Fibaro RGBW Controller

I have started a dedicated post for the RGB Controller plugin :
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,32613.0.html

Just a tip, there is a new [url=https://www.hiline-lighting.co.uk/home/60-rgbw-led-strip-24v-5060440710001.html]https://www.hiline-lighting.co.uk/home/60-rgbw-led-strip-24v-5060440710001.html[/url] for Fibaro controller and that comes with the new SMD5050 quad LED chip (4 colours per chip, red,green blue & white). This is much brighter than previous versions of RGB+W because every meter has 60 quad LEDs and not 36 RGB + 36 white; also light distribution is smoother and is as having 60 RGB & 60 white LED chips per meter. Power consumption is 14.4 Watt per meter (24Volts).

Hello
I would like to run 20M of http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Newest-LED-RGBW-Strip-SMD-5050-chip-12V-flexible-light-RGB-White-4-color-in-1/32378842856.html?spm=2114.031010208.3.2.V4NsdX&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_2_79_78_77_80,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_9

If i buy 250Watt 24V power supply, does it mean that i can run it on single fiber controller? Should i use RGBW amplifier with that?

Thanks

The product you linked to is a 12Volt strip. You should not use a 24volt power supply for it. You should use a 12volt power supply.

The Fibario RBGW controller has a maximum 12volt wattage of 144 watts. The LED strip you linked to is 60Watts. This means that you should not use more than two of these strings(120watts) per Fibaro controller.

You need two Fibaro RBGW controllers and two 12Volt power supplies capable of 10 or more amps each, or a single 12 volt power supply capable of more than 20 amps.

Sorry 
 i linked the wrong product

How about this one?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-DC24V-5M-60leds-M-300leds-19-2W-m-4-in-1-color-RGBW-rgb-white/32258710622.html?spm=2114.031010208.3.29.Oh8KSi&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_2_79_78_77_91_80_61,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_9

Its exactly 288 per 20M

Beside that , i thought i can use 1 controller even for longer applications if using RGBW amplifier after lets say each 10M? like this one
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC12-24V-24A-Led-RGBW-Strip-Amplifier-6A-x-4-Channel-Output-Led-RGBW-Strip-Power/32307508834.html?spm=2114.031010208.3.2.Jw1cor&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_2_79_78_77_91_80,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_9
Am i wrong

See this video
https://www.google.co.il/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB8QtwIwAGoVChMIu-PN9cOByQIVAcAUCh1JjgYK&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DpgdGoAHn4bM&usg=AFQjCNFGWYz6my9JRJClOut3Cc0OuSWVuw&sig2=fyX6exDB8An3BiM4t_mQlA

If you try to use one 20m length you will get volt drop down the leds so that one end is brighter than the other. The video is correct that you will need a repeater after about 10m. If output from the controller is high enough, you could split the 20m into 2 x 10m and centre feed. If the output is not man enough (and i don’t recommend taking it to the limit) then you need a repeater as per the video. You don’t need multiple power supplies, just one big enough to power everything.

Hey guys, just read through the whole thread, awesome information. Hopefully someone will be able to answer this:

I have a minimote that I keep in the living room and would like to be able to control the RGBW light strips in my garden. I have the fan switch on the minimote set up to cycle through LOW->MED->HIGH->LOW etc
 and a long press is off.

Can this be accomplished with the five scenes? The only reason the fan is able to cycle through states is because it knows its current state. Is there a way to poll the RGBW controller to see what program (if any) is running, and then increment the counter from 6 to 10 (with a condition of program == 10 then program = 6)? I would love to be able to do:

Fireplace
Storm
Rainbow
Aurora
LAPD
Set level (#FFFFFFFF) to all lights on brightest

then have a long press on the minimote turn the lights off.

Thanks!

Bumping this back up, anyone know how to poll the current program that is running?

Hi

About to install my first Fibaro RGBW module.

Is it possible to also keep the current LED driver / IR remote ? Or will the RGBW module just replace them completely?

I’d like to keep the IR functionality as well if possible as my Universal Remote Control handset is programmed to control the LED light colours etc as well.

Thanks

EDIT:

Its in German but appears it might be possible!

[quote=“hobbitnate, post:238, topic:175646”][quote=“tomgru, post:206, topic:175646”][quote=“Dnomyar220, post:205, topic:175646”][quote=“tomgru, post:204, topic:175646”]I can’t seem to figure out how to start/stop one of the animations from a scene. I created a scene
 turned on the RGB device, then selected “StartAnimationProgram” in the advanced tab. but it then doesn’t give me any choice for a target value (e.g. I assume which animation I want to run).

Running the scene does turn on the controller, but no animation.[/quote]

I haven’t tested this yet, but below is what hobbitnate got working. Just add this luup code to a new scene, where 72 is your device ID. . I’m assuming that the 6 would change based on what animation you’d like to run. I would LOVE if Fibaro had a tool to create your own animations. That would make this controller so much cooler IMO.

luup.call_action(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:RGBController1”,“StartAnimationProgram”,{ programId=“6” },72)[/quote]

Hmmm
 didn’t seem to work. I’m guessing you still have to turn the RGB device ‘on’ as well
 but tried both ways. Funny that the “6” might be the animation program, since I only see 5 choices. I tried it with “3” and it didn’t work.[/quote]

The built-in programs start at 6 for some reason and go to 10. I use 0 to send the “off” command that seems to work. The programs are listed below:

6-Fireplace
7-Storm
8-Rainbow
9-Aurora
10-LPD (Flashing police lights!)

For Example, I have a scene that starts to Fibaro’s in my kitchen with the Aurora program. It runs the following LUUP code:

luup.call_action(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:RGBController1”,“StartAnimationProgram”,{ programId=“9” },88)
luup.call_action(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:RGBController1”,“StartAnimationProgram”,{ programId=“9” },90)

Then to turn it off, I have another scene that runs (or you can just select the main RGBW controller(s) and turn it off)

luup.call_action(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:RGBController1”,“StartAnimationProgram”,{ programId=“0” },88)
luup.call_action(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:RGBController1”,“StartAnimationProgram”,{ programId=“0” },90)[/quote]

Hi

I can’t seem to start these inbuilt programs using this LUA code.

I added the RGBW module and in the advanced area of the device it was using D_DimmableLight1.xml and D_DimmableLight1.json

I then saw this thread here and changed the xml and json to use D_DimmableRGBLight2 instead.

I now have a native Vera colour picker box and that works OK.

However when I tried to use this code to start a program nothing happens.

luup.call_action(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:RGBController1”,“StartAnimationProgram”,{ programId=“9” },128)

Why does the service ID say RGBController1 ? I tried changing this to DimmableRGBLight2 but it still does not work.

As yet I have not configured any parameters on the RGBW module, not sure if I need to do this?

Also I don’t have or plan to connect a switch to the RGBW module as it will just be sat behind my wall mounted TV and controlling the LED strips behind there.

Thanks

By manually setting the parameter #72 with 1 byte dec - 6 through 10, in the RGBW Controllers Device Options area, I am now seeing the various inbuilt animations / programs.

This works without any other parameters being added as well.

However I have no idea how to set these in a scene or via LUA code.

Thanks

It seems you need to have the RGB Controller plug-in installed for those LUA codes to work. After seeing this thread here I realised this.

The device id (139 in my case) is the id of the device that the RGB Controller plug-in creates and not the actual device id of the Fibaro RGBW parent device.

If I run this code now in the Test Luup Code area, it seems to change the animations / programs now OK, but it seems to work quite slowly to start the animation.

luup.call_action(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:RGBController1”,“StartAnimationProgram”,{ programId=“10” },139)

RGBController1 is part of the plugin and why I could not see it listed before in the Luup files list.

EDIT:

Created scenes now to start each of the animations / programs and this works much better at starting them more quickly.

RGBW - Fireplace

luup.call_action(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:RGBController1”,“StartAnimationProgram”,{ programId=“6” },139)

RGBW - Storm

luup.call_action(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:RGBController1”,“StartAnimationProgram”,{ programId=“7” },139)

RGBW - Rainbow

luup.call_action(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:RGBController1”,“StartAnimationProgram”,{ programId=“8” },139)

RGBW - Aurora

luup.call_action(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:RGBController1”,“StartAnimationProgram”,{ programId=“9” },139)

RGBW - LAPD

luup.call_action(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:RGBController1”,“StartAnimationProgram”,{ programId=“10” },139)

I then created a sixth scene to stop the animation.

RGBW - Animation Off

luup.call_action(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:RGBController1”,“StartAnimationProgram”,{ programId=“0” },139)

Looking good, glad you figured it out! Has anyone been able to figure out if you can tell which program is currently running?

Yes I am very pleased with how its all working now!

Just had a quick look in PLEG under Inputs and Device Properties and tried adding the Fibaro RGBW controller and also the RGB Controller plug-in device and looking at the various Capabilities available in the drop down list. I couldn’t see anything obvious to get the status of the currently running animation / program.

There were options to get the status, seemed to be 1 or 0 for on or off and also you could retrieve the current colour it appeared.

But I guess if it is at all possible to determine which animation is running, it would be exposed in one of those capabilities in the drop down lists.

The out of the box animations / programs are pretty good, I think Aurora is my favourite, nice slow colour fades.

Can the speed of these animations be adjusted though?

I just changed my burglar alarm scene and added in the LAPD animation if the alarm goes off. Also using the ImperiHome plug-in for Vera with a wall mounted Android tablet for TTS announcements “Bad boys bad boys whatcha gonna do whatcha gonna do when they come for you” :smiley:

Also its great that the ImperiHome app supports the RGB Controller plug-in, I now have a nice colour wheel in the app!

If an animation is running and then if you turn off the RGBW Controller and then turn it back on, it seems to default back to solid white colour.

Is there a way to have it resume the last animation upon turning the RGBW Controller back on instead?

Nope, the animations are handled differently. It won’t always go back to white, it will return to the color that you had selected before starting the program or when the lights were shut off last. You can verify this by setting it to a color, and turning the RGBW controller off. When you turn them on next they will be at the previous value. This also works for the programs: pick a solid color, start an animation, and press “On” on the RGBW controller, the lights will return to the color you selected before starting the program.

In other words, only solid colors are memorized, not programs. I wish there was a way to do this as well

Rather than cycling round the animations, which will mean always following the same routine, why not use a random number generator from 6-10 to start an animation whenevr you start. You could also set a random timer for the duration of each animation before moving to another random one. This way you don’t need to know what was last running.
Before you ask. I don’t know how to do the random bit in Vera but I am sure pleny on here do.

Hi

I’ve done a write up on my blog here, which might help other newbies with the setup!

I’m trying to install a system, I have 5 balconies that I want to put RGBW light strips on, I want them all controlled by one FIBARO RGBW Controller thru my Vera system but I want each balcony individually controllable via a zwave dimmable wall switch for off/on and dimming.

I’m having a hard time figuring out how to do have each balcony have it’s own zwave dimmable switch when they are after the FIBARO RGBW Controller. Any suggestions?