Rainforest Automation Eagle ZigBee Smart Meter HAN Gateway Plugin

Thank you so much for creating this plugin! I was wondering how I would hook up my SmartMeter. It will be so much more convenient than my old TED5000 was.

Currently awaiting activation from PG&E…

[quote=“robertmm, post:20, topic:175309”]I uploaded a slightly modified version of the plugin (0.2a) that works with the latest Eagle firmware.[/quote]Cool thanks.

I just had mine updated (Zigbee and HTTP interface) and as soon as I can get it linked to my meter again (took 4 attempts last time), I’ll give it a try.

By the way, I mentioned this before, but during the day when my solar panels are generating and pushing out to the grid (I hadn’t mentioned the solar panels previously), the displayed wattage number is very large. Anyway, Its not just SQ remote that does this (as I’d mentioned before), as Vera displays the same large number.

As soon as I’m pulling power (night time etc), then its normal.

@strangely: Is only the wattage number wrong? Could you send me the wrong number and the correct number (from the Eagle web UI)? I suspect it’s because the correct number should be negative, and the conversion doesn’t consider that (I don’t have power generation unfortunately so I can’t try). That would be an easy fix.

Yep it’s only the wattage number. It’s still not linked up yet, so it might be a while based on last time :slight_smile:

When you get it running, please do this (replace IP.OF.YOUR.EAGLE and 0xEAGLESMACADDRESS with your own):

telnet IP.OF.YOUR.EAGLE 5002

get_device_data
0xEAGLESMACADDRESS

Then record what it says under “0xZZZZZZ” I think I’ve got a solution, but need to know how long the “ZZZZZZ” number is for you (in my case, 6 digits or 24 bits).

I’ve uploaded a new version that should be able to deal with negative demand (wattage) values. It also uses a “real” parser, and smarter number conversion, so hopefully will be more robust if the firmware changes again.

Thanks, will try it tomorrow when the sun is shining again. Just noticed the damn thing has finally paired again.

Yet another small update that shows the link status (Connected/Rejoining/Unknown) and supports notifications based on that (my Eagle keeps disconnecting every 10 days or so and doesn’t automatically link up with the meter unless I reprovision)

Ouch, was this since the new Eagle firmware update? I hope I don’t have to go through this with SoCal Edison, since its not an easy process to do.

Ouch, was this since the new Eagle firmware update? I hope I don’t have to go through this with SoCal Edison, since its not an easy process to do.[/quote]

No, it’s always done that. I have been unable to figure out why. The distance to the meter is well within spec, and the link strength (when it’s working) is always 100%. The location doesn’t seem to matter either - it just won’t rejoin the meter (even when only a foot away from the meter). Support doesn’t have a fix either. At least we have a web site where reprovisioning is easy (but like for you it sometimes takes a few tries). Suspect the meter firmware at this point.

@robertmm,

Looks like everything is reporting correctly now along with the other changes you’ve incorporated.

Thanks!

I just built a notification on this plug-in in order to try to tell when the power is out. My first attempt was to trigger on <10 Watts of usage, thinking maybe the meter still responds during a brief outage.

Just a minute ago it alerted - but when I logged into the VERA GUI all the readings were “nan”. Power, From Grid, to Grid, Net - they all displayed the alpha “nan”.

Maybe a message was sent? I haven’t updated to the latest code or firmware (unless the firmware was pushed to the Eagle, I guess…)

nan is “not a number”. Did your Eagle have power loss too?
If you do the following from the command line (replace IP.OF.YOUR.EAGLE and 0xEAGLESMACADDRESS with your own), we could try to force “usage” to 0:

telnet IP.OF.YOUR.EAGLE 5002

get_device_data
0xEAGLESMACADDRESS

[quote=“wilme2, post:32, topic:175309”]I just built a notification on this plug-in in order to try to tell when the power is out. My first attempt was to trigger on <10 Watts of usage, thinking maybe the meter still responds during a brief outage.

Just a minute ago it alerted - but when I logged into the VERA GUI all the readings were “nan”. Power, From Grid, to Grid, Net - they all displayed the alpha “nan”.

Maybe a message was sent? I haven’t updated to the latest code or firmware (unless the firmware was pushed to the Eagle, I guess…)[/quote]

Can anyone confirm if this interfaces with the DataMine plugin? I can’t see why DataMine wouldn’t work but wanted to confirm.

What changes would be needed to get the usage monitored in EventWatcher? I think the Device Category Needs to be “M” AKA “21”, but I don’t know what controls the category…

http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Luup_UPNP_Files#Device_Categories

Yes it works with DataMine

Hi,

I am very excited, and grateful, to have found this thread. I am a brand new VeraLite user and primarily want this to help control my energy costs, and secondarily to automate my home. I already received some of my modules (mostly Aeotec smart switches) and discovered some key energy uses. I also have two of the Aeotec Z-Wave Smart Energy meter (one 1st and one 2nd edition) on order (will be here very soon). However, I have 400 amps coming into my house currently divided into 100A/100A/70A/50A (distr box, distr box, pool, A/C). If you don’t know the specs of the Aeotec by heart, it is limited to 100A. So I would need to order another 2 (for 4 total) at $80 to $100 each just to monitor my home energy. I started looking at other solutions (mostly through the forums) and went through NorthQ, YouLess, Ergy, Brultech… finally I came across this thread which lead me to the Rainforest Eagle and my compatible PG&E (Northern California) AXR-SD compatible meter. And I can enable it completely through the web with PG&E. I ordered the Rainforest Eagle tonight on Amazon with 2 day shipping.

I am super excited to receive this. It saves me money, has a direct connection to my electric meter, and I’m looking forward to the next step: data analysis! Much thanks to @robertmm and I would likewise (@wilme2) be happy to make a donation for this plug-in to continue support/development.

Hey all,
So my Rainforest Eagle arrived today! Setup was actually really easy. I was able to pair the unit through the PGE.com website in about 5 minutes and the signal says it is really strong which is surprising because it feels far away… kudos to Zigbee.

So everything seems to be logging well except… every 10-12 minutes if I have the UI open the Eagle device stops recording the data. I went out of the house for 3+ hours and it recorded fine, and then I opened the UI again and it stopped recording shortly thereafter. See screenshots… any advice? I have tried different settings for the pulse time but it doesn’t seem to make a difference.

If I click ‘reload’ on the UI it comes back again, but otherwise it just goes to sleep after a little while.
thanks!
Russ

Sorry to answer questions with questions:

Do you use any of the cloud services like Bidgely that you could correlate this against?
What are you using to log with currently? Perhaps we can use the same check if the behavior is the similar!?

Also what software versions do you have in your Eagle? I had mine updated by Rainforest a few months back, so perhaps this will have a bearing.

No worries!

[quote=“strangely, post:39, topic:175309”]Do you use any of the cloud services like Bidgely that you could correlate this against?
What are you using to log with currently? Perhaps we can use the same check if the behavior is the similar!?
Also what software versions do you have in your Eagle? I had mine updated by Rainforest a few months back, so perhaps this will have a bearing.[/quote]
I do not have this hooked up to any cloud services (yet). I am using the rainforest UI and watching the numbers change there and they get stuck in the Vera UI. I then go to the dataMine plugin (previous attachments) and can see that there has been no change in the data (either kWh or watts) for the same period of time.

These are the Eagle firmware versions:
HW 1.2.3
FW 2.0.24
ZB 1.4
RFA ID 20131030.40 (6200)

Russ