Bellatrix bRight Switch Android touchscreen Zwave/wifi device w/open API

This one is from indiegogo. Forgive me if this is a repeat, but my search didnt show this up.

It seems pretty cool. I think it has camera, speakers, wifi. Kinda sounds like a phone turned into a wall light switch. They say it will run standard android apps too and will have an open API, so someone who knows what they are doing can integrate it to work with Vera, if that is even necessary because of the android app thing. This seems like something to investigate at least. It would be great to have this run your favorite vera control android app and it is cheaper than buying a tablet for every room. I jumped in for one – what the heck. I have that doorbot thing comming too – would like to have this run that app and serve like an intercom in an appartment building. Anyway, the link is below. Self serving (i know), but, they have a referal deal, so if you think it is something you would like, please use this link before backing. Thanks.

EDIT : please use one of the links in post #8. Thanks!

Bump. This one is ending in the next few days. I know that these crowdfunding deals have a checkered record at best, but this one does seem, to me at least, more interesting than many. Again this one is supposed to run Android and can run Android applications, so incorporating tasker and you favorite home automation app should be a simple task.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Very nice, especially if it plays nice with Z-Wave / Vera. This thing solves 2 important issues often lacking from similar or DIY wall mounted controllers:

• In-wall power supply, fitting a standard pattress box.
  • Includes a switch to replace the mechanical switch you’ll have to remove.

I’d order one (or a 5-pack!) in a heartbeat if they’d offer Euro versions. This looks like a fantastic product especially at that price.

The funny/sad thing is that this crowd sourced project is from a real company that could actually produce the device, rather than the cloudy and fanciful San Francisco startups that will never bring it to market. But, while the imaginary companies get funding many times more that their goals, this modest project from a real company doesn’t look like it will reach its funding goal.

I got this answer from the company :

HI Martin,

Yes, we will offer the EU version of Z-Wave. Thanks for inquiring!

The bRight Switch Team

/Martin

Wow… this thing is impressive. Solves many issues, such as form factor, mounting, power supply, and z-wave integration out of the box. Definitely interested.

It seems like it only offers up On/Off and Dimming through z-wave. I wish it would offer up some of the other sensors as well (light, motion, camera, etc) as well.

So unless they offer up and API, it’s not really great for a HA system unless you want to depend soley on these. However, they are priced in such a way that it might just be worth the cost to pick some up! 4 Days to decide!

Guys, I am glad you are interested in this product. I think it could really add to the experience. If you contribute, PLEASE go through one of these links as this will allow dferrey, SirMeili, inveltr and myself to get bonus switches.

Me:
Bright Switch: The next generation of wall tech. | Indiegogo

Dferrey :
Bright Switch: The next generation of wall tech. | Indiegogo

SirMeili:

intveltr:

Thanks. Also I am going to try to get some answers to some of your questions and post them back here!

I am almost 100% positive they commited to OPEN API. I’ll search their info and post back to you. Thanks!

CONFIRMED: Post from 24 days ago:

"bRight Switch is being developed with an open API. Our philosophy is to encourage others to help us make bRight Switch better. We will be happy to support developers in interfacing their applications once we are in production.

Thanks!
The bRight Switch Team"
"

[quote=“SirMeili, post:7, topic:178260”]It seems like it only offers up On/Off and Dimming through z-wave. I wish it would offer up some of the other sensors as well (light, motion, camera, etc) as well.

So unless they offer up and API, it’s not really great for a HA system unless you want to depend soley on these. However, they are priced in such a way that it might just be worth the cost to pick some up! 4 Days to decide![/quote]

These are some posts on the comments section of the campaing that mention Vera/Micasaverde:

Hi Jason,

We agree, a system using Z-Wave and especially one interacting with an Android application should integrate well with bRight Switch. Such systems (such as Mi Casa) often use a bridge. That bridge can also often link Wi-Fi commands into Z-Wave, Zigbee or Insteon switches. Since bRight Switch also includes Wi-Fi there are many options for home automation. We will be looking at individual systems in more detail after funding.

Best Regards,
The bRight Switch Team

This is very interesting and the only think holding me up is the switches I want to replace are 2 or 3 gang switches. I see a picture of a 2 gang cover but nothing about how to get it (or a 3 gang).

I found a question which says a 2 gang is available and refers to the “easy installation” section which I can’t find.

I posted a private question about it.

It would be very interesting if a single console (Vera?) could gather information, like temp, video, etc.) from each switch.

Thank you to whomever used my link!

I hope this can get funded. Spread the word the best you can!

I contacted the company and they informed me that they will be producing 2 and 3 gang faceplates that will be available with the product. I am not sure if that answers your question exactly, but it is what they wrote to me.

[quote=“dferrey, post:11, topic:178260”]This is very interesting and the only think holding me up is the switches I want to replace are 2 or 3 gang switches. I see a picture of a 2 gang cover but nothing about how to get it (or a 3 gang).

I found a question which says a 2 gang is available and refers to the “easy installation” section which I can’t find.

It would be very interesting if a single console (Vera?) could gather information, like temp, video, etc.) from each switch.[/quote]

My other concern is instant status (I have a specific use for it, though that may be mitigated by using these wall controllers). thought if they have an open API and there is a plugin written for the Vera to merge the z-wave and http api, it could mimic instant status. Another neat feature is if you could control other z-wave devices through it (for instance by connecting it to the Vera). So you could actually control more than 1 light with the touch screen (using micro switches, lamp modules and outlets)

Right now I’m considering if I should go this route or continue on my tablet crusade (place tablets in every room, on the wall, in docks, etc). I think this functionality could be closely mimicked using an app if some one wrote in the intercom and camera parts into their app (I’m talking to you ImperiHome and Authomation!).

[quote=“Wekurtz74, post:13, topic:178260”]I contacted the company and they informed me that they will be producing 2 and 3 gang faceplates that will be available with the product. I am not sure if that answers your question exactly, but it is what they wrote to me.

[quote=“dferrey, post:11, topic:178260”]This is very interesting and the only think holding me up is the switches I want to replace are 2 or 3 gang switches. I see a picture of a 2 gang cover but nothing about how to get it (or a 3 gang).

It would be very interesting if a single console (Vera?) could gather information, like temp, video, etc.) from each switch.[/quote][/quote]Thanks - I backed for $220 - I used your link, but did hop around a bit. Hopefully you’ll get credit. If not, I’m not sure if something can be done to correct it.

I did get credit – Thank you so much! Very kind of you to help out a fellow forum participant. You too can now share a link and can get credit for future funders also, I think. I hope they make the funding level.

[/quote]Thanks - I backed for $220 - I used your link, but did hop around a bit. Hopefully you’ll get credit. If not, I’m not sure if something can be done to correct it.
[/quote]

Great, glad that worked out. Now if you don’t mind :slight_smile:

Here is my sharing link. Maybe future potential backers can alternate between our links (or add their own). We can all help each other

[url=http://igg.me/at/brightswitchevolve/x/6305974]http://igg.me/at/brightswitchevolve/x/6305974[/url]

SirMeili:

I don’t know about the instant status, that would be something they have to answer. Your reasoning seems logical though.

Regarding your Tablet vs BRight switch, here are my thoughts. I was going to go with the tablet option, but it is a bit of a PITA – need a plug nearby, mount it awkwardly on the wall, loose and unsightly wires, young children pulling the wires out and attempting to remove the tablet, drawing a lot of electricity.

Originally, I set up a couple of tablets and wanted them to recognize voice commands – I used 3 apps – open mic +, tasker and AUthomation HD. I abandoned the idea fairly quickly, in part for the reasons I set forth above, plus my voice commands were not being recognzed well on tablets (as opposed to my Android phone which did pretty well).

If you have concerns regarding development issues, I would say just email them – there is an email address on the website I think for developers. I have no skill on that subject, so I can help you in a meaninfull or reliable way.

[quote=“SirMeili, post:14, topic:178260”]My other concern is instant status (I have a specific use for it, though that may be mitigated by using these wall controllers). thought if they have an open API and there is a plugin written for the Vera to merge the z-wave and http api, it could mimic instant status. Another neat feature is if you could control other z-wave devices through it (for instance by connecting it to the Vera). So you could actually control more than 1 light with the touch screen (using micro switches, lamp modules and outlets)

Right now I’m considering if I should go this route or continue on my tablet crusade (place tablets in every room, on the wall, in docks, etc). I think this functionality could be closely mimicked using an app if some one wrote in the intercom and camera parts into their app (I’m talking to you ImperiHome and Authomation!).[/quote]

It is a great idea and I hope you can share and get a free switch/device. I decided to check the terms and conditions on indiegogo set forth by the project creators because I was a bit confused, and there are some very clear limits on how many you can get and who can get a free switch. By all means try, but read what the Bellatrix people have posted and be guided by that information.

Edit:I looked at this again, and I am now really confused how it Works. I think it may be best to ask them directly if you qualify and if so, for how many maximum.

[quote=“dferrey, post:17, topic:178260”]Great, glad that worked out. Now if you don’t mind :slight_smile:

Here is my sharing link. Maybe future potential backers can alternate between our links (or add their own). We can all help each other

[url=http://igg.me/at/brightswitchevolve/x/6305974]http://igg.me/at/brightswitchevolve/x/6305974[/url][/quote]

Thanks Wekurtz74.

I like the idea of a single control panel/tablet and look forward to such a beast some day. However, these guys are simply cool and functional for me. I like the intercom feature, I like the display of the time and temp. I hope they complete the video to your phone idea and the video in general will come in handy. Oh yeah, and they just look cool :slight_smile:

I’m not holding my breath for funding though, they still have a ways to go. I expect before it ends I’ll add $65 more for another.