Vera Support for Developers is Horrible

Yeah I hope the subject got your attention Sorin and others. I’ve developed a HomeSeer plugin that works great with Vera and has brought many Vera users back to using their Vera’s even if just for integration into their HomeSeer environments. I’ve been working with one user in particular where the plugin was not working. So as a good developer I’ve spent my time on a weekend and late nights as I’m in the US and this user is in NZ working through possible issues. It turns out that by chance I had the user verify the “State” the Vera Plus was in. Well in the sdata output the Vera was sitting with a State 2 which means the Luup engine is in an ERROR STATE. Why? I dunno I asked the user to contact Vera support to debug that issue.

He was told by VERA Support that it was NOT THEIR PROBLEM and that it was just my problem as the plugin author to fix. How? I can’t fix YOUR BROKEN LUUP ENGINE!!! So this vera is sitting in a State 2 even after a power cycle. There are very few devices ~20 z-wave devices and that’s about it… yet Vera support isn’t going to help this user? This is a Vera problem. Here’s the Mios document with the details of the Luup engine states.

[url=http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Luup_Sdata]http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Luup_Sdata[/url]

My plugin was developed following the guidelines, standards and documentation provided by Mios and Mios support and internal development.

At this point my end user is thinking to just move his devices completely to HomeSeer and put vera in a box… why not right? It’s in an error state and support won’t fix even look at it… It’s makes sense right, just move the z-wave devices over to HomeSeer they will work better anyways!!!

My users response? I think I might do that. So Vera great job of helping YOUR users and giving HomeSeer another full user!

Hello jeubanks,

Thank you for reaching out. I looked into the ticketing system and I see a single case related to this topic, which was investigated and resolved a few hours ago.
If the experience you’re describing is accurate, it’s most probably an escalation issue on our part. Could you please PM me with more details on the user that reported this problem, so we can track the correct case and check the status?

Thanks!

Hello @jeubanks,

I just wanted to emphasize that we do stand behind our products and we are supporting the developers in our community the best we can. The situation you’re describing shouldn’t happen, so I really want to get to the bottom of this and check where the disconnect is.
If you could please give me more details on this specific case it would be really appreciated.
Thanks!

1 Like

This was finally resolved… I did not hear back from the user whether it was his own trial/error or if Vera support helped. The problem was that Insteon was enabled but he did not have/use Insteon at all. Why this was enabled i do not know.

However the fact of the Vera being in a State 2 (error) and the vera support person just pushing this off because of the circumstances being around a 3rd party integration still stand and are clearly wrong. This was a Vera issue/problem that Vera support should have recognized and resolved.

I think there’s a huge disconnect somewhere. The only ticket we recently had about Vera being in a State 2, was resolved promptly, with a few email exchanges and an escalation, got the resolution in less than 18 hours.

No agent tried to push this off and blame it on a plugin. The Tier 1 agent was confused in regards to State 2. And as much as they’d love to help, offering support on development questions is not in their job’s description as these should be escalated instead. And this is exactly what he did, after realizing the issue is too technical. In less than 2 hours after escalation, the customer got a response with an explanation.

If you got a different perspective from the customer, please help me understand where the issue is.
We support our developers and their users and even though development related questions cannot be handled by everyone, we are escalating and doing our best to help. At the end of the day it’s in customer’s favor and working/collaborating constructively is our best intention.

Thanks!

1 Like