WifiRTSM - Control of 1-5 Somfy RTS Blinds from Vera over WiFi

I made a new version of my WifiRTS controller for Somfy RTS blinds. This one uses a Telis 4 remote so can control up to five separate blinds (or groups). I still use the USR-WIFI232 WiFi interface because it works really well and is quite inexpensive. The new design uses an Arduino Pro Mini to operate the Telis 4 in response to simple commands from Vera.

Using the Arduino reduces the number of small components required and simplifies construction. If you use the USR-WIFI232 Evaluation Board, it just requires four wires run to the Arduino. This project does require good soldering skills though. Attaching the wires to the Telis remote is quite fine work.

The new Vera plugin WifiRTSM creates child devices for up to five blinds. These are standard Vera WindowCovering devices so should be supported by all remote Apps. Personally I really dislike the normal UI tile for blinds so I have my own version. You could use either the standard or customized version as you wish but note that if you install my custom version, it will be used for all WindowCovering devices.

Instructions for construction/installation, plugin files and the Arduino sketch are in this package.

Very nice Rex, too bad my Roof Blinds are Velux io-homecontrol! Very nice project, nice manual, good documentation. Just a small hint, maybe you could use better photo quality in the pdf provided.

Thanks for the feedback, @wolfgangm. I’ve changed the compression my pdf authoring tool uses for images. The file is now 7x the size so, hopefully, a little clearer.

Thanks again @RexBeckett, even though I don’t need it I plan on making one just to learn something.

@wolfgangm could’t you use a Somfy IO remote in place of Rex’s Telis Remote and solder the wires. I can’t tell if the IO remotes have a channel select button, but it looks like they make a keyfob version that controls 4 devices.

edit: sorry didn’t see your post here: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,17086.msg169530.html#msg169530

Hi Rex,

Thanks for such an awesome effort on this plug-in.

I’ve gone ahead and given this a shot, I’m very new to Vera so forgive my ignorance. I’ve ordered all the parts, put them together, and followed your instructions. I have got the sketch to upload successfully to the Arduino, and I can communicate successfully over WiFi with the USR unit.

Unfortunately, after adding the parent and child devices per your instructions, I am not able to control them :frowning: Whenever I click a child’s button, say ‘up’, the parent device says ‘WiFiRTS Failed!’ I also note that there is no lights flashing on the USR to indicate data transfer (unlike when I browse the USR’s webpage).

I’ve double checked I’ve entered the right IP and port, and restarted luup a dozen times, but I can’t get the message to go away. Note that I have a Vera 3 and I’ve set it’s IP address as the ‘Server Address’ in the USR webpage, but I’ve set my WiFi router’s IP address as the ‘Default Gateway’ in the WAN connection type.

Do you know what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks again, Stibbzy.

For what it’s worth, I’ve attached some of the log… Also, pin 13 on the Arduino lights up, then goes out, when I issue a command (e.g. UP) from Vera. I think this means the command has been received and processed, so the USR must be working to pass the info along. But the binds don’t move… I’m running UI7 and I also get additional options for the child devices ‘Open/Close’. See screenshot.

PS, the remote still works manually (i.e. if I press the buttons on the Telis remote).

OK, For what it’s worth, I figured out the problem! Turns out it was simple in the end. Basically, I was using the WiFi Evaluation board. I connected the RX and TX pins from the Arduino to the ‘RXD’ and ‘TXD’ pins on the evaluation board per Rex’s schematic. However, I measured the line level voltage on those pins and I found I was getting ~ -5v quiescent levels. Turns out that those pins on the evaluation board are RS232 logic levels. I reconnected the Arduino pins to the ‘RXTTL’ and ‘TXTTL’ pins on the evaluation board, and now it works perfectly!

Thanks again Rex for such a great solution to this problem (I live in Australia, so I can’t use the Somfy ZRTSI interface either). I still haven’t figured out why I’m not seeing any icons on UI7, but I’ll take a look at that later.