Which Weather Station works best with the Vera

There is, of course, also an excellent plugin for the Netatmo weather station :smiley:

The Netatmo and the Vantage Vue, which he asked about, are not comparable. Anemometer, rain gauge, accuracy, are but a few major differences.

Fair enough, although the Netatmo now does have a rain gauge, I have to concur re. accuracy.

However, in answering “Which Weather Station works best with the Vera?”, Netatmo should be on the list… horses for courses.

[quote=“Don Diego, post:19, topic:173225”][quote=“garrettwp, post:12, topic:173225”]Just placed an order for the Davis Vantage Vue. I was going to order the Vantage Pro2, but did not have the need to locate the anemometer in another location (Limited to where I can mount the weather station due to home association). I am not to keen on the Vue’s console, but I can always add the Vantage Pro2 console later on down the road. My main goal is to log and broadcast the weather information online. I placed an order for a ftdi usb module to make a cheap data connection to connect to the console and my raspberry pi. I will most likely install weewx on the pi and upload the data to weather underground. Now just looking forward to getting the weather underground plugin to display more data on Vera.

• Garrett[/quote]

Garrett –

I see (from an old post) you have a Davis Vantage Vue. Have you found a way to interface the data so that is can be seen through Vera?

Don[/quote]

I have my Davis Vantage Vue connected via the usb interface that is reports it’s data to WeeWX software. The WeeWX software reports the data to Weather Underground and I use the Weather Underground plugin to pull the data from my personal weather station link. The same procedure that Z-Waver uses.

• Garrett

No, You just need to update the altid of the device - The TS/ORExx etc (HS/ORExx). Set autocreate to Off before the battery change and Grep the log to find the the “new/unused” id after the change. That way you keep the Device ID.[/quote]

in which log would I find the “new/unused” id ? The normal lua log ? I will have to change a couple of batteries on my temperature sensors soon and am not 100% sure where and how to find the new altid
What I did before let autocreate create the new device, then put the new altid into the old device in association. Which works fine, but seems more complicated and you also have a unnecessary device which you have to hide somewhere

[quote=“garrettwp, post:24, topic:173225”][quote=“Don Diego, post:19, topic:173225”][quote=“garrettwp, post:12, topic:173225”]Just placed an order for the Davis Vantage Vue. I was going to order the Vantage Pro2, but did not have the need to locate the anemometer in another location (Limited to where I can mount the weather station due to home association). I am not to keen on the Vue’s console, but I can always add the Vantage Pro2 console later on down the road. My main goal is to log and broadcast the weather information online. I placed an order for a ftdi usb module to make a cheap data connection to connect to the console and my raspberry pi. I will most likely install weewx on the pi and upload the data to weather underground. Now just looking forward to getting the weather underground plugin to display more data on Vera.

• Garrett[/quote]

Garrett –

I see (from an old post) you have a Davis Vantage Vue. Have you found a way to interface the data so that is can be seen through Vera?

Don[/quote]

I have my Davis Vantage Vue connected via the usb interface that is reports it’s data to WeeWX software. The WeeWX software reports the data to Weather Underground and I use the Weather Underground plugin to pull the data from my personal weather station link. The same procedure that Z-Waver uses.

• Garrett[/quote]

Hi Garrett –

Very clever…

Don

Hi,

I’m (a noob) and looking to get a Vantage Vue to replace my Oregon which just doesn’t have the range. Looking on the Davis site it says that the UK version transmits on 868MHz, which is the same as Veralite (isn’t it?)…now the newbie question…will the Veralite be able to receive the data as it’s being trasmitted on the same wavelength?

Thanks,

Matt

You should be fine. The Davis Weather stations can select one of eight channels, and they tend to broadcast only in small bursts every 1.5 seconds anyway.

See also this previous discussion.

I think @cojones is asking if Vera can receive the weather data directly from the Vantage Vue, since they share a similar RF frequency.

The answer to that is, no. Vera will not understand or know how to interpret data from the Vantage Vue. Only the Vue’s console can receive and decipher that data. If Vera sees anything from the Vue, it will simply be a brief moment of radio noise.

As @futzle states, the Vanatge Vue transmission will not interfere with the Vera. They do not share the exact frequency and the Vanatge Vue uses Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum(FHSS) transmission strategy, where it hops from channel(frequency) to channel for each transmission. Vera remains on a single channel(frequency).

Even in the event that the two might wind up on the same channel, they are unlikely to affect each other and in the even less like case that they did, it would only be for a second.

So another answer is “it can be done but requires additional hardware to bridge between the two systems”?

@akoober - With additional hardware, a serial cable at the least, ASCII data can be retrieved from the Vantage Vue’s console. I suspect that you might be able to code up a plugin that could interpret the data, but this will be well beyond the capabilities of most Vera users.

As I’ve said in a previous post, there are solutions to get the Vantage Vue data onto the Weather Underground website and Vera can easily pull that data using the Weather Underground plugin.

Vantage Vue(ISS) —> Vantage Vue Console —> Serial-to-internet solution —> WeatherUnderground —> Vera

Thanks, looks like I’ll need the weatherlink hardware too then.

Yes. This will make it plug and play. Or you can roll your own.

I personally use a Davis vantage vue with USB console / logger cable. I than use a beagle bone black that runs weewx software to post to weather underground and other weather sites.

• Garrett

I am always fascinated by weather. Recently I setup my personal weather station, which is technologically more sophisticated. If you want the best weather station, you can simply go through https://thehumannest.com/best-weather-station-reviews. I am immensely benefited setup my weather station from here.

I have been using an Oregon Scientific WMR300A for a few years now and very happy with it’s performance.

I spent a significant amount of time investigating personal weather station software and ultimately went with Weather Display (WD). WD is feature rich and specifically has two features that I was looking for -

[ul][li]Uploads data to WUnderground[/li]
[li]Can send data via HTTP GET to any IP[/li][/ul]

I run WD on a computer that has the weather station console connected via USB.

For Vera integration I simply have WD send the data I want to a Variable Container plugin variable. Below is an example for one of the parameters -

http://192.168.1.99:3480/data_request?id=variableset&DeviceNum=234&serviceId=urn:upnp-org:serviceId:VContainer1&Variable=Variable1&Value=%outdoortemp%

not sure if still useful but I am in the process of developing one… pls read below.