Heiman HS1SA-Z Smoke Sensor

Yes it is, but when I added the old one, I got 2 devices in UI7. With the new one only 1 (just On/Off)

I just changed the 3 lines as given in the first post. THen it becomes a smoke sensor. Even with battery. But when I push the test button, nothing happens in the GUI. It seems NOT to get tripped.

I’m not sure why the old smoke sensor added two devices in to Vera. Ideally you only want the one device.

I can confirm pressing the test button on my smoke sensor does change its icon to RED briefly in the UI7 web GUI.

Have you restarted the LUUP engine and refreshed your web browser since changing the new smoke sensors device type?

Thanks for your fast replies. Yes one device would be better. The old one added end 2018, gave me the 2 devices. And when I push the test button on that one, the icon blinks red briefly. Strance right? I will compare the vars in de advanced tab.

Yes I did reload both.

Also, pushing the test button won’t sent a notification. The old one does.

Looking at my original post, it looks like I added my smoke sensor in September 2019 and it only added one device for me.

Perhaps back in 2018 this device it was not included in the same manner as now and gave you two devices as you stated.

I have seen that happen with other Z-Wave devices like the Heiman door / window contact device, when I added mine, they did get included in to Vera as two devices and I had to do some manual work to make it one device only.

But it the cause the smoke detector or firmware update from Vera?

Firmware updates since you originally added the sensor back in 2018 may have some what improved how this particular device is included, as it gets included now as one single device not two devices as you noticed previously.

But clearly its not a fully supported device out of the box, or we wouldn’t need to change its device type as I described in the first post.

However this doesn’t explain why your new device now is not tripping correctly when pressing the test button. This should work.

Have you tested the sensor with real smoke?

When I first got mine I tested it by burning some paper and letting it smoulder near the sensor.

Likely however if it doesn’t trip with the test button a real world test won’t work either.

So is the replacement sensor also faulty?

Hard to say really, my sensor is currently working OK on the latest stable released version of the firmware for my Vera Plus unit.

Have you tried excluding the sensor and including it again?

How far away is the sensor from the Vera unit? Perhaps try testing it closer.

Thanks for your time, really appreciate it.

Didn’t test it with real smoke yet, will do that tomorrow. I also will open a support ticket.

So you added the device, it appeared as on/off. Then you only change the 3 lines and that is it?
And with the test button, the icon won’t become red for one second, but you get notifications?

Yes I added the sensor as a Generic Z-Wave device.

It added it as a Generic IO device with the on / off buttons. (Only 1 device was added in to Vera).

I then changed the 3 things to change its device type.

That’s all I had to do for this smoke sensor device.

Pressing the test button does trip the sensor and in the UI7 Web GUI its icon changes to red colour briefly.

I’m not using Vera’s own inbuilt notifications but Vera Alerts plugin, so I don’t know about that.

1 Like

I am getting alerts from Vera inbuilt notifications, both from preset modes notifications (giving category and subcategory params both set to 4) and device alerts. Also, untripping now works for me after change of device_json parameter from “D_SmokeSensorWithTamper1.json” to “D_SmokeSensor1.json”. I now have 3 sensors configurerd and all seems to work perfectly. Still on 1.7.4453, eagerly waiting for the new release.

1 Like

I’ve updated the first post with the suggested changes you guys made.

For those having issues too, www.betaalbare-domotica.nl helped me to solve the issue.

First, this issue was introduced 2 firmwares back. So indeed it worked with me before and also with you guys. But maybe it is even different in the latest, as I changed the 3 device properties, but that is not enough anymore.

Solution
Under Advanced for the newly added On/Off device:
device_type : urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:SmokeSensor:1
device_file : D_SmokeSensor1.xml
device_json : D_SmokeSensor1.json
category_num: 4
subcategory_num : 4

“New Service” → '“Reload Engine”
“Commands” → “Configure node right now”

Back to the device overview, watch the blue bar. Wait it cause the device to react, push the configure button.

Only after gives me the icon becoming red for a short time when pushing the test button.

1 Like

Thought it worked, but not. Changed the Wakeup interval in Vera to 86400 as it is the default in the detector and turned off Automatic configure to prevent updates to modify the config. Since then I have 3 sensors waiting indefinitely on Wakeup. Tested the procedure with “Configure now”, remove battery (which will generate wakeup) and it worked for some minutes, and then on luup reload (?) the waiting for wakeup returned.

Not sure why you have 3 sensors, maybe exclude and include the device again.

To wake up the device you need a pin there is a small hole on the side of the device to press the button with a pin 3 times.

Sorry, I was unclear, 3 HS1SA-Z devices not sensors. Excluded one of the 3 devices and made my changes again, one by one and a wakeup after each change. Isolated the problem to the setting “Automatically configure”. Setting it to “No” will put the device in a “Waiting for wakeup…” mode for ever.

Waking up the device works but have no effect. I am using 7.0.31 and made the change to “Automatically configure” to “No” as of info in the Release thread to avoid reconfiguring of the devices on next firmware update.

Changing this setting back to “Default behaviour” on all 3 devices put all devices back to normal operational state, without need of excluding and including again, but after waking them up with the pin.

I also ran that code to set all devices to not automatically configure before doing the Vera firmware update. Its still set that way now after the upgrade and my Heiman smoke sensor hasn’t had the same issue.

Unfortunately I made the changes after the upgrade, by using the UI. A bit hesitating to run the code now, due to the problems.

I believe the only officially supported Heiman device is the CO2 detector.

If you add a new device and search for “Heiman” that’s the only device listed.

If you have the smoke sensors configured and working OK I wouldn’t worry about having Auto Configure set to Yes.

Agree, at the moment all seems to work ok, apart for some unexpected “waiting for wakeup…” late yesterday, solved by the pin. Will have to monitor for some days to be sure.

Hi all, is it possible to link (or associate) several HS1SA-Z so that all sound the alarm when one detects smoke?

I tried to setup association, but didn’t manage to get it work. Not sure if that is even possible.

Thank you

Not that I’m aware of but I’ve never really looked into it.

If the siren can be triggered some how on the smoke detector manually then it would be easy to create a scene that when one goes off it sounds all the others.

1 Like