices[/li]
[li]Weather[/li]
[li]Vacation Ghost[/li]
[li]Data Mine[/li]
[li]Vera Alerts[/li]
[li]Foscam / IP Cameras[/li][/ul]