Washer / Dryer Notifications

Is energy monitoring for washer/dryer’s the best way to track usage and notification when a cycle is complete? Are there any other sensors?

Also, while my washer is 120V <15A, my dryer runs at 220V and I do not believe I have found any plug style adapters that work at that voltage (only hardwired devices).

What are folks doing with 220V electric dryers?

I’ve seen some mention of using vibration sensors, but have not located a z-wave one that looks like it would work. Most I’ve seen are made to detect glass breaking.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Where are you that you have dual voltage?

C

Why not just remove plug and add hardware device to washer cable and then put a plug on it… You will find dual voltage in many countries that use 110v as they use a 3 wire system, 2 phase and one neutral. 220v betwen phases and 110v between phase and neutral.

That’s a typical laundry room in a US (and Canada?) house these days. Dedicated 120V/15A for washer, 220V/30A for dryer. Sometimes a natural gas hookup for dryer as well, in which case the appliance will usually use 120V instead of 220V just for its controls.

You could wire in one of these and just leave it on all the time. https://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-Security-controller-electricity-consumption/dp/B00MBIRF5W/ref=asc_df_B00MBIRF5W/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=194019628201&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16499497792876218823&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033254&hvtargid=pla-307219546942&psc=1
It reports usage.
Or maybe one of these at the breaker. https://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-Aeon-Labs-ZW095-ZW095/dp/B00XD8WZX6?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_3016352011

For the Dryer I used a couple of Furnace pressure switches 1 for cycle end (no psi) & 1 for plugged Vent ( Hi psi). For the Washer, I ended up using a micro switch on the lid lock. Lid unlocks at end of a cycle or when other stuff needs to be added. All of this is wired into 3 Linear door switches. I then announce the end of cycles on wall mounted tables thru out the House & Garage. Wife thought it was petty stupid, but now if it’s not working I really hear

about it?

Do you know where there are any plugs for 220V? I could only find 120V ones.

Yeah those are the types of devices I saw. I was hoping for an easier solution such as a simple (cheaper) sensor designed for the application.

It appears for 220V the hardwire spliced solution is the only one out there.

That’s a pretty neat solution, but a little more complex then what I was hoping for.

I tried going the wattage route but found that my washer never went to zero & wattage in the cycles process varied a lot. On the Dryer I wanted to pick up the Dryer vent plug notification any way.

There’s this for high-voltage, high-power loads:

https://byjasco.com/products/ge-z-wave-plus-direct-wire-indooroutdoor-smart-switch-40a

It’s not inexpensive…

I saw that previously and don’t want to spend more than the value of the dryer on it :slight_smile: Maybe I’ll just rig up a sound sensor or something for my wife to listen for.

What about a motion sensor in tamper mode?

C

Think the Aeotec energy meter would be easiest, Home Energy Meter – Aeotec,
You can figure out what the energy profile looks like when it is off and alert on that. Assume you have a separate breaker for the dryer circuit.