Video: Recover Bricked Vera plus

Hi. I have a plus which just has now the power light slowly blinking. I also have a Mac only. What are my options.

reach out to support they can use tftp

I have the same problem with my Vera.
Where can I find this file bin? Can you help me please with the bin file? Thanks!
dan.bojoga@yahoo.com

Hi, Did you find a good file for Vera Edge? It would be very useful to me, and I have equipment in the same condition. Thanks! (dan.bojoga@yahoo.com)

I know that you are pretty desperate right now but spamming the forum with multiple repeats of the same message is not going to help. You are not sending emails. You are posting in a forum. It reached everyone the first time.
I would encourage you to get this done through support instead through a ticket. I am not comfortable providing the file for one because it is important for you to know the source for it. I do not want to be responsible for bricking your unit. Second it is a pretty convoluted procedure which I am not sure if you are comfortable enough to execute. You are much better off letting someone else do it for you remotely.

2 Likes

My Vera Plus bricked while updating firmware from v 1.7.4001 to v 1.7.4955. Power light only. I contacted Tech support and they sent me the file G450-125-1.7.4125.bin. I performed the recovery procedure in these videos and used the supplied bin file. It booted up fine. I logged in to the vera and it came to the firmware upgrade page. I upgraded the firmware again. Same result. Bricked. Power light only. Tried the recovery procedure a 2nd time. It takes the bin file fine but then never boots. Power light only. Does anybody have any thoughts or things to try?

Hi,
did you solve your problem with your Vera Plus ? I am in the same case than you, waiting for customer support to reply me and probably send me a firmware file… However, if I can fix my vera, I am wondering if trying a second time the update process will succeed…

No, that Vera Plus ended up being sent back RMA. My theory is some Vera Plus’s have faulty memory and when this firmware changes the complete file system it breaks the upgrade process when writing to this memory space.
I would suggest to call the support number. When i called it would ask me to leave a voicemail with my info and they would call back. They did call back every time. Anywhere from 5 mins to 2 hours. My only other suggestion is to do the factory reset button pushes and just leave it set. One of mine came to life after hours of thinking it was dead.

Has anyone successfully recovered a ‘bricked’ Vera Secure ?

I’ve got one that won’t connect to the network, all reset button options have been tried but no luck, (power led on, internet and service both flashing) - I just can’t get it on to the network for Vera support to help. So It seems this ‘Bricked recovery’ route Is my only option . :cry:

Can anybody share a Vera Edge recovery/full firmware image?

I’ve bricked my Vera Edge. It seems to be a in boot loop of some kind. I can access SSH within a 2 second window but it’s not too helpful. I think I can activate recovery mode (all lights turned on but power and WLAN flash?) but I can’t do anything. (my e-mail is jklimek@gmail.com)

Managed to brick my veraplus by clicking on update firmware. Thanks @richie.digital for the videos. I can see the Veraplus from an old WinXP box that I have using the Vera3 recovery tool. However, I need the correct .bin file. Hoping someone like @edward or the customer service team can help me out.

Hi @aldenb
I see you’ve got in touch with our support team and they filed up your RMA request.
They will be with you shortly,

@Sorin Yes, the customer service representative was very helpful in working to resolve this with me. Looks like a replacement unit will be coming soon. Thanks!

@Sorin looks like I spoke too soon. No replacement unit will be shipped to me. If there’s a way to get the .bin file for Vera Plus that would be most helpful.

Let me check on this, Alden.

1 Like

sorry guys i havent use my vera in a long time so i am not too current

Hello, there was a problem when updating my Vera plus to the latest firmware, it does not start. Please share the*. bin file for my Vera plus firmware. I wrote to tech support, but they are silent. Thanks! e-mail: boopsi.nash@gmail.com

I’d bricked a VeraPlus I’d just bought on eBay by choosing the factory reset on firmware update.

I’d followed @richie.digital 's excellent videos, but all that ever happened was Power, Internet and Wifi briefly lit, and it reverted to solid power led and hung. Tried multiple times, with network switch as well as 1 direct CAT5 cable and connected to my normal LAN - always the same.

1st breakthrough: run the Vera and recovery laptop on a DHCP’d LAN with internet access using addresses 192.168.0.X - I had to dig out a mini router to achieve this. My normal LAN is 192.168.1.X

Having done that, the Vera was able to continue to perform the update, and it would get to a stage where I could ssh into it - success I thought, but I was still some way off.

The power, zwave and service leds were fast blinking in lockstep.

Initially and for some time, the Vera was not showing its ID as part of the command prompt.

I cannot provide a set of steps, as I was going round in circles trying different things (often multiple times), and I don’t really know which steps were important - progress was slow and incremental.

With the Vera allowing ssh (or shortly thereafter), I was able to add it via getvera, but although the site said it was checking for and applying updates, it never completed the process, and the Vera was never available to connect - it was always showing as offline.

Commands I used (at various times); things to bear in mind and the final important step

/usr/bin/cmh_Reset.sh all

(does what hitting reset 6 times within 6 seconds should do, and will remove the profile from getvera)

Start_cmh.sh

(if the Vera hasn’t obtained its own ID, it’ll throw messages such as unable to cat /etc/cmh/PK_AccessPoint (which should contain the Vera’s ID))

Start_LuaUPnP.sh

(will fill your ssh screen with various errors if its unhappy)

nvram show

(will show you the contents of non volatile RAM - it should contain the Vera’s ID, wifi password, etc.)

Attempt to go to the Vera’s internal web page on your LAN. If you get anything it shows the web server is working. If you only get spinny thing, then Start_cmh.sh might help. Bear in mind that the LAN address might change between firmware flashes / reboots, so keep in eye on your DHCP server.

If power, zwave and service leds are flashing, I believe it means it is still running diagnostics. To move on, press each of the buttons on the front once (including the reset). You’ll probably have to do this after each reboot until fixed.

reboot

Will make the Vera reboot and feels a bit less unceremonious than yanking the power.

After a while the command prompt sorted itself out into the form root@MiOS_5XXXXXX5 (the Vera’s ID).

I’d got to the point where the Vera was showing a web page of text, but complaining that the Luup engine is taking longer to reload and getting no further.

I was running out of ideas, so I flashed the Vera again (choosing as always, Uncheck and Erase All). That finally got the Vera working properly and to the point where it could be added via getvera and firmware applied via the web interface - and this time choose the option to keep the existing programming!

Sorry it’s not a decent walk through, but my big point is that even if you think you’ve hit a wall, keep trying, and repeating the commands and going round in circles - you can probably recover it without needing to go down the route of hacking the pinout and connecting via USB to TTL serial converter.

Hope this helps someone!

if it does this it means there is no space to wirte data, SSH in and delete some stuff especially in Cmh-firmware, then do the firmware flash again

Hi I have a bricked VeraEdge that I’m trying to revive…was able to get the firmware file from Tech Support and hoping to use the method shown by Richie.Digital on this forum…can anyone help me find the old Vera3 flash utility software to give it a shot?