Ezlo VOI™ step-by-step guide with videos

alexa should speak when you say simon says.
how about the timer
type
set countdown timer 20 seconds
you should get an alarm after 20 seconds

I tried the countdown timer. In the Vera app I got a text response saying “20 seconds, starting now”

However I hear no timer alarm on the Echo Dot.

Why does this work for you ?

Alexa region problem will be solved next week.
We are working on Countdown and offline problems.

1 Like

I was getting same results. Have informed Ezlo and they are working on it. seems to be EU server issue.

1 Like

OK I hear you.

I use Google Home and have Home speakers through out the house.

I only have one Alexa Echo Dot device in my lounge for testing some stuff but I rarely use it.

How do you know it should speak via VOI ?

On the Google Home VOI if I send these commands “what’s the weather like” or “what time is it” None of my Home speakers speak out load. I just get an appropriate text response to my question appearing in the Vera mobile app.

1 Like

simon says is a command, thats why

like set countdown timer is a command.

And what is the point of chating with google/alexa if all you get back is text, seems pointless

1 Like

@Goker when can we expect to see some updates for the Dashboard Configurator being pushed out to us, for further testing and feedback?

If you directly say to a Echo device “Simon says” then yes it should speak back to you.

I agree with you, that we should also expect that to happen via a VOI sent Simon says command for it to speak out.

However how would Ezlo VOI know which Echo device you want to send the command too? Or to which audio group etc.

I guess it remains to be seen what their full plans are for VOI functionality.

1 Like

I would think that it would be the last echo. But in reality you should be able to specify

I cant see the point of texting alexa to get a text response, specially when i can ask verbally. I thought the point of VOI was to integrate the 1000’s of third party devices and send commands

Try ‘announce its dinner time’ to.

I think we can now integrate any device that is supported by Alexa or Google Home in to Ezlo. I just integrated my eWeLink Wifi diffuser with Ezlo scenes. I can now turn it on and off and I also setup scenes to change the colour of the light on the device.

Its the native Alexa or Google Home commands we are not sure about like “Simon says” for Alexa should it indeed make an Echo speaker speak out or not ?

In Google Home I can say “Broadcast” then my message and it sends my message all round the house to all the other Google Home speakers.

I just tried in the Vera mobile app to send a text command of “broadcast hello” in the Vera app I get a text response of “okay broadcasting now” but nothing is heard on any of the Home speakers.

If I switch to the Alexa VOI chat and send a command of “announce hello” I get a text response in the Vera app saying “Sorry you can’t send announcements from this device yet”.

Voi is going to be great for integration (only down side is the cloud), but i feel that it would have been better to allow commands to, then we could include voice responses, weather, news, alarms etc into our scenes

Yes…almost 30,000 devices! All work with Ezlo.

Yes we get that part !

The bit we are not sure about is native voice assistant commands.

Not commands send to a voice assistant to control a connected device.

“Set an egg timer for 5 minutes” is a native voice assistant command.

If an Ezlo scene issued a VOI command such as this what should happen?

Currently it appears we get an appropriate text response in the Vera app, but the action is not carried out on the voice assistant speaker, for example the timer alarm sound is then later not heard.

Where there is no native Ezlo / Vera support for a device, but that device does support Alexa / Google Home then yes its cloud but least we can now control those types of devices from the Ezlo hub.

VOI is a brilliant idea !

2 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

Agreed. Just dislike cloud

Don’t we all.