Will this work for me?

I have a Samsung Smart TV model UN60JU650D and Vera Edge. I use the TV as a large monitor for a Mac Mini via HDMI.

I want to remotely (out of state) turn on the monitor, and turn off for clients. I have the TV plug wired into a z-wave outlet, but the TV does not always turn on from a cold start. The Mac turns on fine.

I do not need any participation in scenes either direction, just manually turn on and turn off. The computer is controlled via Logmein.

1. Will this plugin with a Harmony Hub (without a remote) do this? If not, what is recommended?

2. If I am in the room, can I still use the existing Samsung remote as I always have?

[I don’t have or want anything Alexa.

[quote=“krementz, post:1, topic:199361”]I have a Samsung Smart TV model UN60JU650D and Vera Edge. I use the TV as a large monitor for a Mac Mini via HDMI.

I want to remotely (out of state) turn on the monitor, and turn off for clients. I have the TV plug wired into a z-wave outlet, but the TV does not always turn on from a cold start. The Mac turns on fine.

I do not need any participation in scenes either direction, just manually turn on and turn off. The computer is controlled via Logmein.

1. Will this plugin with a Harmony Hub (without a remote) do this? If not, what is recommended?
You can, however don't these smart TVs have an IP interface too? There is a plugin called Samsung TV Remote that may work better for this.
  1. If I am in the room, can I still use the existing Samsung remote as I always have?
Yes

I don’t have or want anything Alexa.[/quote]

Cheers Rene

Thanks for the reply. I have a connected ethernet connection for streaming Netflix, etc. , but I have not found any information how to control the TV via the IP connection. Can you point me to any info on that?

There is an antique Samsung TV plugin on the getvera site, but it appears to be completely non-functional.

Hi,

I didn’t know that plug in did not work anymore. All I could find is this phyton example. Maybe you can convert the logic to the plugin to make it work again.

Cheers rene

Further research found that Samsung TVs prior to 2016 do not have any communication except via an IR remote. Therefore I need to get IR hardware.

Harmony Hub seems to be the best IR remote. Does anybody have any information regarding Harmony Hub, and how well it integrates, if at all, with Vera?

Are sure? I have two 2014-era Samsung TVs as side monitors in my theater, and both can be controlled via TCP (I use the SimpleControl iOS app on an iPad). The only thing you can’t do is turn then on via IP–they’re not listening when off, and don’t WOL.

Interesting. This was from a FAQ on the Samsung website.

In any case, I really need the ability the turn on remotely for my application.

[quote=“krementz, post:7, topic:199361”]Interesting. This was from a FAQ on the Samsung website.

In any case, I really need the ability the turn on remotely for my application.[/quote]
That can simply be done with the plugin.

Cheers Rene