Fibaro Double Switch (FGS-223) Lag

I’ve experienced UI / App / Scene lag where I have to repeat the action sometimes but never had my physical switches been overridden by the controller before.

Even if lights are turned on and off in quick succession, what you are describing doesn’t happen to me.

It’s good to hear that the lag is an issue that will get solved (eventually), which will make scenes & Alexa more useful.

Mine was okay to start with too, annoying but workable… but then she gets worse. Maybe it was adding more and more devices until my entire home was full of them, maybe it was just Vera being so under powered that she suffocates herself over time, whatever it was things just got worse and worse and worse and worse until eventually she committed suicide :frowning:

Thanks for the explanation Tillsy.

Now that I’m delving more into the app / scene side of it, I can also confirm I am having the same issues!

The UI shows the retry messages and the logs show stuff like ‘got a secure command for unsecure command class’ and various ‘DecryptMessage’ errors so this thread and other other one seem to have hit it on the head as to why (device seems to need non-secure mode).

I’m hoping that the next firmware will fix this as every room in the house has this module in the light switches.

PS. The same bad behaviour doesn’t appear to happen with the Fibaro Dimmer 2 FGD-212 which is also Gen 5, and I assume added in secure inclusion. It activates pretty much instantly with no retry errors / no log errors.

All sorted: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,82914.msg390399.html#msg390399

Sorry to hear of another person leaving Vera :cry:

What’s interesting that this has also been questioned on the Fibaro forums (Delays in reaction - Home Automation - Smart Home Forum by FIBARO) and their support informs users to include them as non-secure (then there is no problem).

What we need is a way/method to allow non-secure inclusions in Vera! Until it’s fixed properly, even if this was made possible via command line in SSH this would help the immediate problem otherwise all automation/scenes are pretty much useless if they contain this device.

There’s gotta be a way to force this controller to treat it as a non-secure device.

Could we modify backups and then restore them? Possibly change some of the xml or json files to trick the controller into thinking it doesn’t support secure?

I see from this ([url=http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/ZWave_Debugging]http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/ZWave_Debugging[/url]) old URL that there used to be a zwave_products_sys.xml which could tell the vera to us specific settings based on the manufacturer ID and product ID.

That file is no longer on my VERA, but maybe it will still honor it if I add it? And if we can get it to use that file, then we can modify the zwave classes to maybe enforce a non-secure inclusion?

Vera are aware of this and are working on it but there are no timelines yet.

I hope it?s fixed properly soon, or at least have a workaround until so as I have 19 of these devices!

You can add me to list as well as having problems, I recently bought my first Fibaro Double Switch relay module and it seems very slow responding to On / Off commands.

In the log I see:

ZWaveNode::HandlePollUpdate node 66 device 278 got a secure command for unsecure command class 0x32 command 0x2 m_iFrameID 5951/38258960 data 0x1 0x44 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x26 (#D###&) <0x769d4520>

In the UI7 web GUI if I manually turn Off / On the Fibaro relay module it says “Sending the Z-Wave command after 0 retries…” underneath and seems very slow at reacting to the button presses.

Likewise when using LUA code to turn Off / On the relay module it doesn’t react fast enough.

I have this relay connected to some outdoor PIR security lights and wanted to be able to send a series of commands for the manual override on the PIR security lights to keep them ON when I wish. The override power routine is OFF/ON/OFF/ON within two seconds.

I have the Fibaro relay connected to an outdoor light switch and using the switch I can get the override to work.

However when trying to do it in software its way too slow and doesn’t work.

I just commented about this on another thread here

Vera support said to me recently:

“The delays you encountered for the Fibaro FGS-223 switch when the scenes are running were reported to our development team and they are working on a fix patch, but for the moment I dont have an ETA for when the fix would be released.”

I don’t seem to have any issues with my Fibaro Dimmer 2’s apart from since the last Firmware update it started displaying the red banner “Can’t detect device” again.

So how do you tell if a device was included in secure or un-secure mode ?

new beta announced, still no joy for us :frowning:

That is really disappointing :frowning: even more so that it?s not even acknowledged as a known issue with this device (outside of this forum post)

It would be handy to know rough timelines - one month / six months ??

[quote=“fooey, post:50, topic:198800”]That is really disappointing :frowning: even more so that it?s not even acknowledged as a known issue with this device (outside of this forum post)

It would be handy to know rough timelines - one month / six months ??[/quote]

Vera support said to me recently:

“The delays you encountered for the Fibaro FGS-223 switch when the scenes are running were reported to our development team and they are working on a fix patch, but for the moment I dont have an ETA for when the fix would be released.”

How long though? Your guess is as good as mine.

that’s the standard response since we first reported it, about 12 months ago, just after they integrated the devices and claimed it was fully supported…

That’s not good then I assumed a recent firmware update had caused the problem not that the problem was 12 months old or whatever. :frowning:

I only installed my first Fibaro Double Switch a few weeks ago.

The latest beta (7.0.27) announces the Leviton DZPD3 plug-in dimmer as a newly supported device… The device was released by Leviton in 2014…

A Z-Wave and ZigBee sensor manufacturer from China I spoke to earlier today said:

“We didn’t test it use Vera Plus Z-wave controller, but we kept the communicating with them. Because of the business needs, they need charges fees for connecting our sensors, and the project speed goes slowly.”

So sounds like Vera are charging to have devices fully integrated / added to Vera. From a business point of view I can see why they would do that.

But not good if we want to add a device that then doesn’t quite work correctly or takes Vera ages to add that device for official support.

I don’t know why I didn’t consider in the past, the fact that Vera might be charging manufacturers to get on their official works with Vera device list.

But it might explain why some manufacturers just don’t bother doing it.

Some Z-Wave devices just work out of the box fine, others like the China ones I have been using recently are included to Vera but need tweaks with the device type XML and JSON files and often there are two devices, parent / child when there ought to be just a single device really.

it makes sense for unknown devices, but popular ones should be supported out of the box, unless you want your customers to move somewhere else.
but this is worse, because they declared the device as fully supported, but in reality it’s not, and they’d note it if they tested for more than 20 seconds, taking a look at their own zwave logs…

Don’t forget one of the biggest advantages of Z-wave is that everything works in a standard way so all Z-Wave devices and controllers automatically work together in harmony. Bahahahaha… reality is a completely different story!

I’ve come up with two ways of getting devices included unsecurely on the Vera and get can it reacting to Fibaro switches very fast - but with complete seriousness I honestly think I’ll just be causing you more pain, if you were to start getting your Fibaro devices working properly in Vera you’ll just then run into more problems such as Vera intermittently failing your scenes or crashing or whatever… honestly your solution is finding a better platform, Vera has some fundamental issues that aren’t getting the priority they need… but don’t worry they’re busy adding exciting new functionality on top of all this :frowning:

How do you include Z-Wave Plus devices unsecurely on Vera?

I would be interested to know as well.

EDIT : ignore below as this was a UI5 method not available in UI7.

Following on from @klathmon post above, theory seems to imply we could define a custom device xml for this device that maybe gets the device to add in non secure mode?