ZRC-90 Scene Master

I’ve managed to get the Scene Master working on my Vera Edge via a Startup Lua script.

By viewing logs I worked out the variable changes that happened when buttons are pressed (sl_CentralScene), including detecting long press and double press (sl_CentralSceneAttr). The script watches the sl_CentralScene then uses the variables values to determine what to do.

I’ve placed my script on gitHub. Hopefully it’s of help to others struggling with this.

[quote=“Tiggerito, post:21, topic:191314”]I’ve managed to get the Scene Master working on my Vera Edge via a Startup Lua script.

By viewing logs I worked out the variable changes that happened when buttons are pressed (sl_CentralScene), including detecting long press and double press (sl_CentralSceneAttr). The script watches the sl_CentralScene then uses the variables values to determine what to do.

I’ve placed my script on gitHub. Hopefully it’s of help to others struggling with this.

https://github.com/Tiggerito/VeraEdge-Luup/blob/master/Startup-Lua[/quote]
I have this working on latest UI7 software except for reporting not found but ignore that. I have 16 scenes based on single or double press. I had this working on Edge too but that is now packed away.
I have not tested long push as 16 scenes is plenty.

Ps. I didn’t need to add any Lua

My device editor only lets me select scenes for button numbers, no options for double or long press. And then it does not work. It’s a brand new VeraEdge on the latest firmware.

Am I missing something with how to edit devices?

Same issue with the device detection. I have that with several light controllers as well.

When I added the ZRC-90 I used the generic device rather than the actual model type. After install it had all the waiting for device problems and purging associations but I just woke it up and left it and then rebooted vera. I always have the device not found but this can be ignored.
I do not add scenes via the device but create a new scene,
Trigger - Select a device, scene controller
Whenever device - A scene is activated
Which scene number - 1
How button is pressed - The key is pressed one time
Validate

Continue as normal.

Others on here have also managed to get the how button is pressed question and so on.

Don’t try to add existing scenes to the device as that always seems to mess up.

I didn’t even input the number of buttons via the device page. It seems fine without it.

As I said before. I have 8 scenes with single push and 8 with double push. That’s all I have tried. I have seen comments that some LUA can make it do dimming but I have not seen that. I cannot confirm or deny whether the key is being held or the key is released, sword. There is only enough room to put two tiny labels per key so I am happy with what works so far. 16 scenes for that price is fantastic.

I’ve tested this on both a Vera 3 and Vera Edge.

Vera 3, change parameters to D_CentralSceneController1.json and it works flawlessly first time, with single, double, hold and release scene activation in the Vera scene editor.

Same process on a Vera Edge. Can’t get it to do anything at all. Not even in PLEG.

Good news guys! The ZRC-90 scene master works with the new beta version 7.0.20b

I had tried everything suggested in the posts before, but never got it to work on my Vera Edge. My ZRC-90 would get stuck with “purging associations” and never fully configured.

Now I have tested it with the new beta on my old Vera Lite (would not suggest to upload the beta on your main controller!) and it seems to work allowing single / double click and constant press / release.

Hope the beta moves into a release version soon!

Having talked to support, it sounds like there is an issue with the ZRC-90 that the beta doesn’t address, whereby the ZRC doesn’t associate correctly (possibly due to some config in the z-wave dongle).
Backing up, then resetting the Vera (including Z-Wave network to a clean state, then adding the ZRC-90 works well with the new beta (it gets the correct JSON file etc) (although at this point you won’t have any other devices associated!).

I then restored the backup, so I had my other devices, and re-adding the ZRC goes back to failing. So for now, I have the choice of re-starting my network from scratch, or a working ZRC-90.

Hopefully support will come up with a fix for the association issue.

Hi,

I had it working great. All buttons configured for single and double push.

I just upgraded firmware to 1.7.2607 and now almost all buttons messed up. Most do not work anymore. Re-configure does not help.
HELP!!

This really sucks. :-[ >:(

Roland

[quote=“dorpjes, post:29, topic:191314”]Hi,

I had it working great. All buttons configured for single and double push.

I just upgraded firmware to 1.7.2607 and now almost all buttons messed up. Most do not work anymore. Re-configure does not help.
HELP!!

This really sucks. :-[ >:(

Roland[/quote]
Did you check out http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,47660.msg315111.html#msg315111

Guys, after a day or two researching possible replacements for my failing Aeon MiniMotes, I was ready to take the plunge buying a Remotec ZRC-90, BUT…

(a) The U.S.-frequency model appears to be out of stock everywhere (this is usually a bad sign in itself…); and,
(b) After reading the unhappy-sounding Mios Forum thread (http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,47660.msg315111.html#msg315111), I feel kinda scared away from trying the ZRC-90, even with the latest Vera Plus firmware.

Since you’re the ones who’ve used it, would you kindly give your opinion whether it’s worth me trying/buying the ZRC-90, or go with another model altogether? (I think the AeoTec WallMote Quad looks interesting and costs about the same, for example, while the NodOn Octan seems very clever and well-suited to my needs.)

THANKS! - Libra

This thread was before my time, but I have two of them working perfectly. I typically use Reactor to pick up the SlCentralScene value and the updates tag (working from memory).

If you want to trigger scenes, again from memory, you do it from the controller, not from the scene. Slightly counter intuitive.

Current FW implementations gives
Short press
Long press
Double press
Release

On every button so, in effect 32 buttons on each controller. Well I say 32 but I can really see what the point of the ‘Release’ is, or how (or why) you’d ever use it unless there’s a use case where you want to activate an action, then another action a variable time afterwards (i.e. by letting go)

C

1 Like

I use the ZRC-90 also, every day. Recommended to me by @hsd99 . It’s a great piece of hardware. No problems. Yes, supply is limited, but keep trying. I had to wait a couple of weeks for them to pop into stock to get mine.

1 Like

I have it, it’s working very well.

I will definitely get a ZRC-90 when able; meanwhile, I invested in a NoDon Soft Remote (Z-Wave model, the one that uses a battery), whose 4 buttons can control 16 scenes.

Fingers crossed that any oddities with its setup under Vera have been rectified in the past 3-4 years, but at least there are scripts to follow if not!

The guys over at zwaveproducts.com advise us that their shipment of ZRC-90 remotes was delayed due to the Corona Virus outbreak in China. They are expecting it’ll go out next week.

So if you wanna get a jump on ordering, email Al Ounbissi at alo@zwaveproducts.com ASAP!

And @Catman, thanks for the insightful info. I too had been wondering about the ‘Release’ trigger and its usefulness, leading me to surmise that it’s intended for:

(a) times when holding down your final tap keeps a Condition true for extra time, such that the Release can then act on an updated Value or Expression?

(b) elderly or impaired users for whom single-, double- and long-tapping is a challenge; one could leave those Triggers unassigned, and simply link ‘Release’ with 8 desired actions (a primitive form of ‘debouncing’ the button presses, in a sense)?

Either way, you gotta admire the level of thought given here by the manufacturer.

1 Like