Vera Hubitat Comparison

This shows you still haven’t even read the documentation provided by Hubitat regarding Zwave Repairs, as it doesn’t matter whether you personally agree or disagee, your opinion is NOT relevant nor in line with the directive stated by the company who designed the platform, as not only do they RECOMMEND doing the Zwave Repairs, in cases like yours with alot of battery powered devices they RECOMMEND doing MULTIPLE Zwave Repairs as battery powered devices are asleep so frequently…You can’t claim a company is at fault of something when you ignore their specific instructions on how it operates, and you are doing a disservice to those for the …

I have around 75 zwave devices with about half battery powered and my zwave repairs take no more than 25 minutes…but I actually followed their stated procedure on building my mesh…

Wow, 25 minutes? My 40odd zwave devices can be updated in homeseer in under 5. I never timed the vera heal so I never thought about the timeline.

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughts. I did follow their instructions for building my network. I’ve seen their documentation. Even though I might think I know something, I assume I don’t and follow their guides as written. I give them the benefit of the doubt and never claim to know what their box actually does. Of course I know what the brochure tells me it does, but its like Vera right? lol

I only say heals hurt the network because after doing two of them so far, each time after doing it once, it caused several devices to become unresponsive and some others to only half respond (all battery powered), AFTER it was already running ok. I had to re-include those devices to make them work, some of which were locks. Those are a pain. Other than the manual heal button that’s there, I cannot control anything else, so it’s a moot point whether I agree or disagree with it - things are going to happen on their own.

Anyway its never my intent to debate someone’s experience. If you’re happy with it, that’s super wonderful. I can only hope to be the same. But as usual with these things, YMMV. Everyone has a different experience, and these are mine. Thats what these forums are for.

In general I think it’s a decent device. It probably does what a lot of people want to do. BUT, it still has a learning curve. It still has forums with lots of people trying to solve problems - just like on here. It’s still not the promise of plug n play. I’m still spending hours programming the logic. I’m sometimes running into roadblocks because not everything in the logic is hashed out. I still don’t have drivers for some devices which make them unusable. I’m having a problem with a device which I purchased specifically because it was on the compatible device list. I don’t think any of these things are worse than Vera, but it’s definitely not a magic pill for everyone. To be totally fair I’d be doing the same thing on a new Vera. It’s just the nature of the beast.

Overall its a pretty good box considering the competition. Thats why I decided to give it a try before going for a higher priced Vera. I’m pretty open minded about these things but I can only relate what I observe and experience. It just hasn’t been totally smooth sailing for me.

1 Like

Just an update…

So after about a month with Hubitat, I purchased a Vera Plus. I’m finding that for someone like myself, Hubitat isn’t flexible enough nor detailed enough for my needs. That plus their support for devices doesn’t match up to what I currently own as much as Vera does. I’ve already had Vera for a week, and I haven’t transitioned any devices over yet. I just installed all my apps and added a few new devices I purchased which aren’t part of my “main” system. So far its been good and generally comparable to my UI5 experience. I dislike that manual routing is gone though. I liked that lot. At least Vera has direct associations. Hubitat doesn’t.

My problems with Hubitat aren’t great, but they bother me everyday. I have some door sensors that don’t report within a reasonable time frame, or if there is a lot going on, things don’t get reported at all. I’ve tried all kinds of normal trouble shooting steps like heals, exclude/include, etc. I just always have a door left showing open or a lock unlocked…just something that requires me to always double back. Most of my devices are only one room away from the hub! And if I’m trying to automate things off of that, things just don’t happen the way I want. Their Dashboard interface is also a bit slow compared to Vera and Homewave which I was using on my iPhone. I also purchased a z-wave plus device which was on their official compatibility list, and it didn’t work. I emailed support and after no response for a week, their forum guy confirmed that there is a bug and will be fixed in the next firmware. On the plus side, firmware updates are like every week or two almost, and they fix a fair number of issues and add improvements. But that same plus device works great on my new Vera from the getgo. Funny. I’m sure other people will tell me they’ve had issues the other way around. And I would believe them!

Overall my experience with the Plus and UI7 hasn’t been totally smooth either, but being experienced with a previous Vera unit (and PLEG, etc), the only adjustments I’m having to make are to the UI differences. I’m still having problems with the complete app list loading, but otherwise it’s been comparable to my previous Vera. I wish UI7 had the status messages up top like UI5! Although the problems aren’t similar, Vera has been no worse than my experience with Hubitat.

I will say though, Hubitat can be set up much faster, and it does work. I think for a lot of newbies to this type of hub, its a great unit, probably better than Vera. I think as time passes and improvements are made, both from the manufacturer and from users, it can become just as powerful as Vera has been for me. But as it stands today, it falls a bit short in what I’m looking for or used to. As I stated earlier, it will do that majority of what people want to do - for me like 85%. But that other 15% is what made me buy a Vera again. I think it just depends on your needs. Definitely do your research.

For now I’m going to use them concurrently as most of my devices are still captive on Habitat. I would link the boxes but Hubitat only has a link for other Hubitats. They don’t do the primary/secondary controller thing with other controllers. I’m still making modifications to rules on there, even knowing I’m probably going to be moving them to Vera. But we’ll see. I could always change my mind again. I wasn’t expecting to buy a Vera so soon, but I missed its in depth flexibility and device compatibility (to what I have) more.

You can enable this under Notifications Settings

Oh nice I’ll have to check it out! Thanks!

As I was looking to take down my hubitat which is only currently hosting a few plantlink sensors which I am no longer using for my automation, I just decided to get rid of my nest protect and replace them with Halo smoke sensors… and looking deeper into this, it looks like my only solution to support them is the hubitat. So It seems like I will be keeping both system running for some time. The vera will be focused on zwave which it seems to support a little better and the hubitat for Zigbee which is much much better implementated than on the vera. It is just interesting to see that all the devices I have on the hubitat are from bankrupt companies on the zigbee network: Plantlink, Centralite and now Halo…

I just wish the vera had fully implemented the zigbee HA2.0 instead of trying to support specific devices…and then let users help develop device support instead of taking all the responsibility upon themselves to support devices.

After leaving Vera for Hubitat in March been looking for a way to get some sort of use out of this overpriced $300 device and I finally came up with a great use case for the (no longer needed) VeraSecure.

The VeraSecure has an internal battery that is supposed to provide 4 hours of power to the Vera without electricity. VeraSecure also has a USB 2.0 port. I happen to have a USB adapter turning one USB into 4 power USB ports. So now I can use USB to power all 3 (2 at the moment) of my Hubitat Hubs, and in the event of an electricity outage Hubitats will have their own UPS now.

After initial testing I get just over 2 hours with 2 hubs and the Vera powered up on battery power.

That’s a very expensive UPS… Pretty sad that the vera secure is anything but secure or reliable…

1 Like

That sucks!

How is everyone who was trying it out liking Hubitat after a few months? With my Plus of little use after the latest “upgrade” and with no way to downgrade it I’m looking at buying another hub. After all the years of frustration fighting with my Plus, the lack of any progress in IFTTT and countless other areas to provide a way to work around Vera’s limitations, and with their poor software development system; I’m not going to be buying another Vera and am looking at my options. Thanks.

And I can’t blame you for looking at other options. I would head over to the hubitat forum to see what people say. I have never had any bricking of my unit and I found it to be quite stable. Fixes also come rather quickly but I never really liked the interface. The biggest thing which has prevented me from migrating has been this forum, how invested I already am in all my automations and the hope that all the basic low level issues with the vera would eventually get fixed but if I was to start fresh, I would not hesitate to go to hubitat.

2 Likes

Thanks @rafale77

Left Vera and been using Hubitat since March. Love it, and thankful everyday I made the decision only wishing I had done it much sooner. The only issue I’ve had and sporadically still have on Hubitat is Schlage (Zwave) locks as do many other users. The Zigbee versions work fine without issues. I personally believe the zwave radio in this newest C-5 hub is underpowered for “secure” communication, but have no way of verifying. Other zwave devices I don’t have issues with it’s only the locks that require “Secure” communication. Adding several Aeotec Range Extender 6’s has helped but I still think it’s a design issue with the tiny hub and zwave radio.

I got a Hubitat C7 a couple of weeks ago and have been very impressed with it - it’s everything Vera should have been, Fast, Stable and Reliable. The only thing I miss on Hubitat is @rigpapa amazing Reactor automation system. I find Rule machine a bit clumsy to work with (too many mouse clicks to do anything and hard to debug when you screw up).

The C7 Z-wave radio (700 series) appears to be a big leap forward in range over the previous C5 radio based on impressions from owners of both. My C7 range is at least as good as my Vera Plus was.

I’m keeping my Vera Edge to run my HVAC systems and selling off my Plus - the Plus was my Primary and Edge was my dev unit but now that it’s hardly doing anything (WiFi thermostats only) the Edge is more than fast enough.

1 Like

I also have a C7… Feel like you , miss Rigpapas Reactor. It feels like you have to totally rethink automationlogics with Rulemachine. Like Inveting the wheel again sometimes…

2 Likes

Yeah rule machine is ok, but Reactor is just brilliant. I love how I can see device states live, it just makes life so much easier!

2 Likes

I have a C5. rubbish compared to Vera. It hangs once a day. What is a Direct Association? no, have not heard … My devices work creepy and buggy.

Lol, the Hubitat forum is full of ex-Vera owners who strongly disagree with you.

I also know several of the best Vera Dev’s are also leaving due to the direction Ezlo is taking.

3 Likes

Rule machine was originally a SmartThings app. They got mad about being blamed for crappy ST services so they wound up making their own controller.

Hubitat may see a spike in users soon as ST finally sunsets the classic app and deprecates the old ST language (ruby?). I honestly think the depreciation is in part a way to keep hubitat from riding on STs coat tails.

ST has the user base (and Samsung pocketbook) to survive the transition but I suspect ST may be surprised at the number of devs they lose and how much “goodwill” they are going to write down.