New Kodi add-on - "XBMC Z-Wave Vera Addon"

Hi @smarthomecomau and welcome.

I’ve installed the updated add-on files, from the same download link on your blog page.
Assuming that is correct. The add-on version currently says: Alpha 0.2.2

I have also switched to the default Confluence skin in Kodi.

But this newer version doesn’t seem to work at all for me, when I run the first scenes shortcut nothing happens and no messages pops up. When I run the second scene shortcut it just pops up and says “Debug Not Completed” but again the scene isn’t run.

Also when playing / stopping a video nothing happens the lights don’t dim or brighten and no pop up messages are seen.

I then uninstalled the add-on from Kodi and deleted its folders. I then installed it again and configured it again but it the same as above.

Tried disabling / enabling the add-on and restarting Kodi makes no difference.

However if I revert back to the older version of the add-on, then it all starts working OK again, albeit with the Check your Vera IP message still popping up, but the shortcuts then run the scenes and the video play / stop runs the scenes as well.

Also I think I have found a bug? When you have previously selected an XBMC Window under one of the Shortcuts in the settings and then if you later set it back to “None”, when then selecting that shortcut from the on-screen menu, a popup message then continues to appear saying

Shortcut 1 Active - XBMC Window Not Set

Thanks

Hi!
I tried this addon using the instructions at Blog - SmartHome but nothing happens. No scene is run and no notifications. Debug mode makes no difference.
Specifically, I use Kodi 15.2, Confluence. I set the Vera IP address, and added a scene for each video event. Disabled and Enabled the plugin as well as restarted Kodi. When choosing play / pause, nothing out of the ordinary happens. I also checked the vera log, but I don’t see anything there about scenes being run.
Any ideas?

Also, i checked the source code default.py, and I’m curious where the actual call to run the scene in vera is. I was expecting to find something like this, but did not.
http://ip:3480/data_request?id=action&serviceId=urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HomeAutomationGateway1&action=RunScene&SceneNum=123

Thanks

That’s because the current version on that download link seems to be broken as I said in my last post with that new build nothing runs.

I’m on it… I need to figure out how to incorporate the return headers from the Vera for error checking. The old version is back up for the moment…

Ok, I was unable to replicate the communication error - in other words, it was working as expected for me… If communication with the Vera was successful, then no error was returned. If communication failed, then an error was displayed via notification (even with debug mode turned off in the settings). I have now made the error checking notification dependent on the Debug Mode setting. This should fix the issue, however I am curious why some were receiving this error…

What’s next :wink:

Awesome, Thanks for the update on progress.
Going to re-install the plugin as i install the original which had the alerts about configuring the plugin.

Do you have any future plans?

Vera CCTV option to view cams?
Vera alerts pop up in kodi?

Thanks
N

Hi

This latest version seems to be working again OK. However when ever selecting a scene from the pop-up menu it does run the scene now but it always then says “Debug Not Completed” in the Kodi notification.

If I turn on the add-ons Debug mode in its settings and restart Kodi, then the scenes still run, but now it also says “Please check the Vera IP address…” and then says “Debug Not Completed”.

What’s next? The night mode needs integrating with the day or night plugin rather than just being able to set a time range.

Thanks

When playing and stopping a video with debug mode turned on most times it still says “Please check your Vera IP address…” but other times it does say “Communication Successful” so it seems a bit hit and miss with these notifications.

Same thing with the scenes popup menu, most times it says “Please check your Vera IP address…” but some times it does say “Communication Successful”

But the scenes are now run each time OK regardless of what these notifications are stating.

Thanks

What I’d really love to see is for this add-on to not only function as it is currently, but to also build on the on-screen menu idea for controlling your Vera.

There is a dead Kodi add-on project here which I wrote about here on my blog. That developer has no time or plans to update and fix the add-on.

The add-on was an interface within Kodi for fully controlling your Vera, it listed the Rooms, the scenes and the devices. Screen shots can be seen on the project link above and I have attached one here.

Combining these two projects would make this add-on the best possible add-on for Kodi / Vera 8)

cw-kid - your idea is gold! I will give this a look and a shake over the christmas break and see what falls out. Certainly got the brain ticking over :slight_smile:

I’m having exactly the same problems as cw-kid at play pause. It’s random. About 50% of the time, it works, and the rest gives the Check Vera IP error. Everything is on the same wired LAN.
What I find curious is the very short time between play action and the error message. It’s much less than a second. Makes me wonder if you could simply adjust the connection timeout. I don’t mind waiting a second or two for the lights as long as they work. Function takes priority over timing.
I’m not a python dev but I noticed there is extensive error checking on web requests in this similar plugin, perhaps you find something useful there: GitHub - KenV99/service.xbmc.callbacks2: pilluli's xbmc callbacks revisited

One feature I’d be happy to see is a scene to be run when Kodi quits. That way, I can quit Kodi from the “Sybu Kodi” iOS app and have Vera turn off the devices and open the curtains etc. Similarly a Kodi startup scene could probably also be useful.

This will be my new favourite Kodi plugin once stability is fixed. Great work so far!

Great!

Here is that add-ons source code on Github.

Below are the main issues we raised about that add-on also on Github here.

From memory the main issues with it where the following:

1. Only worked properly in Confluence skin no support for other Kodi skins

2. The list views could only contain a maximum number of 19 items, so if you had a lot of scenes and devices in one room, you could not
    see them all listed. (see my blog article Issue 1).

3. No option to hide scenes and devices from the GUI lists.

4. There seemed to be an issue with the scene and device icons not being displayed properly (see my blog article Number 3).

5. The Vera status feedback was a bit lame you had to press a force refresh button in the add-on for the GUI to update the devices status etc. (see my blog article Issue 2).

I think that was it, most issues and feature requests were listed on my blog article or on the issues page on Github.

If you could pull this off I think it would be a brilliant add-on for Kodi for controlling Vera from the Kodi TV screen and also to be able to run scenes depending on the playback status of Kodi as well.

Cheers

[quote=“wezzix, post:31, topic:190109”]I’m having exactly the same problems as cw-kid at play pause. It’s random. About 50% of the time, it works, and the rest gives the Check Vera IP error. Everything is on the same wired LAN.
What I find curious is the very short time between play action and the error message. It’s much less than a second. Makes me wonder if you could simply adjust the connection timeout. I don’t mind waiting a second or two for the lights as long as they work. Function takes priority over timing.
I’m not a python dev but I noticed there is extensive error checking on web requests in this similar plugin, perhaps you find something useful there: GitHub - KenV99/service.xbmc.callbacks2: pilluli's xbmc callbacks revisited

One feature I’d be happy to see is a scene to be run when Kodi quits. That way, I can quit Kodi from the “Sybu Kodi” iOS app and have Vera turn off the devices and open the curtains etc. Similarly a Kodi startup scene could probably also be useful.

This will be my new favourite Kodi plugin once stability is fixed. Great work so far![/quote]

I agree it seems like the timeout needs to be increased. I am also running Kodi on a wired PC on the same LAN as Vera.

I also think your idea for when starting / quiting Kodi to be able to run a scene would be useful for some users.

Hi all,

I have increased the timeout setting, please check and let me know if things are more stable now (I cannot replicate on my system, works perfectly every time).

http://www.smarthome.com.au/smarthome-blog/xbmc-vera-z-wave-addon/

Very interesting idea regarding running a scene on start/quit… could be possible and would certainly be handy. Will give it a go :slight_smile:

Hi

It seems some what improved it is saying more often now “Vera Communication Successful”. However sometimes it is still also saying “Please check your Vera IP…”

Also every time it also still says “Debug Not Completed” can we get rid of that message completely?

Where can the timeout setting be adjusted? I would like to increase it some more to see what happens.

Thanks

Latest update gives me no more timeouts. Works 100%!

So the timeout was the issue.
@cw-kid: The timeout appears to be set in this line here in default.py. You could try fiddling with that.

r = requests.post(url=url, timeout=0.500)

I noticed some spelling mistakes in the code, perhaps they are relevant to the function, perhaps not, I don’t know.

#Degub degug_mode = settings.getSetting( "degub_mode_state" )

Also, in the Configuration->Settings->Night mode there looks to be a spelling error (not that it bothers me!)
“Night Modeveramenue Activated”

Thanks!

I had a thought during testing. It would be useful to only run the scenes if in fullscreen mode. Sometimes I’m testing videos and stuff, and it could get a bit annoying if the lights went on and off then. But I only test in windowed mode, so if the scenes were inhibited in windowed mode that would be great.

degub mode!!! Seriously? Dyslecix much? That’s what happens when you stare at a screen for too long at 3 o’clock in the morning! Good pickup wezzix :slight_smile:

Hahaha. Priceless!

Super progress with this.
Is the current version 0.2.2 still?

Thanks
N