Virtual Buttons for Alexa

Yes, Routines have to be predefined by the user. So, while you can make Alexa speak custom messages when a Routine is triggered, you have to enter the message manually via the Alexa app. Until Amazon lets skills dynamically create or edit users’ Routines, we can’t change this behavior.

Could you not let the api pick which routine is started?
Via a body params “routine”: " ROUTINE_NAME ".
Then at least we could get some dynamic behaviour.

Sadly, skills cannot trigger Routines directly or dynamically by name. Routine triggers are predetermined by the user via the Alexa app.

Virtual Buttons offers up to 40 buttons, however. So, as the user, you can create as many as 40 different actions, each one of which can be a different phrase or Action. You then pick which Routine/phrase you want to trigger by specifying which button to press via the API.

I hope the above makes sense.

Hi everyone,

I found a new, similar but even better skill on Amazons’s Alexa skill store: Virtual Routine Trigger. Here’s the link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FCKD62D/

The good thing is that you can use any web site or REST API as source for your triggers. You can create as many triggers as you like for free and don’t need IFTTT.

It’s also available worldwide, whereas Virtual Buttons can only be used in the US. So if you are an overseas Alexa user, Virtual Routine Trigger might be your friend.

Cheers, Hans

Seems it is not available in UK.

Hi ElCid,

You can change the link of the Amazon store to UK, Germany, Mexico, … This is the link for the UK store: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08FCKD62D/

Cheers,
Hans

Hi
It would appear that it is now available in the UK skill section of the alexa app, when i checked yesterday it was not there.

I would also correct you as Virtual button is available in the UK, saying that Virtual routine looks to be a better solution.

Hi,

You’re right, Virtual Buttons is also available in the UK. For me, Virtual Routine Trigger is the better solution as ist is more flexible and more open …

Regards, Hans

Hey…just to let you know there is a free alternative where you can create unlimited virtual buttons:

As well as triggering routines using an API you can also make Alexa speak (TTS - text to speech).