Bellatrix bRight Switch Android touchscreen Zwave/wifi device w/open API

[quote=“Wekurtz74, post:18, topic:178260”]SirMeili:

I don’t know about the instant status, that would be something they have to answer. Your reasoning seems logical though.

Regarding your Tablet vs BRight switch, here are my thoughts. I was going to go with the tablet option, but it is a bit of a PITA – need a plug nearby, mount it awkwardly on the wall, loose and unsightly wires, young children pulling the wires out and attempting to remove the tablet, drawing a lot of electricity.

Originally, I set up a couple of tablets and wanted them to recognize voice commands – I used 3 apps – open mic +, tasker and AUthomation HD. I abandoned the idea fairly quickly, in part for the reasons I set forth above, plus my voice commands were not being recognzed well on tablets (as opposed to my Android phone which did pretty well).

If you have concerns regarding development issues, I would say just email them – there is an email address on the website I think for developers. I have no skill on that subject, so I can help you in a meaninfull or reliable way.[/quote]

Hi Wekurtz74,

I actually plan/planned on doing a custom mount for the tablets in the locations that they’d be on the wall. I was going to use Nexus 7 2013s and mount the wireless charger in the wall (2012’s in docks in other places). Then, either using magnets or some of those “tablet wall holders” ($15 on amazon), just have them up there. This way, someone could take one and use it to watch hulu (netflix, pandora, etc), or take it with them to control lights. I am currently using ImperiHome for my tablets (AutHomation on my phones) and with their new plugin I can do things like turn on the tablet and turn to a specific dashboard when you turn on a light in a room (hence the need for instant status). I actually don’t currently have any plans on using voice recognition at this time as I don’t think it’s mature enough. I do plan on utilizing either the VeraAlerts TTS or ImperiHome’s TTS for whole house notifications.

I’m really drawn though with these switches. This is how I look at it:

Cons:

[ol][li]Unlike a tablet, once it’s dated, how hard will it be to swap out. They don’t seem to list the stats (granted, I didn’t look too hard). Swapping out a tablet should be relatively easy as long as it uses the same wireless tech.[/li]
[li]Unlike a tablet I can’t just take it off the wall.[/li]
[li]I’m not sure, but I didn’t see a way to hook the audio stream to a whole house audio setup. I would prefer this than to use the speaker on the switch. Perhaps this is what the BT is for, but that seems like a very limited solution[/li]
[li]I’m pretty confident that at this point in time, I could add a dry contact sensor for my door bell and have all my tablets wake up and go to a specific page (With a camera feed on it) and say something. I’m not sure I can that with this out of the box with my Vera[/li]
[li]Limitation to 1-3 gangs. I have some places that have 5 gangs. I’m sure they could overcome this. At the same time I want to be able to buy extras if possible[/li][/ol]

Pros:

[ol][li]Easier to add (for a tablet I have to do some electrical wiring, which I won’t have to do with these except the places that require a neutral and there is not one)[/li]
[li]Whole house Intercom (could be added to the other apps, but I have to depend on the developer)[/li]
[li] Cameras, mic, extra sensors, though I dont’ believe they said the’ll be accessible as IP cameras yet, once again limiting me to their app or the other wall controllers.[/li][/ol]

I think it’s great deal for the price, I’m just worried they won’t “fit the bill” for me and that if I get them (I would look at getting 5-10… one for each bedroom and one for a central area like the kitchen). I’m almost wanting to wait to see if they come out how much they’ll be and just wait (of course they have to get funded). It seems amazing to me that they have fit so much in that wall switch for so little money!!

I’ve asked some questions on the site and we’ll see what they say. I’m still on the fence, but I’m leaning more and more to getting some to try out even if I go tablets in most places.

Sirmeili, I agree with your comments and general assessment.

I am splitting the baby, so to speak. I am getting enough to have a meaningful demonstration of their ability at the reduced backer cost, and can add on later if it works out. They say that the price will be $100 for the basic one later, with the bluetooth one costing more.

As you said, there is nothing stopping us from a combination of tablets and these devices in a whole home solution.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

I agree, and they should probably hire you cause I think I’m gonna get some now…LOL

Dferrey,

I agree with what you said. For the cost, it is worth a shot. I don’t even know where I am going to put these yet.

As far as funding goes, that’s why I am plastering this anywhere I can… Facebook, google +, etc. I am hoping others will do the same.

I have seen a lot of pretty lame crowdfunding projects get funded, and the ones that seem really interesting and exciting fail, so I going all out on this one. The have come really far in th e last week, so I hope for the best.

[quote=“dferrey”]Thanks Wekurtz74.

I like the idea of a single control panel/tablet and look forward to such a beast some day. However, these guys are simply cool and functional for me. I like the intercom feature, I like the display of the time and temp. I hope they complete the video to your phone idea and the video in general will come in handy. Oh yeah, and they just look cool :slight_smile:

I’m not holding my breath for funding though, they still have a ways to go. I expect before it ends I’ll add $65 more for another.[/quote]

Just wanted to share these answers as I accidentally put it as “private” on indigogo:

Hi Frank,

The audio output from bRight Switch is via Bluetooth, so you can link into another system using a Bluetooth adapter. There is no wired output.

Yes, you can swap out Pandora for the music service of your choice.

Integration with MiCasa should be possible, but until we fund and test individual systems we cannot guarantee it.

Detailed specs on the unit will be released after we enter the production cycle after funding.

Thank You!
The bRight Switch Team

I’m not happy about the audio. It seems like it could be a cheap addition to add (an audio jack) and would even offer the audio capabilities to the red version (That is lacking BT). I’m not sure on the coding (Building code) issues with having a low voltage and high voltage connection like that in the same box, so perhaps that is why.

All I know that now, in order to hook it up to a WHA system, I would have to find somewhere to place a BT receiver and now I"m back to the same issues that Wekurtz74 said about having wires and stuff lying around. Of course I could just skip hooking it up to a WHA system, but I was hoping that this would work. I feel like this is a huge missed opportunity for them.

Hello All,

Hi, I am the Lead for bRight Switch development. I wanted to come here and thank you all for your feedback and for your contributions.

Specifically I wanted to say thanks for letting us know there is a desire for an audio output jack. This was not part of our design spec. After consideration of your comments, we have modified the specification to include an audio output jack to the bRight Switch Blue product.

Best Regards,
Ray

Thanks for posting this information. I am not familiar enough with whole house audio to comment intelligently. I use the sonos system, which has an android app and basically works over my wireless and cat6 without the need for audio wiring, and hopefully should be able to run on this switch.

I would be nice if they could participate in this board to address concerns, but I am not sure that it is allowed.

[quote=“SirMeili”]Just wanted to share these answers as I accidentally put it as “private” on indigogo:

Hi Frank,

The audio output from bRight Switch is via Bluetooth, so you can link into another system using a Bluetooth adapter. There is no wired output.

Yes, you can swap out Pandora for the music service of your choice.

Integration with MiCasa should be possible, but until we fund and test individual systems we cannot guarantee it.

Detailed specs on the unit will be released after we enter the production cycle after funding.

Thank You!
The bRight Switch Team

I’m not happy about the audio. It seems like it could be a cheap addition to add (an audio jack) and would even offer the audio capabilities to the red version (That is lacking BT). I’m not sure on the coding (Building code) issues with having a low voltage and high voltage connection like that in the same box, so perhaps that is why.

All I know that now, in order to hook it up to a WHA system, I would have to find somewhere to place a BT receiver and now I"m back to the same issues that Wekurtz74 said about having wires and stuff lying around. Of course I could just skip hooking it up to a WHA system, but I was hoping that this would work. I feel like this is a huge missed opportunity for them.[/quote]

Update on the referral program. New backers should qualify. See - the response I received below when I asked them to clarify :

Hi Xxxx,

Wow, I apologize. We just found the coding on the referral program that had old text:

For every supporter you refer ? get another
bRight Switch FREE!

Offer valid for the first 50 people who did not pledge to our first Indiegogo Campaign and limited to 1 referral each.
If you pledged to our first Indiegogo Campaign, this offer is valid to each of you and up to 3 referrals each.

This is incorrect. We are not limiting the number of free switches. If you are a backer and you send someone to the campaign and they back us by contributing for a switch, you get one free.

Thanks for pointing this out, we will correct it asap.

Best Regards,

I think they just sold me…after considering some of my comments they had this to say:

Hi Frank,

I recently caught your latest comment on Mi Casa Verde. Thank you for the feedback. It did not seem like a need when we specified the product to include an audio out, but you have opened our eyes. We are modifying our specification to include an audio output jack on the Blue unit.

Thank you!

Ray
Team Lead, bRight Switch

I still think they would be wise to put it on the Red one as well, but I think I’m gonna pick up 5 or more right now.

Anyone know what the dimensions of the in-wall part are? It’s nice that they’ll offer units on EU frequencies, but the thing also has to fit into our pattress boxes (and these are not the same in all EU countries either).

Good question! Send them an email at dev@getbrightswitch.com. They are good at getting back to you!

I added another switch (non BR) to my order. I think four of them will cover me. Although, a fifth in my garage might be nice :D.

Wow, impressive.

This really could be the wall mount tablet type of solution that everyone is looking for. Flush mount, clean look and looks to be very flexible.

Before I switched to Vera I had a Lagotek system. They were dual gang touchscreen z wave controllers that could also act as a lightswitch. They had a proximity sensor and a microphone to enable intercom and also answer and talk to a doorbell (The doorbell would light up the panels and play the doorbell sound, then open the video/audio feed). It was a great solution, but it was a closed windows ce system and the company closed its doors late in 2013. Plus, it was pretty expensive.

Just a heads up to those ordering. He said I can make as many contributions as I want in any combination. So I am going to do 2 for the buy 2 get 1 free. that should net me 6 for $440. The deal further down is 5 for $435.

I’m no proud, so like Wekurtz74, if you click my link to get one, I get a free switch if you contribute… If you click mine, great, if you click one of the others in this thread, that’s great to. At least some of us can get some free switches.

[url=http://igg.me/at/brightswitchevolve/x/5944897?c=activity]Bright Switch: The next generation of wall tech. | Indiegogo

[quote=“dferrey, post:32, topic:178260”]I added another switch (non BR) to my order. I think four of them will cover me. Although, a fifth in my garage might be nice :D.[/quote]The pace of backers is looking pretty good and now I think it will be funded.

No one’s bought through me yet :slight_smile:

[url=http://igg.me/at/brightswitchevolve/x/6305974]http://igg.me/at/brightswitchevolve/x/6305974[/url]

I did, took them all of 10 minutes to reply :slight_smile: The unit apparently is 66mm wide and 35mm high. I think it might be slightly too large for the crappy standard (round) Dutch pattress boxes, but they will fit the square ones. It’ll support 230v too.

I’ll be putting in an order for some of these.

I hit your link! Sharing mine :slight_smile: Bright Switch: The next generation of wall tech. | Indiegogo

I added your links to post #8 so they are not buried by later posts. Check to make sure the information is correct. Would be great if everyone got a couple more! Thanks to those who already used my link!

I hit your link! Sharing mine :slight_smile: http://igg.me/at/brightswitchevolve/x/6323008[/quote]

I hit your link! Sharing mine :slight_smile: http://igg.me/at/brightswitchevolve/x/6323008[/quote]I saw I got credit for one Thank You!!

I hit your link! Sharing mine :slight_smile: http://igg.me/at/brightswitchevolve/x/6323008[/quote]I saw I got credit for one Thank You!![/quote]

My turn?..LOL